Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Hey all...

A good piece here from the Concept Art book from TFA showing Rey's alternate costume from the end of the film:

At least we get a good look at the lines of the garments for construction.

I have a few hi res scans of her main outfit from the Visual Dictionary that I will put up next. They give outstanding views of the fabric textures and such:

Last edited:
anyone have recommendations on what color(s) to use to dye the overwrap dress? I have fabric that is a cream - light beige color and it seems like a lot of people are using RIT pearl grey. Should I just use that on it or combine it with another color? I have never dyed anything before.

anyone have recommendations on what color(s) to use to dye the overwrap dress? I have fabric that is a cream - light beige color and it seems like a lot of people are using RIT pearl grey. Should I just use that on it or combine it with another color? I have never dyed anything before.

I used RIT Pearl Gray and RIT Tan. What to dye with is going to vary wildly by what the fiber content is of your fabric. If you're like me, you didn't write it down off of the bolt at Hancock's, so it's always a crapshoot. Do test swatches!!! And keep in mind that the color will look different once you've washed and dried a dyed swatch. It's tons of trial and error.
If you end up with a synthetic, I like Jacquard's line of iDye Poly.

that color looks pretty good, did you use equal parts of the 2 colors?

do you think 1 bottle of each is enough?

1 bottle of each is probably enough. I couldn't tell you my proportions-- this took me three tries! Test swatches, trial and error! I kept a gray bath and a tan bath and dyed that way, to control the color by time or saturation.

I'm not the referenced person, but *if* I get around to greebling a staff together, I would be willing to do a casting run of raw parts, for sure. I'll be certain to update here if I do.

Hi. I would very much be interested in purchasing raw parts. I've queried JJ, but have not heard back. Looks like he is getting a lot of requests. I'm trying to assemble this costume for my 12-year old daughter. She wants to join me for a big trooping event at the end of January. At the moment, the staff is the only open item that have not been able to nail down.

BTW, this forum has been extremely helpful. I'm a white armor guy, so this is my first "soft" costume. Thanks!

So I went to see TFA for the 3rd time and did some closer inspection of Rey' costume. I noticed two things....

1) I think her arm wraps are attached to an undersleeve. In the first scene she shows up, where she drinks from a water canteen, there's a gap in the wraps, but fabric underneath not flesh.

2) Those lovely leg wraps? She only wears them for the first part of the first scene she shows up and then nowhere else in the film. So as much as I love those leg wraps, I'm going to save myself some fabric and not do them.

So I went to see TFA for the 3rd time and did some closer inspection of Rey' costume. I noticed two things....

2) Those lovely leg wraps? She only wears them for the first part of the first scene she shows up and then nowhere else in the film. So as much as I love those leg wraps, I'm going to save myself some fabric and not do them.

I noticed that too. I'm pretty glad, because I was having a heck of a time keeping them up lol.

I'm in for Rey, too.

And I was planning on doing a fabric sleeve and sewing the wraps to it with occasional tacks on the inner side. I think something like an underarmor-type sleeve wound work well. Any stretch material with enough grip to stay up. A slight elastic at the top would help, too.

I'm also blowing off the leg wraps.

I was spoiler-free (not even a trailer) going into the film, so I haven't looked at much of anything yet, so much to catch up on with this thread, but I'm all in.

I did purchase the boots, which stung, as they are pricey for a non-shoe person like me, but I couldn't help myself. ;)

Just finished a marathon session of reading this thread. I just want to thank everyone for their input and congratulate everyone on their costumes. I only came looking for information on Rey's bag but I ended up getting sucked in reading everything.

My current every day man bag is an Indiana Jones 1942 Mk VII British gas mask bag with leather strap, but it is starting to fray, and while I have a spare, as soon as I saw Rey's bag I knew I had to get one. I'm in the UK so sourcing a Signals bag isn't difficult, and I think I have someone who can stitch it (rather then my poor man-sewing). As an every day bag I don't think it will work on a belt (although I might look into that also, I wish we had an equivalent to Tandy in the UK) so I think I will have to put a strap attachment on each side and re-use the strap from my Indy bag.

Going to see the film for the 3rd time today, this time at the iMax!

Last edited:
My GF's took about four weeks to ship and then another two weeks or so to arrive, IIRC, but we pre-ordered them. They appear to have lots more options "In Stock" now.

And just a reminder.. we have a pair of size 40s that are a bit too big for her feet so if anyone is finding their 37-39 a bit too snug, we're looking to trade down! ;)

Catching up on this thread and just saw this. I have ordered a 39, but I'm on the fence on if they'll work for me. If, when I get them, they are snug, I'll keep you in mind if this still applies.

I'm in the UK so sourcing a Signals bag isn't difficult,

Hmmm... I wonder if you might consider sourcing one for me, then? :)

I ended up using one of the smaller "backpacks" from the wwII era web gear because I couldn't find a signals satchel on eBay for less than fifty dollars US! My pouch looks "OK", but I would like to make one from the proper bag and pass mine along to another Rey .

--OR-- if you'd rather not pay someone to alter a Signals satchel, and you like mine, I'd trade you.

12376039_10207691807629543_4320339928327949310_n.jpg

Hmmm... I wonder if you might consider sourcing one for me, then? :)

--OR-- if you'd rather not pay someone to alter a Signals satchel, and you like mine, I'd trade you.

View attachment 571344

I should be able to source one for you. The 2 army surplus stores near my office have closed (one of them was used to source costume bits for the original SW films), but there is another big one on my journey home: http://www.silvermans.co.uk/collect...7-pattern-signals-satchel?variant=10195059587 You can pick and chose your own colour/date/quality If you were going for a Khaki/post-war/supergrade I'd do it as a trade. I'll go to the shop rather than mail order so I can pick the best of the available ones.

Hey guys, so glad i found this page as those damn bags have been haunting me ever since i saw the trailer. I have a look and you found it to be a British Army Signal Satchel, just with one side lopped off and strap mounts moved etc. Well ive happened to have found a guy who has these same ones in stock for just under £20 ( $30 US) is it simple enough to modify and stitch back into place?

EDIT - Turns out its the same place as someone posted above so pretty certain its the right one!!!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back