Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Sorry for cross posts for anyone whose also on the Backpack thread but I'm just looking for thoughts on waxed thread color for my scavenger backpack. The top matches really well the color of the leather. But I like the bottom one more in how it feels and such. I also have a lot more of it and am not sure I have enough of the first one for the whole pack. Well, any thoughts appreciated!

View attachment 748292

Dont forget your leather colour is going to lighten alot when you weather. i think you should go with the bottom one

Oh my god this is looking perfect!! And great find on the Movie Paint sprays, your shoulder pad is looking gorgeous!!

my apartment got briefly invaded so I couldn't work on the costume for a bit. Now I come back to find out there's a whole new costume! With good reference images! And the fabric is sold out already...

View attachment 748433

I'll leave the backpack rambling for the backpack thread, now I just need to find some cheap water bottles to build into the canon accurate bottles. I was also thinking of using Co2 cannisters for the little silver pods.

View attachment 748434

The staff is nearly done! I've just had a nightmare of a time installing the snaps into the straps. I got a snap setting kit from Tandys but I just can't seem to hammer the teeth into the fabric. I get them to bend open but they just stay that way, all loose like.

View attachment 748435

Shoulder harness is is currently drying outside because after two months without having to leave anything to dry California chose this week to have a sudden humidity spell.

oh my god, this is amazing!! Between these gorgeous pattern pieces and the beautiful stitch work from the backpack thread I'm seriously reconsidering giving this backpack another go... At this rate I should be done in time for Star Wars XXIII

kristen this is absolutely breathtaking.

If you ever do decide to try another bag I now have DIY kits available with a full set of build instructions.

Mbotastic is working up her pack from one of my kits just now :)

The kit is amazing. It really made it all possible. If you want to make the bag and feel nervous about putting it all together and getting all the supplies this is a great way to go. Here's my bag from the kit (nearly done).
20170805_201852.jpg

If you ever do decide to try another bag I now have DIY kits available with a full set of build instructions.

Mbotastic is working up her pack from one of my kits just now :)

How are your pants going? I am wanting to upgrade I think. And triple leg ties! How did I miss that discovery. What silk are you using? I used the crepe de chine from Dharma on my pants that I have now. Its nice because it has a little stretch and a nice drape and it dyed well, but really not comfortable. Its hot for some reason and very delicate. Thanks!

I finished my final mockup, triple leg ties, strip down the side, and all! Now on to the silk!

Hello eveyone ! Just wanted to let you know that I've found a new rug for the shoulder pad. This rug is made in coton, exactly like the old one, but the seams are smaller and look more accurate. I can offer you to send a chunk of it or an entire rug if you want it. It's 7€. For now, it can be only find in a store "Babou" near my home in France. Please let me know if you're interest.

DSC01214[2].jpg

DSC01212[1].jpg

Before and after :D

4.jpg

Last edited:
How are your pants going? I am wanting to upgrade I think. And triple leg ties! How did I miss that discovery. What silk are you using? I used the crepe de chine from Dharma on my pants that I have now. Its nice because it has a little stretch and a nice drape and it dyed well, but really not comfortable. Its hot for some reason and very delicate. Thanks!

Pretty well! I'm using the crepe de chine as well, and it is very delicate! I'm about half way done with the pants, I've got the leg ties overlocked on the sides, and the pant legs ready to sew together. I actually had a minor set back, I made two pant legs for the same side, and had to undo one and reverse it.

Thank you so much to everyone on this thread! Although I am a new member on the RPF I gained so much insight into how to construct my Rey cosplay in 2015 from here. So many talented members and such great Rey builds. I admit, mine is not screen-accurate but I know I wouldn't have been able to achieve half of what I did without this thread. Here is what your advice helped me create: http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=750802&d=1502425111

Last edited:
Pretty well! I'm using the crepe de chine as well, and it is very delicate! I'm about half way done with the pants, I've got the leg ties overlocked on the sides, and the pant legs ready to sew together. I actually had a minor set back, I made two pant legs for the same side, and had to undo one and reverse it.
I wore my pants for the first time yesterday and... They didn't hold up. The fabric ended up with runs in it. Hmmmm. When you've got yours done I'd love to see pictures of you dont mind sharing. I'm thinking of lining them or something.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hi everyone! I debuted my scavenger Rey for the first time yesterday at Boston Comic Con. Phew. It was exciting. Thank you for being an invaluable resource and supporting coomunity. I've got some tinkering to do (like the prior mentioned pants fix) and more weathering on the pack, but I think it's pretty good!
c4f54f8e401e29eafdb722013bb1ccac.jpg
7d39e225118d16e8751435e0db4a1bf0.jpg
faa71c220be87dc4095101eb52f4ce96.jpg

It looks wonderful! Fantastic job! The pants look perfect.

Hmmm,. I wonder why you got runs. Honestly, I was wondering if it would need a lining because of how sheer the silk is. It is delicate, but I would have thought it would hold up a little.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi everyone! I debuted my scavenger Rey for the first time yesterday at Boston Comic Con. Phew. It was exciting. Thank you for being an invaluable resource and supporting coomunity. I've got some tinkering to do (like the prior mentioned pants fix) and more weathering on the pack, but I think it's pretty good! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170813/c4f54f8e401e29eafdb722013bb1ccac.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170813/7d39e225118d16e8751435e0db4a1bf0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170813/faa71c220be87dc4095101eb52f4ce96.jpg

Congratulations!

Thank you so much! It was such a blast. So satisfying! And everything really held up well. Lol. Minus the pants. Grrrrr.

I love the pants in most ways. That fabric took dye the best and was by far the easiest dye part of the build. I love how the color turned out. And they are comfy, which is not always the case with costume pants. And actually they turned out to not be that hot. But here is a picture of the little tares. I'm not sure what happened. They are on the front. I thought maybe I got them from sitting but it would make more sense if they were in the back. Oh well. I'm not sure what I'll do. I have a pair of cotton pants from Amazon that a lot of people modified that I think I'll use until I figure something out. I don't have anymore of this fabric. I could maybe pull apart the pants and Frankenstien something back together. But that is still a little out of my skill zone. Not quite sure what I'll do. I ordered some swatches of Crepe de Chine from Mood in various grey/tan/taupe shades to see if one would work without dying. I was also thinking I could find a commission for the pants and buy and dye the fabric (this is also the ONLY dye mix that I actually kept track of out of this whole thing. Hahaha).

20170814_131541.jpg

But thank you again!!! I'll probably never stop tinkering with this or that though, right? Hahah.

It looks wonderful! Fantastic job! The pants look perfect.

Hmmm,. I wonder why you got runs. Honestly, I was wondering if it would need a lining because of how sheer the silk is. It is delicate, but I would have thought it would hold up a little.

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations!

Those look a bit like a flaw in the fabric to me. The runs don't even particularly look like something snagged. Was that the stonewashed silk?

I hope you get something put together. The pants do look great in your pictures.

Well, I finished my pants! They are light, airy, and sooo soft! The stonewashed silk has a bit of stretch to it, and I personally found it to be quite cool.

Pictures to follow when I get the time to take some. I'm hoping the fabric will hold up ok after hearing about mbotastic's problems with it, but so far it seems alright. I ordered three yards of it, and had just enough, although cutting out the ties was a little tricky. I used a modified version of the pattern that was suggested waaay back in the beginning for the pants, (and I made three mockups!) and it worked out really well. I'll post a picture of the pattern when I post the pant pics.

Well, I finished my pants! They are light, airy, and sooo soft! The stonewashed silk has a bit of stretch to it, and I personally found it to be quite cool.

Pictures to follow when I get the time to take some. I'm hoping the fabric will hold up ok after hearing about mbotastic's problems with it, but so far it seems alright. I ordered three yards of it, and had just enough, although cutting out the ties was a little tricky. I used a modified version of the pattern that was suggested waaay back in the beginning for the pants, (and I made three mockups!) and it worked out really well. I'll post a picture of the pattern when I post the pant pics.
Congrats! Looking forward to pictures. They sounds lovely and I especially can't wait to see your cuffs. I've been reconstructing my pants. I've pulled apart the existing ones and am reinforcing the seams and using a smaller stitch. But I'm also working on new cuffs with an eye to better affix the leg wraps and add a third one.

Side note: your pacing on this build Goldhawk is inspired. Sometimes I feel this push to rush, rush, rush. I love how you take your time! I'm trying to learn to do that. [emoji1]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much to everyone on this thread! Although I am a new member on the RPF I gained so much insight into how to construct my Rey cosplay in 2015 from here. So many talented members and such great Rey builds. I admit, mine is not screen-accurate but I know I wouldn't have been able to achieve half of what I did without this thread. Here is what your advice helped me create: http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=750802&d=1502425111

That looks sooo awesome! <3

Have you joined the Rey Cosplay Community FB group yet? We'd love to have you there if not.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1672721166338925/

- - - Updated - - -

Hi everyone! I debuted my scavenger Rey for the first time yesterday at Boston Comic Con. Phew. It was exciting. Thank you for being an invaluable resource and supporting coomunity. I've got some tinkering to do (like the prior mentioned pants fix) and more weathering on the pack, but I think it's pretty good! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170813/c4f54f8e401e29eafdb722013bb1ccac.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170813/7d39e225118d16e8751435e0db4a1bf0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170813/faa71c220be87dc4095101eb52f4ce96.jpg

Frakkin way to go, Scavenger Sestra! It all loos super awesome. Very well done! <3

Pant pictures have arrived! Here they are in their entirety:

View attachment 753208

The stripe on the legs:

View attachment 753210

The cuffs and the ties:

View attachment 753211

View attachment 753212

View attachment 753213

I'm very happy with how this turned out! Especially since this means that I'm finished with the basic parts of the costume, minus weathering and putting the whole thing together!
Freaking fantastic! These look amazing. The pics inspire me to sort it my pants. And we're all so much closer to seeing your finished scavenger, which is going to rule.

View attachment 753208

The stripe on the legs:

View attachment 753210

The cuffs and the ties:

View attachment 753211

View attachment 753212

View attachment 753213

I'm very happy with how this turned out! Especially since this means that I'm finished with the basic parts of the costume, minus weathering and putting the whole thing together![/QUOTE Goldhawk, quick question about your leg wraps. Are the edges done with a serger to keep them from fraying or another stich... Maybe an overcast stitch? I was trying to place it today while I was working on mine. I don't have a serger so I was trying other stitches. Thanks!

View attachment 753208

The stripe on the legs:

View attachment 753210

The cuffs and the ties:

View attachment 753211

View attachment 753212

View attachment 753213

I'm very happy with how this turned out! Especially since this means that I'm finished with the basic parts of the costume, minus weathering and putting the whole thing together![/QUOTE @Goldhawk, quick question about your leg wraps. Are the edges done with a serger to keep them from fraying or another stich... Maybe an overcast stitch? I was trying to place it today while I was working on mine. I don't have a serger so I was trying other stitches. Thanks!

mbotastic, I used an overlock stitch on the ties, as I don't have a serger either. I used a scrap of silk and tried different stitch lengths until I found one that looked right. I finished the long edges, but left the short one unfinished so that it could fray a little.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back