Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

I attached them before.

Thanks! I went ahead and put my staff base together, then painted the pieces separately (before attaching). Hopefully that will work OK and I can do touch up later. Haven't attached as it's a 24 hr full dry time.

Love your silver then black approach! Wish I'd thought of that. Can always go over it later I suppose with silver touches.

This worked perfectly for priming, and was only $5.99 at Hobby Lobby (even works on PVC): http://www.krylon.com/products/colormaster-plastic-primer/

Then I used a double black matte from Amazon - Rustoleum brand, $12ish: http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/painters-touch-ultra-cover-2x/matte

Everything is sprayed black, so I'll post pics later! I'm at work for the day now...

Managed to dye the silk knit with no problem. They're a little green, but so are her pants I guess. I don't know what happened as they are quite different from the test strip I did with the same ratio of dye - those were more brown. I hope they will work! My mom did a great job sewing. To anyone thinking of using the silk knit, it's a pain in the you-know. Jammed my mom's machine multiple times. I'm just lucky she lives nearby and was willing to take on the challenge!

Edit: I used ~1tsp safari grey and ~1/2tsp ecru in a 1.5gal bath.

ReyPantsDyed.jpgstarwars_7speeder.jpgstar-wars-force-awakens-trailer-2-10-finn-rey-bb8-750x312.jpg

Last edited:
Whiphand, Sintider and Division6, you are amazing! Thank you for
the quick help and pattern!! Crossing fingers for getting this down by Thursday!

Bit of progress on my staff. I got J.J.'s kit assembled and mounted to the staff, and put my first coat of filler on.
12342443_10207683430060109_8143778782295097420_n.jpg
After this pic was taken i sanded and added a second coat of filler. That will get sanded this evening, and then it's on to black coat.

I also completed my sling swivels, with much help from Mira Darkstar
12366200_10207687812089657_7872057899106450156_n.jpg
these need to be weathered, but everything is in place.

Next it will be on to finsh painting and weathering on the staff, and then handle wrappings.

That's fantastic!! Really amazing work. What paints and methods did you use?

Thank you! I did sanding and primer to the individual pieces and then went back with a satin black. After mounting the pieces to the dowel rod I used a combination of grey, tan, dark brown and red paint for a rusty metal look. I also used some flower and powder makeup mixture for sand/dirt. After that I dry brushed silver testers paint for the highlights.

I attached everything to the staff first, and then painted as one.

I did the same for mine. I had to have a few pieces replaced, so it's taking a bit longer than expected.

(PS - Loctite is magic. It works TOO well. My husband and I spent a good portion of last night ripping 3D-printed pieces off of my prop. :unsure)

I did the same for mine. I had to have a few pieces replaced, so it's taking a bit longer than expected.

(PS - Loctite is magic. It works TOO well. My husband and I spent a good portion of last night ripping 3D-printed pieces off of my prop. :unsure)

Oh no! I bought Loctite Superglue. Worked like a charm for the fin that broke off in the mail.

Why are you having to replace pieces? :(

Oh no! I bought Loctite Superglue. Worked like a charm for the fin that broke off in the mail.

Why are you having to replace pieces? :(

Oh! No, sorry. It wasn't well-described. The friend who did the print got the model from a third party. When he went to print the pieces with the low-profile fins, they did not go well. They were very weak and crumbled under light pressure. The model-maker recreated those bits and he printed me replacements.

I had already glued on a few of the pieces (mostly the inner pieces) and had gotten a bit of Loctite on one of the pieces I had to replace. So, after about an hour of working with metal shears, the piece is now off the base. It was a lot of work for something so simple.

But, now all the pieces I have are lovely and structurally-sound!

Ohhh okay :) glad that worked out! The costume gods seem against you but sounds like you're working it out :)

kristenhenry70 - looking good so far!

MiraDarkstar - thank you for the details! It's hard to tell how beat up the staff really is so I may just do weather later. Kinda my lowest priority since I don't even have a shirt sewn yet :p

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Sorry I haven't been on here to thank you. I've had laryngitis for two weeks... So I'm a bit behind. But I think I can finish.

Here are some pictures I took after I got mine. They aren't handy for measuring though - can possibly do that later.

There actually is no leather. The sign about the costume says that, but the boots are vegetarian. The heel material has a strange almost cork feel to it, except smooth. Not sure how to describe it or what else would work to replicate it. Leather would give it that sort of look though.

Hope these might help.

View attachment 562920View attachment 562919

Hey, check these out for the goggles pieces--

http://www.garvinindustries.com/images/itemimages/TOG3164.jpg

They are called toggle bolts and cost under $2 for two of them which have four of the wings, enough to do the goggle sides.

Also for the light on the side, the Dollar Tree sells smaller than normal laser pointers on a key chain which can be removed. It's really awesome because the red laser can be shut off and has a clear light. I don't know if every Dollar Tree will have them, but three of them around me did. They are usually around the cash registers. And hey, they're only $1! Worth a look. I will do a pic post tonight.

Last edited:
Hello all! First time poster here......I just finished reading through all the pages and it has helped me out greatly. I'm looking to do a Rey cosplay for the Star Wars Light Side Half Marathon at Disneyland in mid-January. Some parts of the costume I obviously will be unable to wear and run 13.1 miles in but I want to wear enough for everyone to know who I am. I'm going to start this weekend on all the clothing parts and I'd really like to make her staff. Any tips are greatly appreciated! Is JJ still selling the kits? How bout getting it through the airport :unsure? Thanks again for all the info/help

I'm working on the square canvas belt bag, and I'm confused why a sliding 3 bar buckle is used as the bag closure--seems like it's a huge pain in the butt to thread the webbing in and out just to get into you bag. Am I missing another closure method, or is that it?

Also has anyone identified what that purple bar is?

(I'm talking about the bag on her belt, not the backpack or the messenger bag... Geez, what a bag lady!)

The one buckle is how it is.
They use them on all the old British gear.

Not sure what you are referring to about the purple bar.
The black vertical thing next to the buckle is a US military ALICE clip.

I am really glad to see so many of you enjoying your staff kits :)

Oye. Well, I advise anyone else to attach their staff pieces before doing any painting. Not all, but some of the pieces are so tight fitting that they will not go over the dowel now :facepalm

Buying more paint and dowels tomorrow...yikes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back