Kylo Ren helmet

Mikki Haight

Working based off of this image:

wpid-bumblebee.jpg

I've come up with this:

kylo ren helm v1 screen 1.jpg

I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that it looks close before I go ahead and unfold it in Pepakura. So what do you all think?

The helmet's dome doesn't flare out and then angle back in - it just flares out. Take a look at the back of the profile view. The angle that you're seeing from the front is its curved bottom as it wraps around back because the head is lowered at and angle.

Nice work so far!

Looks good but it would look better if done using Zbrush or 3ds Max ;)

Yes, but I'm intentionally designing this for export to Pepakura, so I want as few polys as possible.

The helmet's dome doesn't flare out and then angle back in - it just flares out. Take a look at the back of the profile view. The angle that you're seeing from the front is its curved bottom as it wraps around back because the head is lowered at and angle.

I was wondering about that. Nice to have a few extra sets of eyes looking at it. The other thing I think is strange is how they had all those details on the lower faceplate initially and ended up with a flat plate on the production model. I personally like this look better.

I think Kylo Ren's mask can be built from Army of two templates. I may be wrong but they have many structural similarities.

I think Kylo Ren's mask can be built from Army of two templates. I may be wrong but they have many structural similarities.

The outer part of the eye sockets is too big on the Army of Two masks, but the rest is pretty similar.

Here's a screenshot of the initial PDO development. I'm thinking that it'll be too narrow.
kylo ren v1 pdo screen.jpg

The outer part of the eye sockets is too big on the Army of Two masks, but the rest is pretty similar.

Here's a screenshot of the initial PDO development. I'm thinking that it'll be too narrow.
View attachment 466667
Before you proceed any further may I ask you if you have seen the new concept arts released? Your pdo's head and eyes are quite spot on but the mouth piece is different.
star-wars-force-awakens-poster-kylo-ren.jpegstar-wars-force-awakens-poster-promo-1.jpeg
Also here are some display pics
Star-Wars-Celebration-Anaheim-2015-The-Force-Awakens-106.jpgStar-Wars-Celebration-Anaheim-2015-The-Force-Awakens-107.jpg

Actually I saw them the same day I started working on the version I have *facepalm*. Everything below the eyes is pretty much completely different. I really like the details on the cheekbone area, though I'm not sure they'll translate well to a PDO.

Actually I saw them the same day I started working on the version I have *facepalm*. Everything below the eyes is pretty much completely different. I really like the details on the cheekbone area, though I'm not sure they'll translate well to a PDO.

You would have to do the cheekbone area as a separate layer that lays on top of the bottom layer of mask. In fact this mask is all about layering. You have the bottom layer, the chrome detail layer, a bottom mouthplate layer, and a top mouthplate layer. And that's just the front :p

You would have to do the cheekbone area as a separate layer that lays on top of the bottom layer of mask. In fact this mask is all about layering. You have the bottom layer, the chrome detail layer, a bottom mouthplate layer, and a top mouthplate layer. And that's just the front :p

That gives me an excellent idea. It might be easier to just make a template for foam instead, and cut each layer from an appropriate thickness.

IMG_20150421_123652_978.jpg

Well, it fits (printed at 12 in (299cm) high. It's a smidgen on the small side but I'm not going to change it at this point. The tabs are on the outside because I'll be using the pepakura as a throwaway mold. The inside gets coated with sonite wax, then sprayed liberally with mold release. It's worked well so far, but I haven't tried anything this big and complicated with the process.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back