Kylo Ren Fabric

close up with a frayed edge also

I think this could really work ^^

also the UKFT got back in touch with 2 more suppliers to try for make the fabric !

It looks the part (without the third thread) BUT keep in mind that it's 70% polyester and the rest is wool. That will make it a chore to dye, if you can even get it dark enough. The poly will need a lot of heat- close to boiling from I've read. (Never tried dyeing synthetics myself because it's said to be so difficult.) The wool is easier to dye, but there's the shrinkage-factor to consider with the extreme heated water. Wool can also "fuzz up" if you put it in a washing machine. It'll be interesting to see how you fare with the sample. (Don't forget to measure it before you dye so that you can factor in how much it will shrink when you buy the main yardage.)

Hey everyone I showed the gals at joanns and they said we need to get a SKU for the fabric and they can order it so we need to do some homework. If anyone is using this as a 501st submission it needs to be exact.

Hey everyone I showed the gals at joanns and they said we need to get a SKU for the fabric and they can order it so we need to do some homework. If anyone is using this as a 501st submission it needs to be exact.

I will be using this for a 501st submission so I'm waiting until we find something definite or as close to as we're going to find

Same here my 501st buds are trying to help me out as well. I'll keep everyone posted once I get a sku. The rest of the material should be easy to find.

Same here my 501st buds are trying to help me out as well. I'll keep everyone posted once I get a sku. The rest of the material should be easy to find.

Don't speak too soon - I've been frantically searching for fabric that matches the exact weave of his sleeves which are supposedly cotton. So far I haven't found a match at Hancock or JoAnns. Nothing is quite right. Either it feels really good and drapes beautifully but has the wrong weave, or it has the right weave and it's stiff and uncomfortable against skin. I've got about 10 cotton swatches coming from an online store and I'm going to a large fabric store out of town. If I find the perfect fabric I'll share all the info here and in my soft parts thread.

Hey guys! I'm going for a 501st submission too. So I need it exact as possible. Can somebody PM me with details of the run (PayPal details etc). As I'm keen for 10 meters.

You are all totally amazing with your skills! Such a shame we are restricted in Australia with costume materials.

Thanks again guys!!!!!

The gloves may be hard to locate as well. Thanks that'll be of great help. I'm hoping to get started this weekend so I can be sized then start on his bucket.

For anyone considering this costumer for their 501st submission, please understand the most likely delays and patience that will be required on your part. We have a thread on Sith Lord Detachment forum to gather some of these same details and features of the costume as well. Due to there being no CRL (Costume Reference Library) it will be slow process getting this costume approved as this will be reviewed and approved at the legion level. So if you are trying for the legion first, when 501st will have that reference approved/created most likely there will be a bunch of you done and they'll have to review a bunch of submissions. Honestly due to what we officially know of the character, it has not even been confirmed what detachment he'll be a part of. Again, adding to your potential delays.

Not saying to discourage anyone but I hope you don't expect to be a 501st approved Kylo Ren in the next few weeks. :)

For anyone considering this costumer for their 501st submission, please understand the most likely delays and patience that will be required on your part. We have a thread on Sith Lord Detachment forum to gather some of these same details and features of the costume as well. Due to there being no CRL (Costume Reference Library) it will be slow process getting this costume approved as this will be reviewed and approved at the legion level. So if you are trying for the legion first, when 501st will have that reference approved/created most likely there will be a bunch of you done and they'll have to review a bunch of submissions. Honestly due to what we officially know of the character, it has not even been confirmed what detachment he'll be a part of. Again, adding to your potential delays.

Not saying to discourage anyone but I hope you don't expect to be a 501st approved Kylo Ren in the next few weeks. :)

bu-but i was going to submit for tomorrowwwww !!

seriously though good comment on the calmer heads prevailing i know the helmet alone is going to take a short while to be any good on my party, I'll also be aiming for clearance on the 501st but there are alot of variables involved

just saw the first teaser again in imax so much more clarity on that thread haha

It looks the part (without the third thread) BUT keep in mind that it's 70% polyester and the rest is wool. That will make it a chore to dye, if you can even get it dark enough. The poly will need a lot of heat- close to boiling from I've read. (Never tried dyeing synthetics myself because it's said to be so difficult.) The wool is easier to dye, but there's the shrinkage-factor to consider with the extreme heated water. Wool can also "fuzz up" if you put it in a washing machine. It'll be interesting to see how you fare with the sample. (Don't forget to measure it before you dye so that you can factor in how much it will shrink when you buy the main yardage.)

thank you for the insight !!

i'll keep everyone posted about my dying attemps when my dye arrives :)

I spoke to joanns corporate and they are going to view the material as well as the sleeves to help us out with all of that and I informed them what it was for so nothing less than that quality would work. They are more than willing and the lady shall be getting back to me Saturday. I sent the best pics of what there is on this thread as well as pics I have from celebration.

I spoke to joanns corporate and they are going to view the material as well as the sleeves to help us out with all of that and I informed them what it was for so nothing less than that quality would work. They are more than willing and the lady shall be getting back to me Saturday. I sent the best pics of what there is on this thread as well as pics I have from celebration.

Great news good luck be sure to send as many shots before they turned the display lighting on as a colour refrence it really helps get the colouring accross as well as the waxed/speckled coating

I informed them what it was for so nothing less than that quality would work.

Good call. Most places and people outside of this circle don't understand why it's important that it be EXACT. Most places will just go "yeah we have stuff like that" and come up with something similar but (for us) unusable.

News today ^^

UKFT got back in touch with two UK mills that could help us create the fabric the first mill i'd spoken too was unable to help s hopefully these two can! as always details when i have them !!

You're a hero m8 ;)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back