Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

That signal satchel is it, they just chopped off the right side and moved the strap loop to the left and added the ALICE clip.

Going to be a tough one unless you get it from the UK.
If you can find one in the US/Canada it doesn't look like it will be cheap, so far I've seen them in the $80-$100+ range.

BTW never take published heights of actors as fact, many like to alter their actual ht.;)
For scaling always is a known number from a found item, in the case of the staff use the webbing.

BTW never take published heights of actors as fact, many like to alter their actual ht.;)

Ain't that the truth! I worked on set of Catching Fire, Mockingjay Part I and II and stood next to Jennifer Lawrence quite a few times. She and I are exactly the same height. I'm just barely 5'8", yet online it says she's 5'9". Yeaaaah, nope.

DlarianFerrel - I believe your theory is spot-on as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
That signal satchel is it, they just chopped off the right side and moved the strap loop to the left and added the ALICE clip.

Going to be a tough one unless you get it from the UK.
If you can find one in the US/Canada it doesn't look like it will be cheap, so far I've seen them in the $80-$100+ range.

For scaling always is a known number from a found item, in the case of the staff use the webbing.

I was just about to get one on Ebay! This thread has been very helpful so far. Next I am looking at the gloves and what I can buy to modify. I was thinking a base lather glove and then adding the canvas inserts and the suede patch.

For the gloves, the military hard knuckle gloves posted earlier in the thread are actually pretty close, I looked at a pair that my local army/navy surplus had in grey. I was thinking that the insert making them hard could be replaced with canvas easily enough. I am hoping they will have the tan ones in when I stop in again, the lady said they were just out. If not, the prices online are about the same as in store.

I am trying to find a local source for material since it seems to be selling out fast online.

Here's what I have so far on the staff. The proportions are still a bit off, but I've got the major landmarks laid out right now. The minimum diamter here is 1 inch. Many pieces are still kind of rough right now, but I'm going to try to nail the measurements before I go farther on that.

staff_v01.jpg

Zaan, I'm ok switching to metric for this (the render is still 6ft). My only hesitation would be what the materials and parts this will be made of are measured in, which I haven't done much research into yet.

Hmmm true true. You seem to be doing well so far! Finals are going on currently so I have no time but come Wednesday I have a month long break to crack down on this staff!

I've been commissioned to make this staff for a client, so if anyone is interested in possibly buying a casting let me know. If I get enough I can do a small run. I don't know exactly how many yet but it seems like this staff is going to be in the range of 70" so it might have to be quite a few to afford that much silicone.

what about just casting pieces that can be fitted togetheron our own 1" rod? that might make things easier.

either way i'd be in for a casting.

what about just casting pieces that can be fitted togetheron our own 1" rod? that might make things easier.

either way i'd be in for a casting.

What kind of 1" rod were you thinking about? I'm trying to wrap my head around how I'd be able to insert something into the mold to leave a hollow space.

Currently I've been pouring resin around 1 foot threaded rods and turing them on my lathe. The original will be modular, but I don't think I'll be able to cast parts that can be screwed together in the same way. The best I can think to do is to put something 1" thick, like pvc, into the mold but I'm not even 100% sure that will work.

ryanoh would it be possible to cast it with say a couper inside the modular pieces that could then be attached to a pipe? That way it is modular and can be threaded onto a pipe easily for the more basic part of the staff. It would then use less resin to cast. The only other thing I could think of would be a hollow piece that could then be put over a pipe like a sleeve and glued into place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back