Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Nov 2015
    Dec 29, 2015, 10:04 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1251

detenten said: View Post
    I'm probably not going to be able to approach it until after Mardi Gras (Feb 9), but I've seen nothing but good reviews of JJ and his kits, so I'm sure you'll hear from him soon
    OK, thanks! I hope so. :-)
    Dec 29, 2015, 4:22 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1252

So I went to see TFA for the 3rd time and did some closer inspection of Rey' costume. I noticed two things....

1) I think her arm wraps are attached to an undersleeve. In the first scene she shows up, where she drinks from a water canteen, there's a gap in the wraps, but fabric underneath not flesh.

2) Those lovely leg wraps? She only wears them for the first part of the first scene she shows up and then nowhere else in the film. So as much as I love those leg wraps, I'm going to save myself some fabric and not do them.
    Dec 29, 2015, 5:58 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1253

TheLadyNerd said: View Post
    So I went to see TFA for the 3rd time and did some closer inspection of Rey' costume. I noticed two things....

2) Those lovely leg wraps? She only wears them for the first part of the first scene she shows up and then nowhere else in the film. So as much as I love those leg wraps, I'm going to save myself some fabric and not do them.
    I noticed that too. I'm pretty glad, because I was having a heck of a time keeping them up lol.
    Dec 29, 2015, 6:07 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1254

I'm in for Rey, too.

And I was planning on doing a fabric sleeve and sewing the wraps to it with occasional tacks on the inner side. I think something like an underarmor-type sleeve wound work well. Any stretch material with enough grip to stay up. A slight elastic at the top would help, too.

I'm also blowing off the leg wraps.

I was spoiler-free (not even a trailer) going into the film, so I haven't looked at much of anything yet, so much to catch up on with this thread, but I'm all in.

I did purchase the boots, which stung, as they are pricey for a non-shoe person like me, but I couldn't help myself.
  5. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Dec 30, 2015, 4:16 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1255

Just finished a marathon session of reading this thread. I just want to thank everyone for their input and congratulate everyone on their costumes. I only came looking for information on Rey's bag but I ended up getting sucked in reading everything.

My current every day man bag is an Indiana Jones 1942 Mk VII British gas mask bag with leather strap, but it is starting to fray, and while I have a spare, as soon as I saw Rey's bag I knew I had to get one. I'm in the UK so sourcing a Signals bag isn't difficult, and I think I have someone who can stitch it (rather then my poor man-sewing). As an every day bag I don't think it will work on a belt (although I might look into that also, I wish we had an equivalent to Tandy in the UK) so I think I will have to put a strap attachment on each side and re-use the strap from my Indy bag.

Going to see the film for the 3rd time today, this time at the iMax!
    Last edited by Kradlum; Dec 30, 2015 at 4:37 AM. Reason: Spelling!
    Dec 30, 2015, 6:13 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1256

JJ Griffin said: View Post
    My GF's took about four weeks to ship and then another two weeks or so to arrive, IIRC, but we pre-ordered them. They appear to have lots more options "In Stock" now.

And just a reminder.. we have a pair of size 40s that are a bit too big for her feet so if anyone is finding their 37-39 a bit too snug, we're looking to trade down!
    Catching up on this thread and just saw this. I have ordered a 39, but I'm on the fence on if they'll work for me. If, when I get them, they are snug, I'll keep you in mind if this still applies.
  7. Valar Morghulis RPF Premium Member kristen jones's Avatar
    From
    Flint, MI.
    Dec 30, 2015, 12:06 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1257

Kradlum said: View Post
    I'm in the UK so sourcing a Signals bag isn't difficult,
    Hmmm... I wonder if you might consider sourcing one for me, then?

I ended up using one of the smaller "backpacks" from the wwII era web gear because I couldn't find a signals satchel on eBay for less than fifty dollars US! My pouch looks "OK", but I would like to make one from the proper bag and pass mine along to another Rey .

--OR-- if you'd rather not pay someone to alter a Signals satchel, and you like mine, I'd trade you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12376039_10207691807629543_4320339928327949310_n.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	571344
  8. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Dec 30, 2015, 12:39 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1258

kristenhenry70 said: View Post
    Hmmm... I wonder if you might consider sourcing one for me, then?

--OR-- if you'd rather not pay someone to alter a Signals satchel, and you like mine, I'd trade you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12376039_10207691807629543_4320339928327949310_n.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	571344
    I should be able to source one for you. The 2 army surplus stores near my office have closed (one of them was used to source costume bits for the original SW films), but there is another big one on my journey home: http://www.silvermans.co.uk/collecti...nt=10195059587 You can pick and chose your own colour/date/quality If you were going for a Khaki/post-war/supergrade I'd do it as a trade. I'll go to the shop rather than mail order so I can pick the best of the available ones.
  9. Valar Morghulis RPF Premium Member kristen jones's Avatar
    From
    Flint, MI.
    Dec 30, 2015, 1:34 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1259

Sounds good! Thanks
  10. Member Since
    Jan 2015
    Dec 30, 2015, 1:41 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1260

Hey guys, so glad i found this page as those damn bags have been haunting me ever since i saw the trailer. I have a look and you found it to be a British Army Signal Satchel, just with one side lopped off and strap mounts moved etc. Well ive happened to have found a guy who has these same ones in stock for just under 20 ( $30 US) is it simple enough to modify and stitch back into place?

EDIT - Turns out its the same place as someone posted above so pretty certain its the right one!!!
    Last edited by thewizard99; Dec 30, 2015 at 3:03 PM.
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Dec 30, 2015, 3:26 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1261

1) I think her arm wraps are attached to an undersleeve. In the first scene she shows up, where she drinks from a water canteen, there's a gap in the wraps, but fabric underneath not flesh.

I also saw that! I have been wrapping mine, but they eventually slip down. I'm going to add them over compression sleeves (which is probably what it is on screen). I found some at Dick's and Sports Authority, and they're only $20 for both sleeves.

Also, for anyone that's interested in getting through the Rebel Legion approval process, I've been asked to add the lacing on the back of the boots, so just FYI if you haven't added that to some boots sourced elsewhere, you'll need to. I haven't ordered the PoZo boots yet because I have been pouring money into a Kylo Ren build, too.
  12. Member Since
    Jan 2015
    Dec 30, 2015, 3:50 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1262

westarsmith said: View Post
    Ditto.
    Working on this for my granddaughter.
    This thread is great. Here's my progress. Not attempting to be 100%, she's only 6
    WestarsmithAttachment 497481
    Can you tell me where you found those brown part for the goggles? fabricated? Need to know!!! Thanks
    From
    New Orleans, LA
    Dec 30, 2015, 4:16 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1263

So I played with TinkerCAD... which wow, is a great free piece of software!

I was all excited to get it at Shapeways... 8" of printer bed space is $$$! LOL. I cut out the ribbed pieces, since I figure I'd rather wrap the staff in cable anyway.

I'm hoping to print it locally or hear back from a guy I found 3DHubs.

Probably not as accurate as other models, but I like it ^_^ I'm hoping the scale makes sense when it arrives...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/85...ionId=58787888
    Dec 30, 2015, 4:33 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1264

I should be able to source one for you. The 2 army surplus stores near my office have closed (one of them was used to source costume bits for the original SW films), but there is another big one on my journey home: http://www.silvermans.co.uk/collecti...nt=10195059587 You can pick and chose your own colour/date/quality If you were going for a Khaki/post-war/supergrade I'd do it as a trade. I'll go to the shop rather than mail order so I can pick the best of the available ones.
    Nice sourcing! I haven't even started on my bag yet, but if you happen to find another one good for Rey's bag after Kristen Henry, I would be most interested. (Alas, as she pointed out, they're rather expensive to get in the US.)

AtlGurl9225 - My apologies for not replying to your previous post about fabric hunting. I might take you up on that offer soon! I'm going with a friend who's helping me make my costume. But if we can't find decent fabric, I'll shoot you a PM for a fabric hunting date.
  15. Member Since
    Jun 2015
    Dec 30, 2015, 6:49 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1265

I'm happy to print anything for someone making a Rey costume, as a payback for all the help available in this thread! It has saved me so much time in making the costume for my daughter.
    detenten said: View Post
    So I played with TinkerCAD... which wow, is a great free piece of software!

I was all excited to get it at Shapeways... 8" of printer bed space is $$$! LOL. I cut out the ribbed pieces, since I figure I'd rather wrap the staff in cable anyway.

I'm hoping to print it locally or hear back from a guy I found 3DHubs.

Probably not as accurate as other models, but I like it ^_^ I'm hoping the scale makes sense when it arrives...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/85...ionId=58787888
  16. Member Since
    Nov 2014
    Dec 30, 2015, 7:21 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1266

I'm not even halfway through and I love this thread. Thank you all for your research!

I'm working on building a BB-8 and want to dress as Rey to go with it. If everything goes as planned, I'll hide the BB-8 controller in her staff.
    Dec 31, 2015, 6:33 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1267

Nice sourcing! I haven't even started on my bag yet, but if you happen to find another one good for Rey's bag after Kristen Henry, I would be most interested. (Alas, as she pointed out, they're rather expensive to get in the US.)

I'd be in as a third for the bag (depending on cost and shipping) if you can get that many. Looking around now myself, but if it was easy enough to pick up multiples, that would rock!
    Last edited by jackwabbit; Dec 31, 2015 at 7:07 AM.
    From
    Nebraska
    Dec 31, 2015, 8:18 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1268

If you could manage to find one for me as well (after the others, obviously) I would be so grateful!! I've been trying to find something similar in the states, and I haven't had any luck yet.
  19. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Dec 31, 2015, 8:28 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1269

I should be able to run out at lunchtime on Monday and get Kristen's bag, then get to the post office on Tuesday. I have a feeling that the bag + postage will come close to $50 though. I'm not sure on postal costs, it depends greatly on the weight and the service, but I will have a good idea on Tuesday.
  20. Member Since
    Jan 2015
    Dec 31, 2015, 10:06 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1270

If your posting out a bulk post to one person in the US would be cheaper over all rather than to individual people i would have thought.
    From
    New Zealand
    Dec 31, 2015, 10:59 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1271

division 6 said: View Post
    Anyone have or know of a source for "fashion registry" chain in the US ?
    I only need about 6" and don't want to buy 100' from China.

Attachment 530307
    Beadaholique's Ladder Chain is a perfect match, plus it's sold by the foot and comes in a few different colour variations.

Ladder Chain
  22. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    From
    Washington St
    Jan 1, 2016, 5:00 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1272

Kristen How much of a Modification do you have to do to the bags? Looks Great

Happy New Year Everyone

Dan
  23. Jo RPF Premium Member jec0435's Avatar
    From
    Seattle
    Jan 1, 2016, 7:50 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1273

Wow, I'm amazed at how many people have already started making stuff from the film given it just came out. Awesome. I'm a newbie prop maker, but long term tinkerer, and I'm going to give this outfit a go.

Jo from Seattle, nice to meet you all.
  24. Member Since
    Nov 2014
    Jan 1, 2016, 8:52 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1274

JBoman32768 said: View Post
    Didn't mean to hijack the thread - sorry.
    - BB8 builders club: http://bb8builders.club/
    - Pre-flight check video of my BB-8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVqbS0T3vGA

I have started modelling the staff - but this is going to take a while! - I will post it on thingiverse when done.

Cheers,
    J.
    Attachment 568635
    THANK YOU! I've just "joined" the bb-8 builders club on facebook and started my own BB-8 build! I plan on hiding a wii remote to control it in the staff to control it. It would be a huge help to have the staff models to work from.
  25. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Jan 1, 2016, 11:02 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1275

After reading posts and looking at reader made costumes, looks hard to nail the pleats...quilter friend suggested broomstick pleating...or Fortuny pleating..see
    http://www.squaredancesewing.com/tie...ick_skirt.html
    Or
    http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/.../CrushSilk.htm
    Or
    http://costumes.org/wiki/index.php/A...gesFortunyfake
    Or
    http://www.senses-artnouveau.com/int...php?page=scarf
    Last edited by evdooley; Jan 2, 2016 at 12:02 AM. Reason: typo