So, no RPF love for the new pilot, Poe Dameron?

Question: TLJ version of the chestbox, how can I light up the square button lights? I know about using LEDs, but specifically the square buttons themselves. I have 3D printed dark plastic. Where can I get white or translucent buttons so I can light them up with LEDs? Please share your secrets thanks.

We haven’t wired ours yet for the leds, but we did swap out the 3d print buttons for ones in laser cut blue and white translucent acrylic from the local plastic shop. Took me long enough to decide on our helmet paint schemes but the wiring is next :)

same, I used white translucent acrylic. I happened to have a piece that was actually a Tshirt display fold board. About 1/16" thick. I just cut them out with the dremel and shaped them to fit snugly in the openings, then glued them in place. You will need colored leds to go behind it if you use white acrylic. I used 1 red and 1 blue on mine.

I'm not sure what you could use that is readily available though....plastic silverware might work, maybe a white plastic knife if it's large enough?

I think you could also just use clear acrylic and dye it with idye poly or maybe even RIT for synthetics.
Haven't actually tried it for that purpose, but I dyed a visor from clear to red with idye and it worked OK.

If you can't find anything let me know and I can see if I can find the leftover white acrylic piece I used.

Last edited:
Thanks for responses. I have white acrylic coming soon. I'm taking it to a plastics place to be cut. I also ordered colored LEDs. I'm gonna attempt to wire something. Wish me luck.

Thanks again everyone. I'm all done. Everything works great. One more question: How is everyone attaching their chest box to vest? What are options or best method?

Good work on the lighting! Used a Tandy spring belt/holster clip on the back of each box. JB-weld and one small screw to secure the clip at the back. Form there it slides onto a loop at the top of the jumpsuit.

cheers

We going to start talking about Poe's new outfit in Episode IX or what?

Yeah, let's do it!

At first glance it looks a lot like his TLJ outfit, minus the jacket. However upon closer look—it's possible that every piece is new.

• I'm not sure about the pants—but they are likely new

• The shirt is different (I think I see arm and chest pockets), with sleeves rolled up.

• The boots appear to be brown boots like Solo wore in TFA

• The belt and holster are now separate pieces, with the holster appearing to be a drop holster similar in style to Cassian Andor's

New additions:

• Gloves (appear black)

• Scarf (patterned), also used as an arm bandage

• Military shoulder bag with attached bandolier across chest

I miss the jacket and am surprised to see Solo-esque boots, but in general it's a great look.

Once we get better photos, we'll definitely be doing the shirt and gloves, probably the pants as well. It'd be great if his boots are close enough to Han's that those can be used for both costumes as we already make those...

So after trying to find them for some weeks, I think I finally found the gloves they use for Poe in IX.

They're the same as Jyn's only that hers were fingerless. It seems like these gloves also come in black and white, but I can't seem to find any (in my size at least, amazon has 1 listing for a size large Amazon.com: Black Diamond Transition Glove - Black - XS - Closeout: Gateway ).

It seems for the movie they used the black and white ones, dyed the softer part dark green and the black leather was weathered with brown. Of course some mods were made to the strap and bottom part of the glove. But based on these pictures and the fact that a variation of them have been used on screen before, I have a strong feeling these might be it.

Edit: Just realized the pics don't look as high quality after being uploaded, but they're just screenshots of a closeup of the gloves in the Vanity Fair photos.

Attachments

• glove 2.png
    glove 2.png
    176.7 KB · Views: 167
  • glove.png
    glove.png
    211 KB · Views: 175
Hiya, has anyone found anything on the scarf and bag? Honestly, I think the bag is the hardest part to find as it is so odd with the clip-on strap. I was just thinking of purchasing an ammo shoulder bag and modifying it to make it look as close to Poe's as possible. I just am not sure how I would go about the strap... Plus, it doesn't help that I can't find any clear shot of the front of the bag itself. The scarf just has a unique pattern and I'm sure the full pattern will surface soon enough. Hopefully before the premiere.

Regarding the pattern for the scarf:
I think we should be looking for some sort of oriental dragon design.
If you look closely at the new pictures from the trading card, you'll notice the spike-like forms above the "scale-pattern" and these swirl-like lines farther on the right (suspectedly being the "whiskers" or hair of the dragon)

Poe Scarf.jpg

I think this shows a high resemblance to typical dragon-designs like this for example:

37-374911_asian-dragon-line-art-icons-png-dragon-from.png

Though they might have used an even more stylised design, like paper-cut or linocut:

556433fbdc8b0a0d1c2cfd48969bbc92.jpg
MS-1223__13534__48559.1521950704.386.513.gif.png

No perfect match so far, but you'll get the idea. Been already browsing through hundreds of pictures...
It's quite likely, they didn't use the whole image, but just some smaller strip to be turned into the scarf.
Just an idea to narrow down the search.
(I'll also try to improvise a whole design, using the parts we've seen so far).

At first glance it looks like "shemagh" material to me. I have a few, they are very breathable. I couldn't find a source for a dragon pattern one though, so maybe buying a plain one and printing / iron on might be doable.

At first glance it looks like "shemagh" material to me. I have a few, they are very breathable. I couldn't find a source for a dragon pattern one though, so maybe buying a plain one and printing / iron on might be doable.
Yeah, you're definitely right regarding the structure of the fabric! I was also thinking of something Shemagh-like. But the company I ordered the custom print from doesn't offer anything comparable. (I have to add though, that my scarf isn't as silky as it appears on the picture. It's more matte and open-weaved. Maybe it'll look better after some washing).

To not longer flood this thread with too many pix I've started a new thread for my work on that particular costume:

So anybody looking for details and references will find them there now
;)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back