Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Eh, I'd prefer to leave it at that as I'd rather not derail the thread with a discussion on ethics/religion/politics...

I ordered green stormtrooper lenses for the goggles today but I'm not sure what material the goggle body is supposed to be wrapped in??

Ah, yeah. I only do because they have so many more options than Michaels. But I usually buy from Michaels, or online, Etsy or Amazon, if I can find what I need...

BTW, where can you order stormtrooper lenses??

So, maybe I missed it (lots of pages) but for those who are using the Palazzo pants, did you keep the color they came in? Or did you dye/fade them?

No worries, I got the parts today in the mail and they look great! Just need to do some cleanup on them and see if just paint will fill in the areas or if I need to go in with a little Apoxy Sculpt.

I'd recommend a very thin coat of bondo spot and glazing putty, OR some Duplicolor 2-in-1 High Build Filler Primer, OR some Smooth-On XTC. Those would probably require less sanding/clean-up than apoxy sculpt in terms of filling the striations. Just remember in the case of the XTC, a little bit goes a long way, so put it on super thin!

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, yeah. I only do because they have so many more options than Michaels. But I usually buy from Michaels, or online, Etsy or Amazon, if I can find what I need...

BTW, where can you order stormtrooper lenses??

I got mine off ebay, from VaderPainter Studios

I'd recommend a very thin coat of bondo spot and glazing putty, OR some Duplicolor 2-in-1 High Build Filler Primer, OR some Smooth-On XTC. Those would probably require less sanding/clean-up than apoxy sculpt in terms of filling the striations. Just remember in the case of the XTC, a little bit goes a long way, so put it on super thin!

- - - Updated - - -

I got mine off ebay, from VaderPainter Studios

There is some sort of acetone pen for smoothing on Amazon. Have you ever tried something like that?

No, but the prints are ABS so acetone will melt them, yes. I have only tried brushing it on straight out of the can and acetone vapor baths, though, never a pen. But it's probably worth a shot, as long as it's not too expensive and you have the extra time to experiment. I'd try it on a discrete section of one of the pieces first, but honestly, the staff looks so beat-up in the film no one would notice one way or another.

While I am on the subject, I do NOT recommend acetone vapor baths for our kits. The method is effective-- almost too effective, in fact. You will loose a lot of the finer surface details and fidelity if you go that route.

Thanks for the suggestions JJ! Sanding is going quickly and I will see if I can't find some filler primer at my hardware store.

Mira, you'd have good luck checking an auto parts store if there's one nearby, likely better odds than a hardware store. Good luck getting everything together by next week - those goggles look terrific!

Bith. lol

Bith.jpg

I just sanded down JJ's kit and it was pretty easy to do. I will hit everything with a primer before the regular paint, but it really is pretty easy to clean-up. I will post a picture once I start painting, but in my opinion sanding is no bid deal.

So that ammo bag I ordered? It got lost in the mail. Two day shipping and it got lost. -sigh- Amazon made it right and I ordered another one, should be here Sunday (it says USPS, but also Sunday? idk). So stressed about it, hoping it won't be a pain to alter down. I finished my belt, or at least as much as I can with the choices I made with it. Two belts, a piece of leather behind them both e6000 down keeps them together near the center for six inches. due to the lengths of them, I couldn't cut them down and do all the fancy weaving with them, so I settled. May remake them later. I also picked up a few leather pieces for my first go round at her bracer. I have to freehand the pattern since my printer isn't working because of course it isn't.

Anyone attempted her hair style yet? The one video floating out there feels like it could use a lot of work. Any makeup suggestions would also be awesome. OH also - what is everyone using for her arm bandages? I found some things, but none of them looked right.

So that ammo bag I ordered? It got lost in the mail. Two day shipping and it got lost. -sigh- Amazon made it right and I ordered another one, should be here Sunday (it says USPS, but also Sunday? idk). So stressed about it, hoping it won't be a pain to alter down. I finished my belt, or at least as much as I can with the choices I made with it. Two belts, a piece of leather behind them both e6000 down keeps them together near the center for six inches. due to the lengths of them, I couldn't cut them down and do all the fancy weaving with them, so I settled. May remake them later. I also picked up a few leather pieces for my first go round at her bracer. I have to freehand the pattern since my printer isn't working because of course it isn't.

Anyone attempted her hair style yet? The one video floating out there feels like it could use a lot of work. Any makeup suggestions would also be awesome. OH also - what is everyone using for her arm bandages? I found some things, but none of them looked right.

Sunday is correct. I was dropping off packages earlier in the year and overheard a postal working explaining that Sundays are dedicated to Amazon deliveries. Go figure! I think they might be defunct were it not for Amazon...and maybe online shopping in general.

Wish me luck...going to try dying my silk...

I wasnt really finding anything here about this...my mom is making my pants tomorrow, and looking at pictures of the C7 display it looks like there's a button on the outer seam of her pant cuff. Has anyone else noticed this? Or do we know what it is and I missed it?

Sunday is correct. I was dropping off packages earlier in the year and overheard a postal working explaining that Sundays are dedicated to Amazon deliveries. Go figure! I think they might be defunct were it not for Amazon...and maybe online shopping in general.

Wish me luck...going to try dying my silk...
oh really? good to know. and good luck! fingers crossed for you.

Thanks! Decided to wait until the pants are made and test with a scrap first. That way the thread will also be dyed. Need to dye my viscose and belt leather too. I have a lot to do.

My bracer/cuff didn't go so well. My lighter leather is too thick. I tried a hack with half and half for each color, which would totally work were it thinner. Dang it! I feel like the colors are off also.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back