Kylo Ren Reference Photos

Finally got a chance to upload this from my phone... I think you will appreciate this...[video]https://youtu.be/VIhocLg4Ias[/video]

So I'm going to make a firm bet that the entire midcoat matches the action figure quite closely.

As you've shown, the pin tucks are evident in the trailer (as you've marked in your ref photo)

duTOWDT.jpg

You can see 2 of the pin tucks right in the armpit here

Star-Wars-Celebration-Anaheim-2015-The-Force-Awakens-097.jpg

So at this point I'd put money on it that the entire midcoat is made of 1 inch pin tucks from top to bottom, as it appears on the action figure.

The mid coat definitely has pin-tucks, it's even more clear in this pic: http://i.imgur.com/dZ24GpD.jpg

But, at least at that part of his costume, the fabric is very clearly separated from the sleeves. I talked about this last night with a 501st member who got to see the costume in person, she insists it's a separate garment of separate material, but agrees that it's definitely got the pin tucks in it. I've never wanted more high def image of a sith's armpit before....

The mid coat definitely has pin-tucks, it's even more clear in this pic: http://i.imgur.com/dZ24GpD.jpg

But, at least at that part of his costume, the fabric is very clearly separated from the sleeves. I talked about this last night with a 501st member who got to see the costume in person, she insists it's a separate garment of separate material, but agrees that it's definitely got the pin tucks in it. I've never wanted more high def image of a sith's armpit before....

They are definitely separated, but they appear to be the same fabric, or at least very very similar.

They are definitely separated, but they appear to be the same fabric, or at least very very similar.

If they are different fabric, it could easily be that wool you pointed out. I'm a little worried the 501st isn't going to release the costume requirements until the movie is out, which means I may need to just resign myself to sewing it twice.

I had a friend who was at Celebration say this about the costume:

Well the color is a dark Grey, very similar to my Palpatine inner robes. The issue is the fabric was made specifically for the movie, which means we can't get it, going to message the LMO about alternatives. There is a new saber hook on the belt, not a covetec or D-ring. As far as height, it didn't seem massive, maybe 6'3"

Now how do I post pictures from my I-phone here?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I have more pictures that I will post later tonight that show some of the back piece of the helmet (even though the hood is up it still gives a good idea of what it should look like)

If they are different fabric, it could easily be that wool you pointed out. I'm a little worried the 501st isn't going to release the costume requirements until the movie is out, which means I may need to just resign myself to sewing it twice.

At this point, I'm going to probably make 2. My first will be made of monk's cloth, and the inner jacket and sleeves will be made out of wool to mimic the action figure (but I'm still not exactly sure how I'm going to attach the sleeves. I will probably attach them to a lighter type of fabric that will go under everything else). The first rendition will not be the most accurate, but will be passable in quality in appearance. As we get closer to the film, or possibly after the film, I'll end up remaking the whole thing to really hit the mark on everything.

The first version will be sort of expimenting with methods, so the version that I make around movie time will go easier and be more dialed in.

Last edited:

I have been SCOURING The internet for better armpit images. You could clearly see that the armpit material was wool and the sleeves were a cotton on the costume in person

adam-driver_e.jpg
I tried upping the image resolution for the boots reference image using Similia Enlarger. Hope this helps.
I also think jamesrt1 on Photobucket did a good job (albeit the belt strap placement is a little off and it's not as lustrous):
ce87f487-6e1c-47b2-b955-fdd81f515322.jpg
Also, does anyone else see the resemblance of Kylo Ren's and Anakin's boots? Maybe it's just the straps, but it feels as if there's something more to this.

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    67 bytes · Views: 1,009
View attachment 527614
I tried upping the image resolution for the boots reference image using Similia Enlarger. Hope this helps.
I also think jamesrt1 on Photobucket did a good job (albeit the belt strap placement is a little off and it's not as lustrous):
View attachment 527623
Also, does anyone else see the resemblance of Kylo Ren's and Anakin's boots? Maybe it's just the straps, but it feels as if there's something more to this.

anikans boots is the first thing I thought of as well, I thought they were exactly the same and the other night in bed did some comparisons

Nevermind the Rylo fabric, thanks for bringing this site to my attention. I want to do a Star Wars thing in future and this is a great resource to have for fabric for costumes! Thanks!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back