So, no RPF love for the new pilot, Poe Dameron?

Well, I more meant how much it would cost to have someone else print it, but I talked to Dutch Props and he's offering to print it himself. But thanks!

Ah, okay!
Yes, he retained the rights to the file, I just paid to have the design done, so any print requests should go through DutchProps.

How are people planning to handle the visor on the print? I actually started a model of my own that I think I'm going to finish anyways (slowly mind you). I'm going about some things a different way than DutchProps and it's a fun exercise. I have access to a Makerbot replicator 5, but haven't the faintest how to handle clear tinted visor outside of vacuum forming, which I don't have access/ability to do. Me and 3D printing are still learning to be friends, admittedly.

Last edited:
Are the greeblies in the pilot suit leg pouches the same as the ones on Han's jacket? They appear to be similar/identical (just scaled up), but I wanted to double check with some experts before I look into getting them modeled and cast.

cylinders.png

Are the greeblies in the pilot suit leg pouches the same as the ones on Han's jacket? They appear to be similar/identical (just scaled up), but I wanted to double check with some experts before I look into getting them modeled and cast.

They're close, but not exact. I have a run planned to do Han's, both in aluminum AND printed versions, but there appears to be zero interest so far. (I'm guessing because not that many Han jackets are in the hands of people yet.) Seeing as they are so similar I could have the machinist do Poe cylinders in metal as well. They look bigger than those on Han's jacket though.

They're close, but not exact. I have a run planned to do Han's, both in aluminum AND printed versions, but there appears to be zero interest so far. (I'm guessing because not that many Han jackets are in the hands of people yet.) Seeing as they are so similar I could have the machinist do Poe cylinders in metal as well. They look bigger than those on Han's jacket though.

Yeah, exactly, they appear to be scaled up for the pilot's. Also, I think the relative lack of interest also stems from most people simply using e-cig/vape batteries at the moment, in the absence of something more accurate.

Do you think it's possible the Han cylinders "slot" into a larger cylinder in order to create the pilots' greeblies? Because the tops really do look super similar. It's just Han's aren't as long and they clearly lack that final lower larger-diameter section halfway down the length. Perhaps they used the same pieces and just stuck them into larger piece in order to make them bigger overall. Or they just scaled them up xD

Perhaps they used the same pieces and just stuck them into larger piece in order to make them bigger overall. Or they just scaled them up xD

Quote possible. If so it would be super easy to have the machinist just make the extra sleeve to compensate. I'll look into it.

How are people planning to handle the visor on the print? I actually started a model of my own that I think I'm going to finish anyways (slowly mind you). I'm going about some things a different way than DutchProps and it's a fun exercise. I have access to a Makerbot replicator 5, but haven't the faintest how to handle clear tinted visor outside of vacuum forming, which I don't have access/ability to do. Me and 3D printing are still learning to be friends, admittedly.
Vacuum forming is the easiest way, a print won't be clear enough. You could buy a pair of orange tinted safety goggles and cut them up.
http://www.epakelectronics.com/uvps_safety_orangeuvglasses.htm

I would vac the visor aswell.
just print it up. finish, back it with free form air or bondo it in.

Vacuum forming is the easiest way, a print won't be clear enough. You could buy a pair of orange tinted safety goggles and cut them up.
http://www.epakelectronics.com/uvps_safety_orangeuvglasses.htm

I was worried vacuum forming would be the best answer. I know I can always try and cast them in resin, but without a pressure pot (I have yet to invest in one) I worry there would be no chance of the casts not being ruined by bubbles and the weight could be a concern. I've sourced some motorscycle visors that aren't horrible in their shape and look but nothing is as right as I know I could make with a print. I also have a concern at getting my print and then visors to line up just right (though they are cheap enough it might be worth the try). If I get to that point, I might have to look into it being vacuum formed by someone. All moot till I have it modeled and printed though! Thanks for the replies.

I was wondering what scale should we use when 3D printing the Dutch Props helmet.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Tapatalk

Basically measure a helmet that already fits your head, and scale accordingly. Mine is for my daughter, so it is going to be considerably smaller than if it was for my giant pumpkin.

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I have been reading posts as a guest for a while.
I could be interested in a set of three Han Solo greeblies, I'd prefer solid aluminum but that depends on the price, the shipping cost to Germany and the possibility to pay via PayPal.

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I have been reading posts as a guest for a while.
I could be interested in a set of three Han Solo greeblies, I'd prefer solid aluminum but that depends on the price, the shipping cost to Germany and the possibility to pay via PayPal.
Hi and welcome. Discussions about buying/selling must be kept in the classified section of the site. (The FAQ contains a lot of good info that will help you get used to posting.) Please keep all such discussions there. The run thread can be found here.

So I know they're distressed and put through a black wash but are Poe's pants green or brown at the beginning of the movie?
I know the recommended pants are green Vietnam utility pants but I was wondering what way to dye them and such.

It was suggested to me for the visor to use some transparent amber perspex or something similar (the brand suggested to me was Lexan but I'm not 100% sure where to find it in Australia) and form it with a heat gun. Thoughts?

It was suggested to me for the visor to use some transparent amber perspex or something similar (the brand suggested to me was Lexan but I'm not 100% sure where to find it in Australia) and form it with a heat gun. Thoughts?

Are you going to vacuform it? If not, you can modify a scooter helmet visor, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/LS2-Helmets-S...1456677728&sr=8-6&keywords=amber+helmet+visor

When I was looking to make my own helmet, I modified one of these and it looks pretty good. It doesn't have the little return lip on the bottom, but it's not bad.

I returned to the costume exhibit in Times Square. Please forgive blurry images. It was the best I could do while being stealthy. I also had to make friends with some of the monitors that worked there. I hope the tape measure helps with accuracy and dimensions. I'll be interested in any costume pieces when someone works on a run. PLEASE consider me as one of your first customers. Thanks guys and MTFBWY.
rpilot0001.jpg rpilot0001a.jpg rpilot0002.jpg rpilot0003.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Pilot pics cont.
rpilot0004.jpg rpilot0006.jpg rpilot0007.jpg rpilot0008.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Still more pics...
rpilot0011.jpg rpilot0012.jpg rpilot0014.jpg rpilot0015.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back