So, no RPF love for the new pilot, Poe Dameron?

Well I think I know what those lower leg straps are for.

Mustang-Survival-image-Mustang-Survival-Deluxe-Anti-Exposure-Coverall-and-Worksuit-270x270.jpg

Tightening the the straps prevent water flushing if submerged.

I sure didn't like the look of the suit in the teaser, but now that I've seen more photos, I like it a lot more. Sure looks a lot more functional that the original trilogy X-wing gear.
But not a huge fan of the helmet, though.

What I thought was interesting in the article with Michael Kaplan was when he said "We re-used many things, like taking old military gas masks and tubes and hoses and kind of applying them"....while that hose that was earlier posted was a dead-ringer, I'm curious to know if the screen-used was in fact from a mil-surplus gas mask, yet as a militaria collector myself...I have NEVER seen a hose even remotely close to that shape.

I'm also positive his British PLCE belt that he has turned inside out is a newer gen "tactical" model, since the older models don't have that "ribbing" on the inside, which in Poe's case is shown on the outside. The ONLY models I can find that somewhat match are the OD ones with the brass-colored buckles: http://fkd.forceskitdirect.netdna-c...lce_webbing_roll_pin_belt_mtp_olive_green.jpg

Maybe the weathering on the main belt and straps were just very heavy, giving it that gray-color?

What I thought was interesting in the article with Michael Kaplan was when he said "We re-used many things, like taking old military gas masks and tubes and hoses and kind of applying them"....while that hose that was earlier posted was a dead-ringer, I'm curious to know if the screen-used was in fact from a mil-surplus gas mask, yet as a militaria collector myself...I have NEVER seen a hose even remotely close to that shape.

I'm also positive his British PLCE belt that he has turned inside out is a newer gen "tactical" model, since the older models don't have that "ribbing" on the inside, which in Poe's case is shown on the outside. The ONLY models I can find that somewhat match are the OD ones with the brass-colored buckles: http://fkd.forceskitdirect.netdna-c...lce_webbing_roll_pin_belt_mtp_olive_green.jpg

Maybe the weathering on the main belt and straps were just very heavy, giving it that gray-color?

I am pretty confident that the buckles are all the same silver color. I've sold those buckles in the past and I am also pretty sure that they all come from the same source overseas. The thing about those buckles is that something in the manufacturing process leaves behind a brassy luster. In some case, batches are more than others. The picture attached are some buckles I sold but I cleaned them first with a vinegar/salt solution to get rid of the brassy hue. You can still see some of discoloration in the knurling.

As far as the belt(s) color, I am leaning right now to a color called SAND DESERT MULTICAM MTP Seen here:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILITARY-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item8bbebd46df

I am leaning toward that color instead of another color called desert beige because the Multicam has a belt loop which is darker than the interior (or exterior as worn in the movie). A lot of the other offering the loop matched the belt color. I still believe the end result might have been achieved by weather and possibly dying too.

I think the green would be too dark to give the result we are seeing, even with weathering.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 205
Interesting. The ribbing going down the arms of the flightsuit is a different material than the flightsuit material (a different color). The weird turtleneck collar is also a different material, though it appears to be the same material as the ribbing...

And is it just me, or does it look like Poe is sitting in a rolling office chair in the picture above? :p

It even looks like you can see where they removed the head rest of a car seat or something. That round bit where the poles slide in. Anyone else think so?

The more I see the suit, the more I think it is based off an existing design. If so, the suit could have been obtained as-is and then modified by the costume department or the studio could have contracted the suit made with special modifications (plus some costume department mods).

Before I go further, I would like to state I am not married to any of these ideas including the possibility that this suit is a 100% design and made by the costuming department. I am still leaving myself open to any and all possibilities. Mostly this post is a just ideas running around in my head in regards to the suit. There are a lot of assumptions being made.

• As orange suit, it is obvious that this suit is made to be seen easily which means that the task this is used for has safety issues.
  • If the small straps at the bottom of the legs were not added after the fact, then they most likely for water survival purposes as seen on some suits or to keep loos clothing from getting caught in machinery.
  • The lack of pockets on the torso could indicate that used in the original tasking, pockets would not be useful or they might be safety hazards.
  • The loop on the zipper flap could be for holding sunglasses/pen or it might be a retaining loop to hold a tube or cord for required gear.
  • Leg pockets could have been added afterwards, but if not then the task requires the ability to hold items with quick access like an EMT. If simply for holding, I believe that designers would opt for zippers as you see on a lot of coveralls.
  • Elastic wrist cuffs. Seems that these are used in cases where the user is working around water and/or flammable liquids.
  • The reinforced stitching in the crotch leads me to believe that the upper thighs then to encounter a lot of wear/friction due to gear and/or external hazards.
  • As many others have indicated, the collar and arm strips are different in color from the rest of the suit so most likely added afterwards. The stripping may also be a found item.

FYI: I've been looking at several coveralls used for.. flying, racing (car/boating), skydiving, oil rigs, caving, water rescue, etc..) still nothing close.

Couldn't it be possible that they just bought a bunch of plain orange/red coveralls, cut up the extras for fabric and sewed the pockets onto the suits?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back