Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

A gathering of a Scavenger's things...

10391481_10208078071125889_1958480724759275162_n.jpg
12688227_10208078070325869_6930802987210244283_n.jpg
12669428_10208078070685878_6455088037179341028_n.jpg
12642824_10208078069845857_8999484320782608726_n.jpg

Now to wait for my head wrap fabric to arrive from Dharma, and to find a blasted flashlight for the goggles...!

I gathered it first, and then attached it to the shirt at the shoulder seams. once I had that on, I draped it the way that it's meant to go, and then strategically tack stitched it in a few places to the shirt so I can just put it all on at once.

Ok, great! That's basically how I was thinking I was going to do it. I didn't want to have to adjust the wrap every 2 seconds! The color/pleating on it came out great, I know you mentioned you still have some weathering to do but so far, really well done!

Thanks!

The fabric was a good sandy tone to begin with, and then I dipped it in RIT Taupe dye for about 10 seconds and wrung it out and dried it. That sort of gave it a tea stained look.

I want to try airbrushing darker in the folds to make them look more prominent.

I have the Rit taupe as well, but my fabric is more white (I'm using the viscose from Dharma, although I did see a few in Joanns I might test). Thinking about experimenting with a sparay bottle, I've had some success in the past on dirtying up clothes for Walking Dead and Evil Dead stuff.

Been following this thread since it started...and havent posted till now. Im not currently in the "building" phase, but will be in a month when I get home after a year away. My wife and one of her really good friends are doing Rey (my wife) and Kylo Ren (my friends wife) for Dragon Con. So we are going to be busy putting this together while Im not doing any Fett commissions. Theres alot of great info in here but lacking pics/info on the backpack...I noticed in the visual dictionary that there were a few pics not posted in here...will link from my phone in a sec...Im kinda excited as I learned to work with leather last year from a friend. So between all of the leather belts/bracer/backpack I get to stretch my leather making legs out again.

It appears someone is selling a "repro" British P 37 bag on eBay, for those that might want to "dirty it up yourselves" for authenticity:

Item number: 331611544848

(no affiliation, just an observation) ;)

I think this CAN work really well considering its price is that of what the real deal WAS before...and the corners are only folded under so it can be modded easily I think.

Notice the flaps are stiched not cut..

.s-l500.jpg

Be forewarned that the pouches unravel really easily and fast so be careful modifying them.

Is there any way around this? Maybe singe the edges with flame after cutting? Ive not worked with canvas much before...

Check out the high res pix on this site.
link

especially the face close up with makeup in the shirt and holding staff (bloody knuckles)
Going to say wool on the goggles and in the other pic you can see the sleeve under the arm wraps.

Definitely not the same as the ones from the launch bay...maybe one is a stunt set? Either way the "flaps" as Im calling them of rubber that are on the ones in the launch bay remind me alot of something like a gas mask or suspension system for a helmet....havent found anything yet but you can see the center flap was cut off completely on the ones in the launch bay.

As for the back pack see my post below theres all sorts of neat things I'll have to build for this thing...even if you cant see them.

So far Ive gotten her the Po-zu boots (she loves these things), spoken to JJ about his resin pieces (not printed) waiting for him to get those going. Ive ordered a graflex 2.0 the electronics for the inside...need to wait for other stuff to be off backorder to order. Been combing the thread looking at all the fabrics and such that have been used so next month with the wifes help we'll order all the fabrics and leather and get to work on the soft goodies. I also ordered bubble lenses, enfield slings, the replica pouch and helping hand to tear apart...need to get some leather hardware when I order the leather...

For the petzel gloves how is sizing?

Been scowering the internet for a flashlight...closet thing I can come up with...way to long though. I feel like its gotta be something like my princeton tec helmet light. As in about 2.5-3"

OK i also found this one for $125! yeh....s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
The light they used had a KREE LED.
You can tell because the hero was on display at D23 and it had the yellow light behind the lens (KREE's are yellow in appearance)

So far I think I'm the only one that has actually made the leather pack.
Currently repainting the accessories and still need to weather it.

The vintage signal satchels are cotton so burning the edge will probably catch it on fire and then you'll have a real problem.
You could probably try to pre-sew along the edge before cutting.

Last edited:
I was looking at the cree LED flashlights...are there any shots of the front of the light you have?

Found a few shots in my mess of a folder I saved someone posted in here.... disregard. Going to probably get it 3d printed....

Last edited:
Reddish brown cloth? Where was that? I must have missed that.

I epoxy'd the lenses into 1/8th black flexible foam (what I had on hand), and it's easy to trim.

Worbla! How is it I'd never heard of this stuff before. Wow. (had to google)

White leather face, grey wool felt, grey leather (or possibly rubber), reddish brown cloth (same stuff used for the left shoulder plate)

What exact materials are you all using to make the goggles? I have the accurate lenses and I intend to use worbla as a base for the frame, but I have no idea what to wrap them in to get that accurate look.

Thanks,
JJ

Ever since TFA came out we've been seeing more and more little girls suiting up as Rey. Here was a party we trooped at today with my wife as Rey with all the little Rey's
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBe1XRZp3tH/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
See, this is why TFA is so great: so many young girls (and hopefully many boys) realising that a female hero can carry a movie, kick butt and rescue people but still show vulnerability and compassion. Ok, so some folks already got the girl-power message from Leia way back when,(she did literally throw off the shackles of her oppression - after using them to deliver the ultimate ironic message to Jabba), but she also spent a lot of time waiting around for men to do things.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back