Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

A new picture:

5543ca93db753b82389cbd74_vanity-fair-star-wars.jpg

ReyTurnaround_zpssjravy2a.jpg

As promised, here's my costume turnaround (just in time for Mar 4th! Hadn't even planned that...) Since there are no references for the back of Rey's costume (and until this morning, none of her side. But I drew this last night, so it looks like I was on target), I decided I'd do what I normally do and draw a costume turnaround. Now certain things may not be correct (like the hairstyle and the back of the wrap dress), but I drew what I could decipher from the photos. And who knows, I may have gotten a couple things backwards. But even so, I figured it'd be a decent guide that hopefully other Rey cosplayers can hopefully benefit from.

Rey1_zpsujqauvxo.jpg

Rey2_zps5vclrsvq.jpg
Rey3_zpsfa6pokzq.jpg

mile emoticon

Last edited by a moderator:
11198465_10204137349904360_1781596605_n.jpg11215970_10204137350104365_2096958855_n.jpg11198536_10204137350544376_1008547539_n.jpg

I was working on the bracer and this is what I came up with. It might not even be accurate, but, it was as close as I could do. I used some scrap brown leather and a bit of veg-tan leather; wet molded the curve on the veg-tan and glued the pieces together.

Nice work on both accounts. :thumbsup :thumbsup

The leather belt is actually one piece on the left side, the buckle you placed is just some sort of twine or cording, on the back it appears to only be on the bottom piece.
There could be splices under the cording.

I'll throw some pix together for you.

Edit.
Here it is.

belt left.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, all, I'm new to the RPF, but am really excited to get started with this community. I love the design of Rey, and all the info posted here is really helping me figure out how to do this.

I don't have much to contribute on the clothing yet, but I've started work on designing the staff. I'm a 3d modeler by trade, and it seems easiest to try to work out the design from photographs in a 3d package. The model is still in progress, but here's the image collage I'm working from.

Right now I'm estimating that the staff is between 5-6 feet long. Something this large is prohibitively expensive to do as a 3d print. It will take some pondering to see how much of this thing, if any, actually needs to be printed.

View attachment rey_staff_v02.jpg

Hope this helps people and I hope to share more when I get farther!

Welcome to the forum.

The sling attached to the pole is about 1" wide.
The costume designer apparently has a thing for vintage British webbing and gear, Finn's jacket has it also.

Oh, that will help, then. I was basing my designs off the staff being at minimum 1 inch in diameter, which doesn't seem too far off. For much of the staff it wouldn't be hard to just use pvc pipe, I would think.

For the length, Daisy Ridley is 5'7", and the staff appears to be around her height. Something about that long that would come apart seems like it would be manageable.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i...s/Star Wars/Rey/ReyTurnaround_zpssjravy2a.jpg

As promised, here's my costume turnaround (just in time for Mar 4th! Hadn't even planned that...) Since there are no references for the back of Rey's costume (and until this morning, none of her side. But I drew this last night, so it looks like I was on target), I decided I'd do what I normally do and draw a costume turnaround. Now certain things may not be correct (like the hairstyle and the back of the wrap dress), but I drew what I could decipher from the photos. And who knows, I may have gotten a couple things backwards. But even so, I figured it'd be a decent guide that hopefully other Rey cosplayers can hopefully benefit from.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i...ume/Movies/Star Wars/Rey/Rey1_zpsujqauvxo.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i...ume/Movies/Star Wars/Rey/Rey2_zps5vclrsvq.jpghttp://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i...ume/Movies/Star Wars/Rey/Rey3_zpsfa6pokzq.jpg
mile emoticon

Your drawings don't incorporate the piece of fabric that wraps around her waist, parallel to her belt.

LgCEo5J.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Midost! :)

Red 4 - I was going more by the in-movie screencaptures than the exhibition photos as you get a clearer view of the wrap dress.

Last edited:
My theory on that third piece (as I'm going to call it) of the wrap dress is that for the display they wrapped it around across the front, to the back under the belt and pouch to come back around front under the belt. In the trailer shots, I it almost looks like its drapes from her shoulder in the back. Maybe it is wrapped that way to protect against the backpack rubbing or something. It is obviously the same material, so a part of the wrap dress, but I believe it is only attached at the shoulder or back, and then can be wrapped around different ways.

I just bought 2 of these packs, I hope they're tan and not green.
On sale for $9.95.
Most places want $30-$60 for them.

So you're going to cut these down to make the belt pouch?

If that's the case you might be better off looking for the smaller pack that is intended as part of this british web gear system. they are about the right size for Rey's belt pouch already... albeit perhaps a bit too wide.

Last edited:
My theory on that third piece (as I'm going to call it) of the wrap dress is that for the display they wrapped it around across the front, to the back under the belt and pouch to come back around front under the belt. In the trailer shots, I it almost looks like its drapes from her shoulder in the back. Maybe it is wrapped that way to protect against the backpack rubbing or something. It is obviously the same material, so a part of the wrap dress, but I believe it is only attached at the shoulder or back, and then can be wrapped around different ways.

Spot on!

It's clear that it was wrapped differently on the mannequin even than the way Daisy is wearing it in the shot up above where she's walking with the staff and facing away from the wind. LadyNerd's drawing seems to me to incorporate the best of what we can see so far.

So you're going to cut these down to make the belt pouch?

If that's the case you might be better off looking for the smaller pack that is intended as part of this british web gear system. they are about the right size for Rey's belt pouch already... albeit perhaps a bit too wide.

You are correct my friend it is way to large but unless I sign up for ebay in Europe finding an authentic one won't come cheap or easy. (I'm not about to by a Chinese knock off)
I think Ideally and this may even be what they used is a British pattern 37 signals satchel.
Even has the loops on the ends.

When I get the packs I'll see what I can do with them, who knows, I might even be able to get 2 pouches out a pack.
I may end up just looking for that small signal pouch.

Last edited:
It is a tad taller then her and round numbers are always more appealing to modelers too. So I'd say the staffs length is 180cm? I in seems right for the diameter too but i dont know many modelers that use imperial, harder to calculate and scale properly, and if the modeler was british then it would be metric. So maybe 180 length and 3 diameter?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back