So, no RPF love for the new pilot, Poe Dameron?

Well guys I've gone and ordered my hose so once I get it I can get started on my chest box!

I already have all the bits to build it, including all the bits I need to make the Led work.

Paul

Hi Guys,
Looking at the costume webbing, for the grey webbing and the pulls for the roll pins I think this is the stuff.

Grosgrain ribbon, I just ordered some up and I will see how it looks when I get it the next couple of days. It also looks a lot like the harness webbing to but I'll have to see how thick it turns out, I just think it looks a little thin for that purpose.

Paul

$_57AOSCIVF0.jpg

------------------------------------------UPDATED---------------------------------------------------------

Ignore this post the Grosgrain ribbon despite looking perfect as far as the style looks is far, far too thin. Shame really now I just need to find a thin webbing that looks like Grosgrain!

Paul

Last edited:
View attachment 539216

For my belt I dyed it first with silver grey iDye, but the results ended up being that the belt was too dark and the other strappy pieces were barely changed. I used Dupli Color Upholstery and Vinyl spray paint from the nearest auto supply store and it ended up doing the trick nicely. For the little tab parts I used watered down Jacquard brand textile paints I mixed to make dark grey.

Looks good Angelariel. Did you make the large metal pieces or did you find them? To me they look like some sort of car seat belt part I could be wrong though. Also the roll pin buckles did you get these silver or did you find some way to trip the gold colour?

Paul.

Well my order just arrived from hose world. I need your guy's opinion on the size (see following pics) I think it's massive!! I measured it up against my roll pin buckles(also arrived today!) and it looks like the O/D is the same as the width of the roll pin buckle. The sketch pad is 297mm wide if that helps.

Paul

DSC01315.JPGDSC01314.JPG

Last edited:
I have contacted Hoseworld regarding this sizing issue and the following is their official word on the sizes......

"The outside diameter of the CRRH-20 depends upon where you measure it due to
the corrugations. The OD at the cuff is 26mm, the OD inside the lower point
of the corrugation is 30mm, and at the high point 38mm.
The same applies to the CRRH-25 - the OD at the cuff is 32mm, the OD inside
the lower point of the corrugation is 34mm, and at the high point 45mm
."

So I am guessing that the CRRH-20 is going to be the correct item as I really don't need to send back a second lot!

Paul

I have contacted Hoseworld regarding this sizing issue and the following is their official word on the sizes......

"The outside diameter of the CRRH-20 depends upon where you measure it due to
the corrugations. The OD at the cuff is 26mm, the OD inside the lower point
of the corrugation is 30mm, and at the high point 38mm.
The same applies to the CRRH-25 - the OD at the cuff is 32mm, the OD inside
the lower point of the corrugation is 34mm, and at the high point 45mm
."

So I am guessing that the CRRH-20 is going to be the correct item as I really don't need to send back a second lot!

Paul

one of the guys over at the rebel legion modelled and printed a chest box. He used the crrh-20 hose and it appears to be scaled corrctly (assuming he made the box the right size.... It looks good to me).

fwiw, Hoseworld WILL ship internationally, but it will cost an arm and a leg for shipping. However, it gets more reasonable if you combine orders.

Take a close look at the leg straps that are swen into the inseam. there is a line of stitching right above that strap, and the strap iselt appears to follow the contours of the flight suit very closely. I think that's where the "G-suit" ends, and I think the strap is stitched in there too, except where the slider is. I suspect the strap is meant to emulate the ejection leg restraints worn by modern air crews. And i would guess the slider is meant as an attachment point (though to visually suggest one). It's pretty clear it is not used as a closure. In fact, I think the whole strap may be one piece, witht eh slider on it.

Hofpig, I agree with your choice of webbing for the park that attaches the roll pin buckles to the belt.

I was thinking the main ejection harness webbing may be 38mm cotton canvas webbing, painted grey with the same fabric paint used for the belt. I feel the ejection harness webbing looks more natural and less uniform like you'd get with the man made stuff.

21576002084_bd0856d462_c.jpg

To me the webbing for the ejection harness is 38mm based on the known width of the roll pin buckle.

Hofpig, I agree with your choice of webbing for the park that attaches the roll pin buckles to the belt.

I was thinking the main ejection harness webbing may be 38mm cotton canvas webbing, painted grey with the same fabric paint used for the belt. I feel the ejection harness webbing looks more natural and less uniform like you'd get with the man made stuff.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/569/21576002084_bd0856d462_c.jpg

To me the webbing for the ejection harness is 38mm based on the known width of the roll pin buckle.

Fil you might be right on that. It's got to be 38 or 40mm 2mm is not much to worry about. I just emailed a maker of the grosgrain rib on to see if they can tell me the thickness as it still looks pretty similar on the Flathead HD pic but I should know tomorrow what sort of size it is. so we will see. I have a feeling something thicker will be better from a weight point of view to.

Paul

Hofpig,
I've ordered 5m of 38mm cotton canvas webbing for the main ejection harness. I'll post pictures when I receive it and have it painted up.

I'll order some grossrain webbing to attach the roll pin buckle to the belt.

Uncanny what you say about the plate above the roll pin buckle. I spent hours looking through google images. I thought it was a seat belt anchor - the part which mounts the seat belt to the car. I'm going to a scrap yard this weekend to see what they think - a more professional eye. After hours looking on Tuesday I was convinced I was wrong. You've given me a little hope ;)

I think you're right about the width, but the weave of the webbing you show is wrong. I picked 1.5" webbing for that bit. I think this webbing has the more correct weave:

http://www.strapworks.com/Flat_Nylon_Webbing_p/fnw112.htm

I don't see why you think it's cotton. It could be, of course, but cotton would be harder to paint and would more susceptible to stretching.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks good Angelariel. Did you make the large metal pieces or did you find them? To me they look like some sort of car seat belt part I could be wrong though. Also the roll pin buckles did you get these silver or did you find some way to trip the gold colour?

Paul.

You get the plain aluminum rollpin buckles from a number of suppliers. Just search "rollpin buckle" on ebay. Most of the suppliers are in the UK, so you are ideally situated.

- - - Updated - - -

Is that webbing or really just ribbon? I have tons of grosgrain ribbon that I've used in costuming over the years, and it would be way to thin for this application.

Hi Guys,
Looking at the costume webbing, for the grey webbing and the pulls for the roll pins I think this is the stuff.

Grosgrain ribbon, I just ordered some up and I will see how it looks when I get it the next couple of days. It also looks a lot like the harness webbing to but I'll have to see how thick it turns out, I just think it looks a little thin for that purpose.

Paul

View attachment 541047

Strongbow,
I thought cotton because it looked rougher - but that may down to the blurring. If you look at the weave of the brown webbing that's what struck me ... after looking at images for about an hour this was the first that looked even close.
But yes that flat nylon looks good.
Yep I've bought a couple of roll pin buckles :)
What I've found is they arrive more of a brass colour. If you put them in a solution of vinegar and salt for 15 minutes that rubs off quite easily.

What I've found is they arrive more of a brass colour. If you put them in a solution of vinegar and salt for 15 minutes that rubs off quite easily.

Cheers fil I'll give that a try any idea what ratio of salt to vinegar??

Paul

Is that webbing or really just ribbon? I have tons of grosgrain ribbon that I've used in costuming over the years, and it would be way to thin for this application.

You maybe right hence the email I sent the manufacturer last night. Looking at the fathead pic again the main webbing is not the ribbon anyway. I just found some polyprop webbing that looks a reasonable match(although it's very shiny) may need a bit dye/painting. I'll get some when I next have some free cash and I'll see.

---------Update------------

Just had an email from a nice lady at the grosgrain manuf and she is going to send me a 1m sample, so at the end of the day if its no good at least allows me to rule it out.

Paul

Last edited:
Uncanny what you say about the plate above the roll pin buckle. I spent hours looking through google images. I thought it was a seat belt anchor - the part which mounts the seat belt to the car. I'm going to a scrap yard this weekend to see what they think - a more professional eye. After hours looking on Tuesday I was convinced I was wrong. You've given me a little hope ;)

Glad it's not just me! I did an image search on google and one came up, it was nothing like the plate but certainly got me thinkingI I am sure I saw somethibk like that back in the day when my father used to do all his own car maintainence. did a two hour marathon ebay search but can't seem to find anything like it. Might have to go back to plan B( get some 3mm alu sheet and make myself) just need freerein in somebodys workshop.

Paul

Strongbow,
I thought cotton because it looked rougher - but that may down to the blurring. If you look at the weave of the brown webbing that's what struck me ... after looking at images for about an hour this was the first that looked even close.
But yes that flat nylon looks good.

Ah that's cool... just wondering if you saw something I didn't. If you go that route, I'll be interested to see the result!

You maybe right hence the email I sent the manufacturer last night. Looking at the fathead pic again the main webbing is not the ribbon anyway. I just found some polyprop webbing that looks a reasonable match(although it's very shiny) may need a bit dye/painting. I'll get some when I next have some free cash and I'll see.

---------Update------------

Just had an email from a nice lady at the grosgrain manuf and she is going to send me a 1m sample, so at the end of the day if its no good at least allows me to rule it out.

Paul

The strapworks Nylon webbing uses a grosgrain weave. I've ordered some up to see how it looks. I am convinced the thinner "leg retention" strap is secured to leg all the way 'round too. It conforms to the leg fold in every picture.

been working on the flak vest...a slow go and I know that there will be lots of changes on this down the road...
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/...isode 7 X-Wing Pilot/IMG_7357_zps1drplp8s.jpg

Great job! What are you going to use for padding? A closed-cell foam? What about the base material? Can you share your pattern when you're done?

padding is a low density white foam
and the base material is white 100% cotton denim....
I really don't have a pattern worked up yet as I still have a lot of things to figure out. Also, I am very short...so any pattern I might develop will be to my size...;)

padding is a low density white foam
and the base material is white 100% cotton denim....
I really don't have a pattern worked up yet as I still have a lot of things to figure out. Also, I am very short...so any pattern I might develop will be to my size...;)

Yeah, the size doesn't matter so much. Just interested in how it's put together. But it's looking good!

Re: Ratio of salt and vinegar. I used enough vinegar to fully cover the buckle, and an arbitrary amount of salt. 15 minutes seemed a good time. I rinsed it off thoroughly and dried it, then polished to avoid it tarnishing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back