Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Are any of you guys members of the Rey Cosplay Community group on FB?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1672721166338925/?ref=bookmarks

Since I got involved over there I haven't been here much.

I'm over there. I'm not on FB a lot but I have started checking the FB group each day. Its how I got my belt and holster from you Kristen! The group also has a lot of great files and resources all compiled in one place. So I don't have to go sifting through my many poorly organized bookmarks. But I love it here too because its like...the mother load or homeland or of Rey costuming or something. Lol.

I startrd playing around with coloring my shoulder pad. At the top is the original color. Clockwise from there is a test with taupe and raw umber spray paint. Then acylic wash with a dusting of textured sand Shay paint. Then just acrylic wash. The first one cane out way to dark, but that's use error. What did others do? I like the acrylic wash because it gets all the books and crannies. So maybe that plus the right light brushing with some spray paint? But which one?
65adc979f6f760e444df32b498d95454.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! I went with the acrylic wash and it turned out great. I'm going to dust it up a bit with some of that textured spray paint, which will actually lighten it a tiny bit.
20170713_210407.jpg

Also, has anyone ever used this? I found it while poking around the costume shop near one of the big performing arts collages in town. Its really cool! It sprays on in light, dusty coats that are light brownish grey. It will come off non-pores surfaces, but not clothes. But it is easy to layer because it goes on so light with each coat. It was only $13 too. A quick look online turned up limited online purchasing options, but there are a few and the price is the same as what I found in the store. Pretty neat!

20170713_210413.jpg

I sprayed it on the cheese cloth I used to wrap my staff. I'm not sure if the picture shows much, but this is how it looked after some quick sprays. The cheese cloth was a bright off-white before I sprayed it.
20170713_215620.jpg

Thanks everyone! I went with the acrylic wash and it turned out great. I'm going to dust it up a bit with some of that textured spray paint, which will actually lighten it a tiny bit.
View attachment 743887

Also, has anyone ever used this? I found it while poking around the costume shop near one of the big performing arts collages in town. Its really cool! It sprays on in light, dusty coats that are light brownish grey. It will come off non-pores surfaces, but not clothes. But it is easy to layer because it goes on so light with each coat. It was only $13 too. A quick look online turned up limited online purchasing options, but there are a few and the price is the same as what I found in the store. Pretty neat!

View attachment 743888

I sprayed it on the cheese cloth I used to wrap my staff. I'm not sure if the picture shows much, but this is how it looked after some quick sprays. The cheese cloth was a bright off-white before I sprayed it.
View attachment 743889

I do not know this product, but I really think I want do. *eyes Mad Max costume again and narrows eyes*

Does anyone know what this kind of mesh/netting weave is called...big circles with little circles on the tip of the shoe...it matches the weave on the mesh of Rey's salvage bag! These are my gym shoes! I noticed it while stretching after a workout the other day. I tried searching ebay and some other sites looking for it under sporting mesh and even some industrial sites. I've come across it once before when I saw it on a crochet pattern on Etsy. I think it was called a figure eight patter. I couldn't find it again just now when I went to look. It would need to be larger and heavier of course, but it has the right shapes!Well...any thoughts?
20170724_192744.jpg

Addition: I saw this while ridding in the backseat of my friends 2009 Chevy Malibu (can you tell I have this salvage bag on my mind?). When I saw it I thought "hm, that would be just about the right weight for the netting. Got me thinking it could be a good option. I tried looking on auto parts sights and on ebay for automotive netting and replacement parts for that model car. Not dice. What might I search for that would give me more success?

20170721_180334.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know what this kind of mesh/netting weave is called...big circles with little circles on the tip of the shoe...it matches the weave on the mesh of Rey's salvage bag! These are my gym shoes! I noticed it while stretching after a workout the other day. I tried searching ebay and some other sites looking for it under sporting mesh and even some industrial sites. I've come across it once before when I saw it on a crochet pattern on Etsy. I think it was called a figure eight patter. I couldn't find it again just now when I went to look. It would need to be larger and heavier of course, but it has the right shapes!Well...any thoughts?
View attachment 746429

Addition: I saw this while ridding in the backseat of my friends 2009 Chevy Malibu (can you tell I have this salvage bag on my mind?). When I saw it I thought "hm, that would be just about the right weight for the netting. Got me thinking it could be a good option. I tried looking on auto parts sights and on ebay for automotive netting and replacement parts for that model car. Not dice. What might I search for that would give me more success?

View attachment 746431

Jo Ann carries different types of sport mesh as well. That's where I get the sport mesh that I use for my goggle builds.

Sorry for cross posts for anyone whose also on the Backpack thread but I'm just looking for thoughts on waxed thread color for my scavenger backpack. The top matches really well the color of the leather. But I like the bottom one more in how it feels and such. I also have a lot more of it and am not sure I have enough of the first one for the whole pack. Well, any thoughts appreciated!

20170801_102322.jpg

Posted on the backpack thread, but I'll put it here too. :)
I like the bottom one. You can always weather darker, but you may not want contrast stitching depending on the color of your leather.
My tiger thread was Amber Glow if that helps you decide.

Thanks @Godhawk. I'll work on the during this weekend. Meanwhile I washed the fabric and made the shirt. I need to trim it down (avoid the neck waddle as Kristen said [emoji6]) and shorten the sleeves, but phew! I think it came out alright. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170708/fafb795dd3d82180bc5e337417db3a94.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Oh my god this is looking perfect!! And great find on the Movie Paint sprays, your shoulder pad is looking gorgeous!!

my apartment got briefly invaded so I couldn't work on the costume for a bit. Now I come back to find out there's a whole new costume! With good reference images! And the fabric is sold out already...

IMG_0346.JPG

I'll leave the backpack rambling for the backpack thread, now I just need to find some cheap water bottles to build into the canon accurate bottles. I was also thinking of using Co2 cannisters for the little silver pods.

IMG_0347.JPG

The staff is nearly done! I've just had a nightmare of a time installing the snaps into the straps. I got a snap setting kit from Tandys but I just can't seem to hammer the teeth into the fabric. I get them to bend open but they just stay that way, all loose like.

IMG_0348.JPG

Shoulder harness is is currently drying outside because after two months without having to leave anything to dry California chose this week to have a sudden humidity spell.

Also if it would help you Ducky... here's a pic of all of my backpack pattern pieces plotted out on the back of the hide, ready for cutting:

View attachment 737373

Also, here's the pack about midway through construction. The next step here is to attach the strap on the top flap, and then join the front and back with the sides strip:

View attachment 737363

And again after assembly.

I still have some bits to do... attach the side bottle strap, the shoulder strap canister strap and a bit of webbing.. as well as finish some stitchign along one seam. But this build is almost done.

This one was made for CKWindsong. :D

View attachment 737370View attachment 737371View attachment 737372

oh my god, this is amazing!! Between these gorgeous pattern pieces and the beautiful stitch work from the backpack thread I'm seriously reconsidering giving this backpack another go... At this rate I should be done in time for Star Wars XXIII

kristen this is absolutely breathtaking.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back