So, no RPF love for the new pilot, Poe Dameron?

What I've done in terms of the scaling of the (dutchprops) helmet is I had someone measure my head on what was the Z axis for the model, then put that measurement in. Lucky for me it actually still (barely) fits entirely on the bed of the printer in one go! I am still a total 3d printing newb so take anything I say with a grain or 20 of salt.

Good (UK) morning Guys.
I've been working in the past days to the chesbox backplate for the TFA Pilot.
This is my firs attempt at 3D modelling and I'm pretty happy how it turned out. I tried to respect most of the proportions as much as I could from the limited footage available of this piece. I scaled it with the chestbox which has been sold via RL forum.

The backplate is 92mm wide and 156mm long with a thickness of 4mm.
From the reference I got It should be something like this...
This is the last version 2.5

Sizewise it will be like this picture but here you can see V2.4 which has a bigger central groove.
IMG_20160229_202019.jpg

F

Last edited:
Keep in mind , the tape measure is not exactly aligned with the left edge. I was struggling with holding camera steady and holding tape. I think the box is between 4.5 and 4.75 inches. But I'm sure any box you guys make is good enough. I'll buy one!

I make only the backplate for the box. I have a run on the RL forum :) if you are interested and not a member, shot me a PM

F

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I think that little indent is an extra pleat, but instead of running the thread through the middle of the pleat, they are running it through the fabric very close to the fold. I don't think batting would be necessary as the fabric itself has body and cartridge pleating will add texture.

Lynn

I'm late to the conversation, but Lynn and Dokworm had some good analysis back on page 23 regarding the pleated strips on the sleeves and collar.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with a shirring/pleating or smocking tape... if that would help with construction of the pleated strip?

I've been scouting for an appropriate fabric. The outdoor type fabrics concern me, because they don't breathe, and I'm not wild about the idea of wearing an olefin for 12 hours at DragonCon. :unsure

I did find a white cotton duck at Walmart (no "flecks") that looked like it could be a reasonable facsimile if dyed the right color. It would be too stiff to do the pleated strips, but perhaps I could use a bottom weight or "linen" with the right texture and then weather everything to make it look right.

Hopefully the Blu-ray will give us some more good references! :)

I'm currently building his rifle. Hunting down reference that isn't side on is quite hard work, if anyone knows of any good photo reference out there, would be grand :)

I'm late to the conversation, but Lynn and Dokworm had some good analysis back on page 23 regarding the pleated strips on the sleeves and collar.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with a shirring/pleating or smocking tape... if that would help with construction of the pleated strip?

I've used shirring tape on a bedskirt. It makes nice even cartridge pleats, however it will not give you that little extra dimple that Poe's strip has.

Lynn

Started work on my helmet, painted (no weathering yet) 3/5 leg flares, painted and weathered glie-44.. Had to split the model into 6 pieces, 3 are printed and one's printing at the moment. Dont have any progress pics of the one printing now as I'm sitting in a hospital bed and I'll be here till 5am tomorrow, but as it's a fairly short (16-20 hr) print and it was an hour or two in when I left it should be finished tomorrow morning. But progress pics!

IMG_9623.JPGIMG_9619.JPG
Gun progress. Spent an hour or so sanding/bondo'ing. There are still a few print lines visible on the little 'ammo pack', but they are decreased.
IMG_9662.JPGIMG_9660.JPGIMG_9644.JPG
Helmet parts! I've got my father going to take some more when he gets home as he just brought food.

For what it's worth on the boots front:
2wp55is.jpg

24wyf6q.jpg

I made this: the S-ACE ones have the same lower, but the upper doesn't match, whilst they look a better fit in terms of total height under the flight suit to the other ones, the sides and front aren't quite right at the top and the heel doesn't curve inwards.

The Mucker seems almost identical, with the exception of needing to cover/remove the Hi-Viz tape on the heel. It's just a question of is it too high up the leg or not, which is hard to see in the screenshots.

But from what I can see here:,
tumblr_o06b1sLRcQ1v2ywpho1_1280.jpg

Poe has short ones too, but Oscar Isaac is a size 10, so he's not wearing the women's boot so they must be available somewhere. http://celebriot.com/oscar-isaac-weight-height-ethnicity-hair-color-shoe-size

Just I know some people have bought the S-Ace already and I'd hate for them to end up finding they couldn't use it in the stricter realms of the costume world e.g. RL.

Female Boot is available here: £18 for the Boot £6.50 for postage 41 in stock at this time:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Ladies-Snow-...hash=item3aa8a9e7db:m:mn-jODr_Nn3g5mbIAoKVNrg

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a talented artist who may have created a replica of Poe's EL-16HFE blaster? I'm hoping to create a Poe costume based on his attire in the first part of the film (up until the TIE-fighter crash on Jakku.

Reference: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/File:BT_EL-16HFE.jpg

I've scoured the Internet and haven't had much luck. If I had any idea how to create gun replicas, I'd do it myself. Needless to say, I'm looking to buy one.

Thanks in advance!

Kris

I've used shirring tape on a bedskirt. It makes nice even cartridge pleats, however it will not give you that little extra dimple that Poe's strip has.

Lynn
True on the dimple, and glad to know about the shirring tape. Thanks, Lynn. :)

I've heard that this might be a trim that's no longer in production, but I want to experiment/attempt to do a facsimile, with or without tape. Perhaps the little dimple could be a tiny stitch to tack down the cartridge.

I've really bitten off more than I can chew, but I still want to try. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back