Kylo Ren Fabric

I can see a few issues with the publicly available basket weave options. Many of them are blends that require special dye processes. You can generally buy dye for natural or synthetic fibers and it may not work effectively on both simultaneously. (Also keep in mind that wool can react badly to heat and/or washing machines.) The weave is also pretty large in the real fabric- something that will be very difficult to find commercially, especially in a fabric that is soft, with enough drape for a cloak. (Most of the large-weave stuff you find is stiff upholstery-fabric.) Even the white cotton/wool above seems to have a smaller weave than would be needed. Then you still have the issue of reflectivity. To me it looks like it's polyurethane coated. Might even be that the coating changes depending on thread direction since it seems to be reacting differently to the light.

If you can get a mill to do accurate stuff I doubt you would have a problem moving 50 meters of it. (I'd probably get a batch too if it happens fairly soon.)

Oh.. and this thread should probably move to the classifieds, no?

I'm assuming that by coating they are referring to the fact that this material is coat weight not coated as in finish.
The plaque did say "coated cotton" - I was assuming it was either some sort of water proof coating or something to keep his cloak from fraying any more than they wanted to. Given that loose knit I feel like it would really start to fall apart if they didn't put something on it to keep it from doing so.

I'm assuming that by coating they are referring to the fact that this material is coat weight not coated as in finish.

A couple of the people that attended said that it had a metallic or pearlescent hue to it. So my best guess is that it is metallic coated cotton fibers. They do that by mixing metallic powder and a binding agent, and spraying the fibers with it prior to weaving. If that is the case... it's not going to be cheap to have that done.

I can see a few issues with the publicly available basket weave options. Many of them are blends that require special dye processes. You can generally buy dye for natural or synthetic fibers and it may not work effectively on both simultaneously. (Also keep in mind that wool can react badly to heat and/or washing machines.) The weave is also pretty large in the real fabric- something that will be very difficult to find commercially, especially in a fabric that is soft, with enough drape for a cloak. (Most of the large-weave stuff you find is stiff upholstery-fabric.) Even the white cotton/wool above seems to have a smaller weave than would be needed. Then you still have the issue of reflectivity. To me it looks like it's polyurethane coated. Might even be that the coating changes depending on thread direction since it seems to be reacting differently to the light.

If you can get a mill to do accurate stuff I doubt you would have a problem moving 50 meters of it. (I'd probably get a batch too if it happens fairly soon.)

Oh.. and this thread should probably move to the classifieds, no?

i'll set up a separate thread once i get that far for now this is still open discussion on the spec so i'm happy if everyone else is to keep it here and visible

I've also got in touch with the UK Fabric guild who might also be able to help in our hunt !

one mill has bowed out as they'd need to do 500m minimum others will take less still progressing more news as soon as i have it ^^

Oh I gotcha. I can't really see the sheen too much, I thought it was just the lighting from the display case

I'm really enjoying this thread so far, I'd rather not have it moved to classifieds until we actually have an order, price, and date! Because in the meantime we can share reference photos and discuss alternate fabric. Who knows, we may luck out and find the perfect fabric online somewhere.

I noticed this fabric this morning: http://www.fabricguru.com/p-fabricut/woven-upholstery-fabric-pewter-black

Buuuut it's sold out. And no idea if the weave was a large enough width or if the fabric was loose enough to drape properly.

What's the total length we have people in for at this point? I haven't calculated it, but with all this interest we've got to be around 50m now, right?

What's the total length we have people in for at this point? I haven't calculated it, but with all this interest we've got to be around 50m now, right?

Looks like ~12 are interested (edit: so far). Not everyone has a number for how many meters they want. I'm hoping to start drafting the overcoat and cloak this weekend so I can get an accurate number. It would be VERY helpful to know the final fabric's width so I could lay the pattern and measure properly.

The pearlescent sheen is probably a spray coating.... I say that because when you look at the shredded fringe elements you see there is no sheen.
image.jpg

(Edit) Lemme just start a new thread on the rest of his fabric & over-all soft-part construction instead of hijacking this one which is specifically on his overcoat fabric. I will say that I spent over an hour in a fabric store this afternoon and managed to find one basket weave but the color was wrong and the weave was just too small!

I found a few swatches for his sleeve fabric though and I'm talking to a 501st member to see which he thinks is the most accurate. I'm going to post more details in another thread, hopefully that doesn't clutter up everything. I always get anxiety about cluttering up forums & annoying other members.

Last edited:
I'm almost positive it's either black donegal wool or black merino wool. yesterday I would have said donegal, but after looking at some merino last night I'm starting to lean towards some weathered merino wool.

I'm definitely interested in a length, too! Will just have to work out how much would be needed (I'm 180cm tall if anyone else feels like doing the math :lol)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back