So, no RPF love for the new pilot, Poe Dameron?

May I suggest that the hose to the chest box may actually be some sort of beaded string - like alternating large and small plastic rings on a cord. It does not appear to spiral like many corrugated hoses. I've never seen hose quite like that.

Most air hoses on items like scuba gear, protective masks, oxen get masks, etc... Are not spiral. The spiral type of hoses are common in the cheaper plastic hoses we tend to use to build props/costumes. For instance, costumers tend to use the cheap and easily found dryer hose for the original trilogy x-wing pilot chest box, but the real hose is from an old piece of aviator survival gear.

I'm not saying it can't be fabricated, I am simply stating that the lack of spiral does not make that conclusion 100% correct.

Nice work.

If this is true, and I have no reason to believe it is not, then I think we need to question what color the items actually are. Because to me, the belt looked gray based on tones and probably psychological since the old pilot costume belt and straps were gray.. So if the belt is green, are the leg straps, cuffs, flare holder also green? Or are they a mix of several colors? Just something to think about.

I feel the belt is green and the straps grey, this is what I see when I look at it. If you look where the two join they seem to be a different color. Black/blue or White/gold!!?!!?!

I've looked at various hoses and tubing, old and new. My focus has been what is available in the UK since a lot of other found items are also from there (local to production). Still nothing. To me the hose looks like the segment of the hose is shaped as if a large ring alternates with a small ring. I am open to the possibility that by stretching out the hose and the picture that it is just an illusion.

It's taken people up to 38 years to find found items used in A New Hope so I also am not saying after a few minutes of searching, I think the hose is fabricated. I just don't have enough info to make an educated guess.

However if I was forced to replicate the hose right now based on limited visuals, I would use a rubber hose/tube and fit over alternating large and small o-rings running the entire length.

I think your looking for this. It has the same look and it appears to have that Big ring-little ring look to it.: x-wing 7 hose.jpg

You can get a close look here: http://www.flighthelmet.com/mm5/mer...FHL&Product_Code=OXYP-1023&Category_Code=OXYH

That's pretty much like all the other 02 mask hose out there. It doesn't have the bulbous look around the smaller section (once again I refer back to my prior statement about lack of good visual references) that appears to be on the prop. It's simply the material between the rings being stretched.

This is what I see. No stretching; just a deliberate pattern.
LQtvh6E.png

NXV5hw3.png

My impression is that this is entirely custom made.

Hmm.. How about using a ribbed black hose and two sizes of grey O-rings in the grooves? ... Would that work?
Or maybe there are both grey and black O-rings.

Hmm.. How about using a ribbed black hose and two sizes of grey O-rings in the grooves? ... Would that work?
Or maybe there are both grey and black O-rings.

The problem is that each section is the same thickness, but different diameter. If you use O-rings of alternating diameters, the thickness will also alternate.

Mm... But it could also be that for each small grey ring there are two small black rings and the larger-diameter grey O-ring would sit in the groove between the two black.
Maybe the smaller grey rings are just painted ribs on the hose (or the opposite: grey hose, black paint).

The more I stare at the picture, I think that the larger-diameter grey rings are thinner than the small-diameter grey rings. The "grey" rings also look vaguely metallic...
I think that it is most likely that the hose was cast in foam rubber but I am trying to think up easier ways to make one for a costume.

Just a thought, but since it's meant to look like a hose, but doesn't actually have to be a hose, what if it's just something like cast urethane.

Don't laugh or roll your eyes, but I saw something similar done on Face-Off once.:confused

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back