Real Webley/Fett ESB Rifle - Another Long Term Project Completed Pics)

Scott D

Sr Member
Last year, I posted pics of a custom OT era blaster that took me roughly ten years from concept to completion.

This Fett ESB rifle took fifteen years. :facepalm

This project "started" when someone on Bluefive's Obi Wan's Jedi Academy Forum made a post, saying that he had seen a Webley No. 1 Mk. 1 flare gun for sale in a pawn shop in Ohio. After getting the pawn shop's phone number from that fellow member, I was able to purchase it.

DSC09178_zps80ee3c94.jpg

The electrical plugs on the scope mount clamps came from a fellow RPF member a long time ago. The 22 lr scope and Heiland 3 cell came from Ebay. When I bought the rest of the conversion parts from Stormrider last year, I was able to get started.

Since the flash and scope aren't correct, I didn't try to match any one reference photo and did a couple things the way that I preferred, like the placement of the stock greeblies. It's painted flat black with some graphite weathering. The brass grip was aged with some Aluminum Black.

To be honest, this project was not very exciting . I prefer to build custom OT era props. There's more of a creative spark involved with customs.

At least there is the satisfaction in the completion of my last long term prop project and there was enough room to display it.

DSC03326_zpsz204cgbs.jpg

DSC03320_zpsdeayu1pf.jpg

DSC03300_zpsegr8rfr5.jpg

DSC09178_zps80ee3c94.jpg

DSC03326_zpsz204cgbs.jpg

DSC03320_zpsdeayu1pf.jpg

DSC03300_zpsegr8rfr5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If I may ask, what exactly did you do to get the nickel plating to that fine darkened blueing on the Webley? It looks back to the original finish.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the cord/strap. Where did you find that? From Stormrider?

Thanks, guys.

Teecrooz, I'm slightly obsessed with the Peak flashes. I scored a chrome plated one on Ebay recently with an extra oblong port (like on the Heiland flashes) and a different push button. (Smooth with a clear button instead of knurled with a black button) That'll probably be the most exciting prop related thing to happen to me this year. :)

If I may ask, what exactly did you do to get the nickel plating to that fine darkened blueing on the Webley? It looks back to the original finish.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the cord/strap. Where did you find that? From Stormrider?

After disasembly and bead blasting the chrome off, it was shot with Krylon flat black. I then rubbed everything with some old graphite gaskets from work, used an old tooth brush in the hard-to-reach areas and buffed off the excess graphite with an old t-shirt. I think I over-did it because it looks more "real" than the original prop, which looks like basic flat black to me.

The sling is original to the flare gun. It has some markings on the leather that makes me believe that it is British. I'm thinking Federal labrotories removed the hardware from the sling, chromed them, then reinstalled them on the sling.

I'm hoping someone with an original blued Webely w/original sling will come along so we can compare slings and prove my theory right. I didn't put the sling back on the prop because it would make my display look kinda messy.

Sorry to post again, but I keep coming back to this because it's just an awesome job you've done.
When you say bead blasting, is this similar to sand blasting? Is this a service that you sent the Webley out for or something you did on your own?

Holy ****** that's nice! I remember getting some photos from you of the sling a loooooong time ago. You need to re-attach it :)

Wow....very cool. I remember yours from sooo long ago when I was myself in the market for a real blued Webley. I still have some pics on my hard drive of yours IIRC. Awesome build after all these years!!

Holy ****** that's nice! I remember getting some photos from you of the sling a loooooong time ago. You need to re-attach it :)

Your long-term memory is much better than mine. :) I thought the only person that ever saw the sling pics was Jim Fowler. It's currently buried in the gun safe in an airtight plastic box. I'll get it out someday.

Wow! Probably the best I've seen so far. 15 years you said? That's a long journey..

Not even close to being the best. There's a lot nicer and much more accurate ESB Fett rifles in the hands of my fellow RPF members.

Wow....very cool. I remember yours from sooo long ago when I was myself in the market for a real blued Webley. I still have some pics on my hard drive of yours IIRC. Awesome build after all these years!!

Another long time RPF member! I'd be interested in ANY pics that you may have of my past projects. I lost almost everything on my old Windows 98 desktop, including every pic of my "Hardware ESB Fett Rifle" that was built out of a Crossman 357 pistol, PVC pipe, wood etc.

Sorry to post again, but I keep coming back to this because it's just an awesome job you've done.
When you say bead blasting, is this similar to sand blasting? Is this a service that you sent the Webley out for or something you did on your own?

Yep, very similar to sand blasting, except it's microscopic glass beads instead of sand. It almost looks like salt when it's new, but it looks like moon dust after blasting with it for a while. I have a bead blast cabinet at work, so I didn't have to farm it out.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the compliments! :thumbsup

DSC09346_zps7sbuq7dh.jpg

DSC09346_zps7sbuq7dh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back