Kylo Ren: Buckle WIP

i'm still considering that exact idea as the magnets might now be strong enough in a pose to hold i was going to use a 38mm webbing clasp buckle in a hollowed out version of my design to try out

(this type)

View attachment 467816

I'd just grabbed this buckle from JoAnns yesterday, sorry for the lousy quality cellphone pic:
LiIgtnu.jpg

My only concern with magnets was if you pushed your hips/stomach forward all of a sudden for whatever reason (spontaneous pelvic thrust - why not?) the magnets may pop open. But it seems like it would make a cleaner clasp design than trying to hide something behind it.

----- addition ------

If you wind up using the buckle and get it to sit nice and flat, please post pics!

could you grab a shot n MS paint and annotate not quite sure i see what you see ^^

Sure. It could just be an optical illusion, but your model appears to have a couple areas that are marginally wider than the prop. Nothing major, just something I had noticed & pointed out. You just may want to confirm the dimensions the best you can. I drew in yellow "dimension lines" of each area that I thought might be a hair too wide, but it may be an illusion.

Version3.jpg

Actually the whole thing looks wider than the photo.

It shouldn't be as I drew directly on an overlay I think this is a bit of optical tricker going on here as the one at the exhibit has lighting and different reflections going on where as the mesh is basically just flat colour sonits going to look wider in places right now, I'll post up a transparent overlay later for everyone

hey guys

so like everyone else i watched the SW Trailer and GAWPED

cant wait to see more Costumes from the Film

this photo of Kylo Ren appeared
View attachment 465418

I decided to design the Buckle and go from there with plans on the helmet over the weekend since we have so many reference shots now from CVII (or at least make a start)

So anyway I derived my measurements from Adam Drivers Height (as supposedly he will play the titular Sith) as 1.91 meters which gave me a buckle height of about 125mm /5 inch

without further adu my model is here:

View attachment 465421

I also from the photos seemed to spot a seem line on the buckle for now i've built in a magnetic closure until i consider a better method of closure

View attachment 465422

I'll print the mesh tonight and if there is interest i'll happily share it tomorrow :)

comments, adjustments anything ?

=JJ=

What if it's not a straight up click together construction but rather parts inside that actually lock in? Purely hearsay but as you mentioned, magnets will not hold this together.

So if there were semi hooks on one side the inserted into the main body of the otherside.

I also have a feeling that this bucklet is non functional. It is made to look like it comes apart but I'm thinking it doesn't

On the top and bottom here I have circled what I think is supposed to look like an 'inserted part, like the hook I mentioned to latch things together. The right side is the male end and the right side being the female. You can see on the female side the internal part is not all the way to the left edge, seeming to me like it's the inserted part and a continuation of a clip from the male side (on the right).

But in the buckle (like in the middle circle) you see a very rough edge up and down but it looks like the where the actual connection point should be, the parts look very much like a single piece. My guess is that the belt actually closes in the back behind the cape and the front buckle is just a visual part.

Kylo-Ren-Boucle-De-Ceinture-Details_zpsjw1cwjgt.png

If this is the case (which it seems to be) it might be functional to hold it together.

Velcro on the left and right of the belt and the buckle on top to hold them both together? Good velcro would hold the weight I"m sure.

This is so simple and brilliant, I feel like an idiot for not thinking of it. Industrial velcro would accomplish this easily and it's very low profile and strong: http://amzn.com/B00006RSP1 I've used it on a few costume belts in the past. Edit: My boyfriend also used it on his first mando build to attach his armor plates. So it's very durable stuff and will tolerate a lot of stress and movement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha I considered that from the front shot there is a slither!!

Does anyone have a preference for a casting of smooth finish for you to texture or a cast of a textured buckle ??

Does anyone have a preference for a casting of smooth finish for you to texture or a cast of a textured buckle ??

My experience in working with casts is limited to pretty much my mando helmet. But I imagine cast smooth so we can paint and then weather ourselves? Right?

I would say a smooth cast would probably make more sense and allow for people to customize as they see fit. I have no idea how much of a difference that makes on your end however.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back