So, no RPF love for the new pilot, Poe Dameron?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the chest box is attached or worn? I don't see any strapping to suggest it's worn like the traditional x-wing pilot. Looks like maybe it's attached directly to the vest? The Grunberg photo almost makes it look like it's mounted on a swivel so it can twist as your body moves, so as not to detach the hose. Or maybe his is just crooked.

The multi-layer vest altogether seems to flummox me. It's like, half flak vest, half life preserver.

It looks to me like it is all one piece. The vest and the preserver looks attached at the neck and front opening like its folded over like a lapel.

It also looks like the center of the vest in front is a hard plate that runs longer than the chest box. The box could be affixed to that panel. Also, I may see what looks like at least one side of the panel fixed to the underside of the vest using velcro.

I wouldn't put any money on what i said. It's a "see what you want to see sort of thing" at this point.

Not that it is much help but here is some concept art that just surfaced

image.jpg

It appears that the costume designers drew inspiration for the Royal Air Force (RAF) fighter pilot uniforms. Notice the chaps, tall turtleneck-type collars, rib-mounted pockets, lapel-like life vest, etc.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Sir+Chris+Hoy+Visit+RAF+Leuchars+Y0UJWUZxdevl.jpg
    Sir+Chris+Hoy+Visit+RAF+Leuchars+Y0UJWUZxdevl.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 3,059
Not yet, still debating if I want to do another Rebel Pilot or something else.

Sent directly from my brain through my NEXUS 7 using outlawed technology and weird science
Murdock_zpsaece32e9.jpg

Last edited:
has anyone started theirs yet?
I got the Wenaas coverall, ordered it over sized to get extra material. Pockets are on inside and needs to be replaced (I think).
The color is very Orange, but since it is a 99%cotton I will dye it with some red to better match the pictures.
This will be my fall project, just need to finnish my 2nd R2 first :D
Will post pictures in near future I hope.

/Sigge

I seen a YouTube video on this not sure on accuracy since their aren't much reference pics out there yet but looked pretty good it was a vac form kit.

I've been meaning to post these, but it's con-season-busy around here. Our group did a Star Wars-themed entry for SDCC Masquerade (Judge's Choice, whoohoo!) for which we had costumes from all three trilogies, including my Poe. We did as much research as possible (thanks in large part to this thread!) but some things we just had to guess on. Got the boots and the belt, my hose didn't arrive in time, so I had to go with my old X-wing suit hose. Didn't finish the print design for the chest box in time, so had to craft it out of fun foam fairly quickly. We modded the jumpsuit as appropriate, but my wife basically had to guess-design the flak vest as she went, and I think she did an amazing job. Anyway, lots of guesswork involved, definitely a beta test, but for six months before the movie, I think it worked well enough.

Poe 0.7
poe.jpgpoe group.jpg

Sir Rogue, That's a great first go at it. I bet some weathering and that would look really authentic. Of course we will all learn something to improve as we go along. Thanks for being one of the first. I know we have a ways to go to the movie, but what would you do differently now?

So I got myself a Wenaas orange overall to see if it would be possible to modify into Ep VII rebel flight suit.
I am NOT an expert in sewing or has ever attempted anything like this befor (I have made a Tusken , but then it IS OK to make mistakes... ;) )
Here it is laid out on my kitchen floor and pictures are taken without flash using the ambient light from window.

My first impression of this overall is:
- The cotton fabric is heavy duty and suitable material for pilot suite (even if it isn't the correct one)
- The orange is very ORANGE and not as "red" as in the online pictures (but it was easy to color)
- There is NO zipper, only buttons in front behind a flap covering them (maybe this could be left in place, if you are doing a full dressed pilot only)
- ALL pockets has to be removed and replaced/shaped to fit look in pictures (I didn't remove the rear pockets before dyeing it red since I hadn't seen the "behind" pictures from the second trailer..big mistake..as the red didn't get all in where the pockets were attached...weathering might hide this mistake :rolleyes )

WP_20150822_004.jpg
Close up of the threads showing pockets on the inside

WP_20150822_007.jpg
WP_20150822_010.jpg

I got an XXL to make sure I had some extra material if I have to remove/modify anything, didn't want to buy 2 overalls, since this is first try...

Then I got some Tulip Red Dye
WP_20150822_013.jpg

I didn't want it to be 100% red as there are some orange tone in the reference pictures IMO so I only used 1 box of dye and not 2 as the instruction suggested for the amount of material used...

Here is the results photographed under same conditions as before dyeing

WP_20150823_001.jpg
WP_20150823_005.jpg
WP_20150823_006.jpg
I forgot to save an unaltered piece for comparison, but found a few threads... :p

Compared with the reference pictures it looks a little to red IMO, but after washing it once more (and adding a zipper) the colors are pretty close I think :angel
WP_20150824_007.jpg
attachment.php

Well that is my progress so far :D

The hardest part for me right now is the pleating (or what it is called) along the arms and on the collar...
I have tried a few methods, but none will be consistent and that small "handmade" by me :$
So any suggestions?

:)
Sigge

PS nice find on the shoes Chris, maybe just cutting them down for size? DS

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back