Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Apologies if I missed it: has anyone done a diagram/guide that explains how to actually put the cuff/bracer on? I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Oye. Well, I advise anyone else to attach their staff pieces before doing any painting. Not all, but some of the pieces are so tight fitting that they will not go over the dowel now :facepalm

Buying more paint and dowels tomorrow...yikes.

Yikes! Might I suggest a light sanding on the inside of the staff pieces? That might take a few fractions of a millimeter off to let you get those pieces on.

Yikes! Might I suggest a light sanding on the inside of the staff pieces? That might take a few fractions of a millimeter off to let you get those pieces on.

Tried that...no dice. Even tried a small jewelry file. I think it's the paint on paint. I sanded part of the dowel and it went on fine. Need to go to hobby lobby anyway for leather...sigh

Just wanted to share my completed Rey quickly!
everything there looks great! Id like to know exactly what you used for the arm wraps?

Just a tip for people doing the staff, I didn't get a 3d print one, but when I built mine I used gorilla glue. It sets up quickly and you just need a tiny amount. It will expand as it dries and it's paintable. So what I did was add a little extra around joints, so it seeped out to look like rough metal weld spots. Then I took channel lock pliers and (gently) grasped the plastic pieces to make scratches and indentations in it for a beat up look that later got painted silver to look like metal.

Last edited:
Apologies if I missed it: has anyone done a diagram/guide that explains how to actually put the cuff/bracer on? I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Well, I made this to ask divison 6 about how it worked. So, if you ignore the different paper colors (and the random section overhanging the 2" edge) this is how it works:

IMG_2800.JPGIMG_2801.JPGIMG_2803.JPGIMG_2804.JPGIMG_2805.JPG

Then the last step is the put the random tail through the last tiniest slot. I also wrote up instructions on page 43 of this thread I think it was. Hope this helps!

So just throwing this out there for anyone still working on the straps for the staff. I originally posted some pictures a few pages back with these laid down by a ruler for reference, but I stupidly didn't account for the thickness of the leather that holds the D ring in place, so I wanted to update. These are just reference photos of course, because depending on where you place your snaps the measurements could change a bit, but this fits the one inch dowel I mounted the pieces on. I will post a finished picture of the staff kit soon.

strap2.jpgstrap1.jpgstrap.jpg

Did you use the soda ash and non iodized salt?
Mix both dyes together in a cup of hot water then add to the water.
i just used a heaping spoon full of each. (used a disposable tea spoon)

Completely missed this post. Sorry!

I used iodized salt and followed the fairly terrible instructions on Dharma's site. Being new at the dyeing biz didn't help. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Completely missed this post. Sorry!

I used iodized salt and followed the fairly terrible instructions on Dharma's site. Being new at the dyeing biz didn't help. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah they aren't great instructions but they're OK. Definitely use plain salt or sea salt. I used sea salt the 1st time and plain Morton's salt the second.

These are the key points that I took note of (with my notes in bold italics):
1) Pre-Wash your fabric. Use HOT water and 1/4 cup Synthrapol or Dharma Professional Textile Detergent (PTD) per machine load. (Then don't touch the fabric with bare hands again​)
2) Dissolve your dye. Paste up the Fiber Reactive Dye with some warm water, smashing it with a spoon (I used a wide tongue depressor/popsicle stick in craft cups), like making gravy (mine looked more like sludge, just make sure it's done in a disposable cup, and try to make sure no bits of dye are undissolved​). Next, add about a cup of warm water (more if you are dissolving lots of dye, like with black) to the dye paste to make a well dissolved slurry. Finally, add to the tub or bucket (already filled with the correct amount of water) and stir to mix evenly.
3) Pour the required amount of the Non-Iodized Salt* into the dye bath. Add Calsolene Oil(Optional—breaks surface tension for more even, less streaky results; highly recommended for large loads). I used Calsolene Oil on mine, and I did 1/2 lb of fabric each time.
4) Add your wet fabric. Stir gently, but frequently, for 20 minutes. In a washing machine, set it to agitate (I stirred constantly for 20 min)
5) Add the Soda Ash. Dissolve Soda Ash with warm water and add slowly (I think I used about 1.5 cups of warm water​), over about 15 minutes, to the dye bath while stirring. Don't pour it directly onto the fabric (concentrated Soda Ash solution touching the fabric can leave darker splotches!) (I stirred constantly for the 15 minutes, pulling the fabric to the side with my stirring spoon, then pouring in the soda ash mixture, and then stirred the water around before letting the fabric go back into that area)
6) Rinse & wash out excess dye. Use cool running water until it runs almost clear, or put it through a couple of rinse cycles in the washing machine. Then wash in HOT water usingSynthrapol or Professional Textile Detergent to finish washing out the excess dye. (Used 1/4 cup again)

Then I let my fabric air-dry.

Paraphrased from http://www.dharmatrading.com/techni...t-dye-method.html?lnav=techniques_tubdye.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Oye. Well, I advise anyone else to attach their staff pieces before doing any painting. Not all, but some of the pieces are so tight fitting that they will not go over the dowel now :facepalm

Buying more paint and dowels tomorrow...yikes.

yes... I had that issue even putting them on before painting them. it was mostly with the longer tube sections. it's an easy fix, though... The first one that i put on that was tight i tried to forc3e and got it stuck about 1 foot from it's final destination. I slowly heated that one up with a hair dryer and was able to twist it enough to get it moving and get it into place. AFTER THAT... I went ahead and used some fine grit sandpaper rolled into a tube and lightly sanded the inside of each piece that i came to if it fought in any way going on. It doesn't take very long to ream them out enough for a perfectly snug fit. i really didn't need to glue the pieces into place at all, though i did just to be safe.

A HUGE thanks to JJGriffin for these kits!! They are fantastic, and the quality is top shelf.

yes... I had that issue even putting them on before painting them. it was mostly with the longer tube sections. it's an easy fix, though... The first one that i put on that was tight i tried to forc3e and got it stuck about 1 foot from it's final destination. I slowly heated that one up with a hair dryer and was able to twist it enough to get it moving and get it into place. AFTER THAT... I went ahead and used some fine grit sandpaper rolled into a tube and lightly sanded the inside of each piece that i came to if it fought in any way going on. It doesn't take very long to ream them out enough for a perfectly snug fit. i really didn't need to glue the pieces into place at all, though i did just to be safe.

A HUGE thanks to JJGriffin for these kits!! They are fantastic, and the quality is top shelf.

I sanded with 100 grit sandpaper and filed with a small metal file a fair bit last night without luck. It was the short ribbed pieces I was having trouble with the most. The larger ones seemed to go on just fine. But heat is an interesting idea...may try that one. I have an extra 12" of PVC that I painted as they cut a 2 foot one in half for me at Home Depot. It's more like 11.5" but I may just start over on the base piece. I'm short anyway, almost 5'4". My screws wouldn't come out either, so I guess I shouldn't have painted them or I should've drilled larger holes. I thought the silver base was a great idea anyway, so I may do that and go back over everything if there's time!

Also, I will second the thanks to JJ for knocking all these kits out! They're fantastic!

Well, I made this to ask divison 6 about how it worked. So, if you ignore the different paper colors (and the random section overhanging the 2" edge) this is how it works:

View attachment 566213View attachment 566214View attachment 566215View attachment 566216View attachment 566217

Then the last step is the put the random tail through the last tiniest slot. I also wrote up instructions on page 43 of this thread I think it was. Hope this helps!
Oh you life saver!! Thank you! :D

Thank you everyone on this thread for all the help and advice.

Coming down to the wire for Thursday!! Here's where I am now. Still want to finish a pack and have some materials to attempt the goggles and gloves but I'm not sure I'll be able to finish those in time.
image.jpeg

Not sure why the photo looks weird...

For those who asked, this is how the coffee-dyed bandages look (against a sheet of white paper).

DSCN2774.jpg

Aaaand I thought I'd share a pic of my costume. :) Forgive the fact that the colors are atrociously off, definitely much too warm... but I just have no desire to mess around with dying, and I think it still has something of the right look. (also ignore my un-styled hair... xD)

DSCN2770.jpg

Finished!! Very happy with this, not going to lie.Thank you JJ for the kit, and for everyone who has been contributing to the thread!

IMG_20151215_222816.jpgrey staff 2.jpgrey staff 3.jpg

Cool posters!! Everyone's outfit and the staffs are looking amazing. We are gonna rock the Rey scene!! :)

So, I have fought with my staff for the entire night so far. My hands are red and sting, and there's dust everywhere, and my dogs think I'm crazy. But...ta-da!!! Off to paint!

image.jpeg

Gotta love staying up until almost 4am on a weeknight :facepalm Here's how the Krylon Oiled Bronze spray paint looks, The pieces were flat black already, so I just went over it with this paint and over the dowel. Unfortunately the dowel grain is showing...but worst case this will work for the movie TOMORROW!!! AH! Many thanks to kristenhenry70 for posting pictures of her staff suspended. That was a fantastic way to paint it the second go around!

IMG_3172.JPGIMG_3173.JPGIMG_3174.JPGIMG_3175.JPG

Need to seal my belt and finish attaching the pieces...make staff attachments...dye wrap dress and make the shirt tonight. Oye. May the Force be with me? :p

IMG_3175.JPG

IMG_3174.JPG

IMG_3173.JPG

IMG_3172.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back