Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

I don't know that i would ever wear my headwrap as a proper shirt... :p

I have cut the body of it so slim in order to decrease bulk round my neck (don't want a turkey craw, after all) that i doubt it would fit on my torso now anyway LOL

I used a 4-5 oz.hide I bought from Maverick Leather. Any heavier, and it will be difficult to sew, as well as not weathering so well in terms of softening it, IMO.
There are also a couple of places on the bag where the leather is doubled and sewn together, (the fastening straps on the front) and you don't want too much extra bulk there!

I finally got my viscose hemmed and cut down to 18" width. Something I should have done long ago, but shiny new toys like backpacks caught my eye!
Speaking of which, I'm hoping to have the backpack done by the end of this month. All I have left to do is attach the shoulder straps and the last piece of webbing for the greeblies on the top of the flap!

Quick back pack question. What weight leather should I be looking at getting?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I'd say about a 4-5 ounce is right.

I used a pre-oiled hide for my latest two builds... so it's not so stiff and I was able to stitch it with my little Singer table top believe it or not.

Yes,

IMG_1416-resized.jpg

I answered a question about it last month:
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=237501&page=131&p=4248688&viewfull=1#post4248688

and 2 posts below it. To my knowledge I don't think it has been determined what the movie used bag is actually made from.

I knew people here would have ideas! I'm in Europe so I will definitely try to get in touch with the UK seller and see if I can get my hands on some. If not I may take you up on that offer Kristen, although I'm not great with a drill so I'll keep my fingers crossed for the supplier to work out!

Just wanted to quickly update on this - unfortunately I still haven't heard back from the guy which is a little disappointing. But then I realised that my two straps for the staff came with those hardware pieces attached to them, so I actually have 4 of those caps. Feeling a bit of an eejit but at least I figured it out before buying something!

Hi everyone,
I took a first crack at the shoulder pad. Thoughts and feedback welcome. I cut slits at first for the lower webbing to weave through three times...but then saw some photos that show it going through only twice in longer segments. Folks have a preference? Is one better? Guess I have the option now! I'm waiting to go pick up some hardware after work one day so I can actually affix everything. The size is 9" x 7.5" roughly. Seems about right when I put it on my shoulder.

20170705_214133.jpg20170705_205239.jpg20170705_213104.jpg

I also pulled out this army waterproof bag and started to look at it in terms of making the salvage bag. I think it will work well. It looks to be the right material/texture (has a slight gloss to it). I'm waiting to get the mesh before I get working. I also picked up some extra wide and heavy bias tape in a dark brown to try instead of webbing around the bag. But I also have webbing. Its hard to tell in the reference photos which it is. Anyone have thoughts on this? It seems thinner than webbing, but its also hard to imagine that its not. But also feeling the bag makes me think webbing would be too heavy. In analyzing the mesh pocket on the front it seems like I'll have to cut away a panel in the front and sew in the mesh and some material (I do have a second one I could use) to create an external pocket. That gives me the thought to maybe double layer the whole thing to make it tougher....Anyway, guess I'll tinker.

20170705_220147.jpg20170705_220052.jpg20170705_220132.jpg20170705_220141.jpg

Last edited:
Quick inquirery. For those who used the Dharms Trading woven fabric for the head wrap. Did you dye it? Or just weather it? It's a natural color so I was hesitant to dye it. But maybe it needs a little do in a grey bath?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Definitely wash the fabric first! It shrinks quite a bit.
I put mine into a very light taupe bath with a little bit of pearl grey (rit). I had a big tub I put a bunch of hot water in and a very light splash of dye. I did test pieces, timing them and adjusting the dye till it looked right. Wet, it should be just a little darker than the reference picture.
I dried the test pieces with a hairdryer to check them.
When they came out the correct color I put the whole fabric in the dye bath for the amount of time that the final correct test piece had taken and stirred it around.
When it was done I dried a corner to make sure it was the correct color, and then threw it in the dryer.
Hopefully this helps!

I also added a little extra grey and dyed the armwraps in the same water.

All my full scavengers lookin' GOOD! Nice job, guys!

I still haven't started this version. Life is...odd...for me right now. But my Resistance Rey is done and I'm very happy with it. Onward, sister Reys!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back