Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

This thread has been awesome - thanks for all the resources!

Figured I'd share what I've been doing on the boots and hopefully get some opinions on the two options I'm considering.

Option 1:
Getting these and modifying/distressing them (basically a cheaper version of the Ugg Cardy boot):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P4OJ3Y/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2P5I4NW0QQAX1
BEARPAW-Womens-Knit-Tall-BootGrey8-M-US-0-4.jpg

Option 2: Getting something like these boots to use as a base because they have close to the right shape:
682W_brown_bearpaw_abigail_boot_8_inch_boot_lp1.jpg

And using this fabric & distressing it for the woven parts:
http://www.moodfabrics.com/fashion-fabrics/wool/woven/italian-dark-olive-textured-wool-fw11522.html
FW11522.jpg
(Or maybe this http://www.moodfabrics.com/fashion-fabrics/wool/woven/milk-chocolate-silk-woven-302682.html)
Which are the most similar looking fabrics I've been able to find to the look of the boots.

I agree on the wool. If you plan on modding a boot the shorter is the better option, they will hold the shape better I think.

I haven't forgotton about taking a picture, its just been a busy couple of days. I have a day off work Wed, so I should be able to get a shot then of the wrap material.

Now here is a million dollar question.... how is the sizing? Does it seem to run big or run small? Since its a juniors store I figure they only have juniors sizes.

Got a reply from my niece.
Yes its a typical juniors fit. I bought a size Small, and its true to size in the waist. Because of the material and style it is, the legs of the pants are more baggy/flowy. It has a half elastic waistband, elastic being in the back, measuring about 30'' around without stretching. And the length of the pant itself, from the top of the waist band to the hem, is about 41''. Keep in mind these are measurements for the size Small.

More material for boots.
What do you ladies think of this?
They are looking into getting brown. If anyone else is interested I could do a bulk order and split it with them.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e1105...em=111667376231&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I did a lot of searching for a heavy basketwoven upholstery fabric and didn't have any luck, but that one could be really good in brown. Any idea on a timeline for that color? I'm in a bit of a crunch trying to get a basic version of the costume done for SDCC, but I'll be continuing work on it for NYCC if people end up doing a bulk order.

They are ANH lenses.

Find someone that produces them or make a mold and vac form them yourself.

Do people produce just the eye section? I was under the impression that when people do vac form projects, they did the helmets with a continuous front piece, back piece, and top piece that are then attached together (hope that makes sense). I know you can buy just the lens inserts pretty easily, but it's the other part that's a bit of an issue (the part that the lenses actually sit in on the helmet). I've never done anything with vac forming, though I understand the basic process. My projects thus far haven't been particularly heavy on such props.

Last edited:
You only need the lenses not the face plate.
Her goggles are just the lenses sandwiched in a fabric holder, leather on the outside, fabric on the inside.

For a budget build you can just use glasses.

Goggles-I considered cutting down one of my buckets, but decided to just make the shape out of sintra and attach the lenses. Just waiting on the plastic to arrive.

I'm pretty sure these are those pants on their website if people are interested:

http://www.forever21.com/Product/Pr..._pants-wideleg&ProductID=2000116503&VariantID=

I did try these ones but found them to be a little pinkish and overly textured up close.

The pants I found at Forever 21 were a little different.

FullSizeRender 9.jpg

They're nice because they don't have obvious pockets or trim, but a little dark perhaps? Depends if you read her costume as being taupe or tan.

But they flow very nicely and feel right. I am having a hard time finding them on the site though... the tag says "Pant - Long Wove - Cocoa" and the barcode is 49258717041

You only need the lenses not the face plate.
Her goggles are just the lenses sandwiched in a fabric holder, leather on the outside, fabric on the inside.

For a budget build you can just use glasses.

It looks like there's more to it than the fabric/leather layers - it doesn't look totally flexible. A set of lenses isn't too expensive, so I will probably order some and do some experimenting to see what works best.

Goggles-I considered cutting down one of my buckets, but decided to just make the shape out of sintra and attach the lenses. Just waiting on the plastic to arrive.

I had thought about cutting this section out of like, a cheapo commercially available costume helmet/mask, but I don't think it would look very good. I have a couple small 8.5x11 sintra pieces that were bought for a different project that didn't end up getting used... Might be a good base to attach the lenses and fabrics to. I didn't even think about digging that stuff out. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Staff Sling- This is what I found today, samples inbound. Sling Original.pngSling Source.png I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting their pics.

Update: the sling arrived, alas too thin and short.
It needs to be about 2" wide and 44"-50" long, light olivedrab. I ordered a cloth belt, will update when it arrives.

Last edited:
I did try these ones but found them to be a little pinkish and overly textured up close.

The pants I found at Forever 21 were a little different.

View attachment 487903

They're nice because they don't have obvious pockets or trim, but a little dark perhaps? Depends if you read her costume as being taupe or tan.

But they flow very nicely and feel right. I am having a hard time finding them on the site though... the tag says "Pant - Long Wove - Cocoa" and the barcode is 49258717041

I think those are these pants which are sold out online right now (correct price & color):

http://www.forever21.com/Product/Product.aspx?BR=f21&Category=bottom_pants&ProductID=2049258717

Oo, good find Kristenhenry70! I might have to look at that for my "everyday cosplay" version of Rey. :) (As I'm going to be the nut to do not one, but TWO version of Rey. One for as-accurate-as-possible cosplay and the other for an everyday outfit to wear. Because that's how I roll.)

I bought a pair too.. they should show up in a few days. I'm totally going to Harem them out though... but yea. I would do an everyday of this costume too :-D

Staff Sling- This is what I found today, samples inbound. View attachment 488358View attachment 488360 I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting their pics. I was actually at C7 for four days and completely missed the costume exhibit!

I'm currently doing a budget home depot build of the staff and this is super helpful thanks!
Here's a photo of what I've got so far, I'll post more pictures when it gets father along.staff progress.jpg
I have a breakdown of all the parts if anyone is interested

This thread has been so helpful, thanks everyone! :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back