Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Hi guys! This is my first post, and I just wanted to say THANK YOU so much to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have been lurking it for the last couple of months, and without all the hard work you guys have put into researching the costume, I would have never finished up before the premiere.

I haven't made the headwrap/goggles and staff yet, because it wouldn't have been allowed into the theater, but I plan on finishing up the full scavenger look for London's Celebration next year. I just wanted to share with you my progress so far:

12347910_10205501207864981_5092845315021481661_n.jpg

Mats:

Tunic: Hemp/cotton jersey from Dharma; dyed with ECRU fiber reactive dye (although if I remake it, I will choose a more grey color - I spent WEEKS agonizing over what color her costume was). I used cotton gauze for the sleeves (I originally got this for the arm wraps, but changed my mind. Luckily, I had dyed both together so they were the same color) and went over the whole thing with sandpaper and dry brushed brown paint (hard to see in this picture)

Pants: Raw Silk from Dharma; dyed with SAND DUNE acid dye (I ordered a different kind of silk to try as this one feels too nubby, but looks decent in pictures and is pretty comfortable otherwise)

Legwraps: Leftover Raw Silk - I hit the edges with fray glue which gave them a rugged appearance, but also made them insanely uncomfortable. After seeing the movie now, it doesn't even look like she used them!

Boots: From Pozu

Arm Wraps: Medical gauze; soaked for several hours in coffee/grinds, dry brushed with brown paint and the edges were seared with a soldering iron

Tabard Wrap: Viscose Silk/Rayon Blend from Dharma; dyed with SAND DUNE acid dye - twisted it into knots and left to air dry to create the wrinkles - I will probably iron out the bottoms a little so they aren't so tightly wrinkled later

Belts: Raw leather blanks from Tandy; dyed with OLD LEATHER shoe dye from shoecaresupplies.com (MY FAVORITE WEBSITE EVER BTW), touched up the edges with BLACK shoe dye, then went over the whole thing with the preparer to give it a worn look. Stretched and bent it several times to cause creases. Used the buckles from my Signal Satchel bag (not featured). Used twine for the details on the side. They were two separate pieces, so I used contact cement on the edges, then a piece of faux leather as backing to keep them together where they meet

Gloves: Pretzl gloves; removed the Pretzl wrap and dyed them with LEATHER, OLD LEATHER, and dry brushed BLACK shoe dye. Used preparer generously to create weather looked

Bracer: Used Division's blueprint (thank youuuuu) and two pieces of faux leather with black craft foam sandwiched inside (gave it a very nice seamed look). Contact cemented the leather sides to the craft foam and trimmed the edges. Cut the slots in and it was basically done. Painted the backside with LEATHER shoe dye to give the accent color

Her hairstyle is actually really easy to imitate, although for longer hair, you're going to need a lot of hairspray lol. My hair was wet in this picture, so it's pretty terrible looking, but the general gist:

12376174_10205500887056961_6977982627444594385_n.jpg

I took my bangs and used a tiny hair tie to pull them back and hair sprayed the top of my hair to keep everything in place. Each 'bun' is that section of hair pulled into a half ponytail with the 'tail' wrapped around to create the bun. I used only one bobby pin for each to keep everything in place with hair spray. My hair is around the middle of my back. I imagine this would be easier for shorter hair.

Last edited:
Hi guys! This is my first post, and I just wanted to say THANK YOU so much to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have been lurking it for the last couple of months, and without all the hard work you guys have put into researching the costume, I would have never finished up before the premiere.

I haven't made the headwrap/goggles and staff yet, because it wouldn't have been allowed into the theater, but I plan on finishing up the full scavenger look for London's Celebration next year. I just wanted to share with you my progress so far:

View attachment 568755

Mats:

Tunic: Hemp/cotton jersey from Dharma; dyed with ECRU fiber reactive dye (although if I remake it, I will choose a more grey color - I spent WEEKS agonizing over what color her costume was). I used cotton gauze for the sleeves (I originally got this for the arm wraps, but changed my mind. Luckily, I had dyed both together so they were the same color) and went over the whole thing with sandpaper and dry brushed brown paint (hard to see in this picture)

Pants: Raw Silk from Dharma; dyed with SAND DUNE acid dye (I ordered a different kind of silk to try as this one feels too nubby, but looks decent in pictures and is pretty comfortable otherwise)

Legwraps: Leftover Raw Silk - I hit the edges with fray glue which gave them a rugged appearance, but also made them insanely uncomfortable. After seeing the movie now, it doesn't even look like she used them!

Boots: From Pozu

Arm Wraps: Medical gauze; soaked for several hours in coffee/grinds, dry brushed with brown paint and the edges were seared with a soldering iron

Tabard Wrap: Viscose Silk/Rayon Blend from Dharma; dyed with SAND DUNE acid dye - twisted it into knots and left to air dry to create the wrinkles - I will probably iron out the bottoms a little so they aren't so tightly wrinkled later

Belts: Raw leather blanks from Tandy; dyed with OLD LEATHER shoe dye from shoecaresupplies.com (MY FAVORITE WEBSITE EVER BTW), touched up the edges with BLACK shoe dye, then went over the whole thing with the preparer to give it a worn look. Stretched and bent it several times to cause creases. Used the buckles from my Signal Satchel bag (not featured). Used twine for the details on the side. They were two separate pieces, so I used contact cement on the edges, then a piece of faux leather as backing to keep them together where they meet

Gloves: Pretzl gloves; removed the Pretzl wrap and dyed them with LEATHER, OLD LEATHER, and dry brushed BLACK shoe dye. Used preparer generously to create weather looked

Bracer: Used Division's blueprint (thank youuuuu) and two pieces of faux leather with black craft foam sandwiched inside (gave it a very nice seamed look). Contact cemented the leather sides to the craft foam and trimmed the edges. Cut the slots in and it was basically done. Painted the backside with LEATHER shoe dye to give the accent color

Her hairstyle is actually really easy to imitate, although for longer hair, you're going to need a lot of hairspray lol. My hair was wet in this picture, so it's pretty terrible looking, but the general gist:

View attachment 568759

I took my bangs and used a tiny hair tie to pull them back and hair sprayed the top of my hair to keep everything in place. Each 'bun' is that section of hair pulled into a half ponytail with the 'tail' wrapped around to create the bun. I used only one bobby pin for each to keep everything in place with hair spray. My hair is around the middle of my back. I imagine this would be easier for shorter hair.

Looks awesome!! So you had two separate leather belts connected with a loop of fabric? Or is it one piece?

TheLadyNerd

I went on lunch today to Fine Fabrics, and they do indeed still have not one but two bolts of the same fabric I used. It's on the sheer aisle, on the bottom row on the left when you walk from the center of the store and the cutting tables. It has the crinkle texture I was looking for and is the same color. Incidentally, there were actually several other fabrics that would have worked well...quite a few more choices than I had (although, I'm still convinced the one I found was the best option). You'd definitely have to dye it and weather it, but that was pretty easy because the base color is already a sandy tone. The big thing for me was the draping and the way it will flow when the wind gets it. It may not be a screen accurate fabric, but it behaves and looks the same way. :) It COMPLETELY blew my mind to take a picture i the store, but I did dig up a photo on my cell phone of the same fabrics before I dyed them (the crinkle texture I used for the dress is the pile on the right). I couldn't find the cotton hemp blend I used when I remade the original under tunic, but I seem to remember that you said you already had that one? I did see several acceptable substitutes if you haven't.

20151020_183415.jpg

Also...I got the bag I ordered and wasn't happy with it so I went to a local army surplus store and bought a similar bag. I was SHOCKED at how much I had to choose from, so if you all don't have the $$$ to spend on the signal satchel, try a surplus store. He even gave me the alice clip for free when I asked if he had them. :) I was able to take it apart and alter in in just a couple hours. And not to toot my own horn, but I can't tell the difference between the bag I altered and the actual screen used piece. I just happen to know it's not *actually* a signal satchel and I can live with that. I'll post pictures of it later tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 568755

Mats:

You look fabulous!!! I love that you wrinkled the fabric. That's one of the details I felt was absolutely necessary to the overall look. Well done. :) the hair is still a work in progress for me and I'm not a girly girl, so any hair tips are welcomed!

Having now seen the film four times and counting, I'm convinced that there's some INTENSE pleating happening on Rey's wrap; the shoulders are quite rigid, which is what clued me in, and by the time it reaches the hem there's almost no ripples at all, which means it's not a textile effect (i.e. the entire piece of fabric having been steamed into pleats). Once I've finished wearing my "that'll do" costume to screenings, I'm going to have a go at replicating it - will report back!

Re: clembot --

I'm 99% sure the body scarf wrap thing is totally stitched to the Henley shirt underneath. I was both relieved and annoyed at this revelation after covering my shoulders for the 1000th time at the bar after the movie.... I plan to stitch mine in, with pleats.

In regards to hair.... Mine is long long long, to my butt. I have to say, three buns was a surprisingly huge pain in the butt for me to pull up! I still have 6 inches of hair left after doing a bun like Rey's, so each bun took the remnants of the last one (with plenty of hair getting all kinds of tangled into the next elastic, Argh!).... And I did my best to pin up what was still dangling after the third one with clips and bobby pins.

I felt it was a very impractical desert hairstyle, but Daisy probably doesn't have as much impractical hippie hair as I do...

Happy Holidays To everyone here. You all have done some amazing and remarkable things on some beautiful pieces of art. I have been just observing and reading and cheering for a couple weeks then reading more posts in this thread. After seeing the movie today for the 4th time with many more to come. I have decided That in 2016 i will be doing my first cosplay. Also going way out there with a leap of faith and going to work on creating a Epic Crossplay. With out giving anything about the movie. I came out of Star Wars in 77 and Empire wanting to be Luke, Han, A Tusken or Vader! I have come out these 4 times in last few days wanting to be REY!!! That is what excites me the most of the TFA It's a Game Changer for Women and Most of all for Girls of Younger ages. they now have a Super Hero In the Star wars Universe that is going to be a Legend. As Someone Said in this thread When Rey got something that people thought was going to someone else I just cheered big time truly a great and special moment! Just a few shout outs to a few of you for contributing so much time and passion to this thread I am so sorry i know i will miss some names still I wanted to thank TheLadynerd You started this thread april 16th 2015 wow look at what you created it took a life of its own Thank you so much. Then so many of you inspired this thread and gave it life Kristenhenry70,Clembot,JJ Griffin,DlarianFerrel,Division 6 Great work on finding the real Boots!,Sandworm7,Delaana Terallo,MiraDarkstar,TheLadyLexy,WinsomeWasp,SL13377,TheStylishGeek,Sinrider,Dela7X,Sheilajerusa,Zypher,DrMaul,Puck,AtlGurl9225,HothGirl,HollyAnn,TheWhiphand

Sorry if i missed anyone please forgive me so Many of you have inspired me to really do something i have wanted to do for many years Cosplay some of the risks you have all taken. Most of all how you all have come together to help one another in a time when as a society we don't share compassion and kindness enough. I have seen it in this thread and forum on a regular basis :) Happy Holidays to you all may all your wishes come true for the year ahead.

The Vest is going to be my project I feel it will be easier than the wrap dress so I look forward to helping when i can with ideas or stuff. This will be my frist project along with one i just got my sith Robe this week to start creating a Tusken Sith in 2016 so Maybe this time next year i will have 2 Costumes for Rouge One...

Dan

In regards to hair.... Mine is long long long, to my butt. I have to say, three buns was a surprisingly huge pain in the butt for me to pull up! I still have 6 inches of hair left after doing a bun like Rey's, so each bun took the remnants of the last one (with plenty of hair getting all kinds of tangled into the next elastic, Argh!).... And I did my best to pin up what was still dangling after the third one with clips and bobby pins.

I felt it was a very impractical desert hairstyle, but Daisy probably doesn't have as much impractical hippie hair as I do...

I had the same problem and my hair is just barely getting that long. The struggle is real. I think I might have my hair thinned out in the back to try to keep some of the length but help the style work better. Thick plus long hair in this style is no bueno. Anyone that's using colored hairspray/temporary dye what brands and did you do it before or after styling?

So did anyone ever find the 3d print files for the staff or make them available? I see that the kits that people thought were getting made ended up not being available. Just was wondering if anyone has a link or the file available. Thanks!

I had the same problem and my hair is just barely getting that long. The struggle is real. I think I might have my hair thinned out in the back to try to keep some of the length but help the style work better. Thick plus long hair in this style is no bueno. Anyone that's using colored hairspray/temporary dye what brands and did you do it before or after styling?

Not sure how permanent you'd want to go, but I semi-permanently dye my hair every now and then. I used this one (that I've used before) a couple days before the premiere - Clairol Natural Instincts, color Nutmeg aka 28. I have dark blonde/light brown hair naturally and it gives a nice dark brown color.

I really found that hairstyle to be extremely practical. Not all the hairs on a persons head necessarily reach that one particular spot where you usually put a pony tail. Pulling back the bang area, and then having three small pony tails strategically placed kept my hair out of my face entirely. It was amazing. I've been pulling my bangs back like that all week and have debated wearing my hair in her style when not in costume.

No, in fact she does not. I sort of felt that they designed her hair that way precisely because she has shorter hair. It would have been hard to contain her shorter hair into one bun or pony because of the differing lengths. So in her case, three smaller ones does the trick in a more utilitarian way, while at the same time having a sort of Star Wars-y look to it.

If Rey had hair to her bum, I imagine she would have adopted something a bit different....perhaps a braid.

- - - Updated - - -

So did anyone ever find the 3d print files for the staff or make them available? I see that the kits that people thought were getting made ended up not being available. Just was wondering if anyone has a link or the file available. Thanks!

Contact JJGriffin.

http://www.therpf.com/member.php?u=93940

He produced several kits (I purchased one) and they are top shelf!

- - - Updated - - -

I've been pulling my bangs back like that all week and have debated wearing my hair in her style when not in costume.

Hahaha... me too! I'm wearing my hair totally Rey style at work today! I even did the strands down the sides of my ears. VERY good for keeping my hair out of my way at work. :thumbsup

Last edited:
Not sure how permanent you'd want to go, but I semi-permanently dye my hair every now and then. I used this one (that I've used before) a couple days before the premiere - Clairol Natural Instincts, color Nutmeg aka 28. I have dark blonde/light brown hair naturally and it gives a nice dark brown color.

How well does it wash out? I'm worried for anything to end up kinda permanent because I have a natural copper red hair that'd be hard to get back to the right color. I'll probably keep an eye out for some alternatives.

Waitwaitwait......so you guys are telling me that I can get my hair cut shorter and still do Rey's hair? :D (I had just posted on Facebook recently about how awful my hair looks right now and was debating whether to cut it shorter like Daisy) I mean seriously, look at this atrocity...
.12376411_10154411466558662_1380574031824261893_n.jpg

Happy Holidays To everyone here. You all have done some amazing and remarkable things on some beautiful pieces of art. I have been just observing and reading and cheering for a couple weeks then reading more posts in this thread. After seeing the movie today for the 4th time with many more to come. I have decided That in 2016 i will be doing my first cosplay. Also going way out there with a leap of faith and going to work on creating a Epic Crossplay. With out giving anything about the movie. I came out of Star Wars in 77 and Empire wanting to be Luke, Han, A Tusken or Vader! I have come out these 4 times in last few days wanting to be REY!!! That is what excites me the most of the TFA It's a Game Changer for Women and Most of all for Girls of Younger ages. they now have a Super Hero In the Star wars Universe that is going to be a Legend. As Someone Said in this thread When Rey got something that people thought was going to someone else I just cheered big time truly a great and special moment! Just a few shout outs to a few of you for contributing so much time and passion to this thread I am so sorry i know i will miss some names still I wanted to thank TheLadynerd You started this thread april 16th 2015 wow look at what you created it took a life of its own Thank you so much. Then so many of you inspired this thread and gave it life Kristenhenry70,Clembot,JJ Griffin,DlarianFerrel,Division 6 Great work on finding the real Boots!,Sandworm7,Delaana Terallo,MiraDarkstar,TheLadyLexy,WinsomeWasp,SL13377,TheStylishGeek,Sinrider,Dela7X,Sheilajerusa,Zypher,DrMaul,Puck,AtlGurl9225,HothGirl,HollyAnn,TheWhiphand

Sorry if i missed anyone please forgive me so Many of you have inspired me to really do something i have wanted to do for many years Cosplay some of the risks you have all taken. Most of all how you all have come together to help one another in a time when as a society we don't share compassion and kindness enough. I have seen it in this thread and forum on a regular basis :) Happy Holidays to you all may all your wishes come true for the year ahead.

Welcome Dan! We're all a bit mad here...but friendly! All the best with your new (and first! How cool is that?) cosplay! We'll all try to help where we can. :)

Mowseler - Your costume looks great! And thank you SO much for that lovely writeup sectioned out by piece. Nice and organized. :)

Right? So confusing why they made tiny adjustments just to confuse dorks like me...

Yes, as far as story goes, they are the same thing. Sadly, we had some sloppy props handling in the early 80s, so no one took that much notice and considered it "good enough." Thus, we have things like this:

ANHEE_ANHLE_ESB_comparison_small.jpg

I believe reports are saying that The Force Awakens saber is accurately the ESB saber. So, that's cool.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back