Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Oi vey...I'm tearing my hair out over here over the fabric. I've been to a few fabric stores around town trying to find the right materials, but coming up empty handed.

Pants - Ordered the raw silk from Dharma Trading, but now hearing from multiple sources that it's too nubby, not the right fabric. So...what fabric is it? I know it's a silk, but...where are you guys getting yours from?

For the pants this is by far the best that I can find. Since it is silkessence it is much cheap. If you have a Jo-Ann's near you stop in the store and check out the grey. It is nearly perfect

http://www.joann.com/sew-classic-silky-solid-silkessence/prd7633.html#q=silkessence&start=1

- - - Updated - - -

Oi vey...I'm tearing my hair out over here over the fabric. I've been to a few fabric stores around town trying to find the right materials, but coming up empty handed.

Pants - Ordered the raw silk from Dharma Trading, but now hearing from multiple sources that it's too nubby, not the right fabric. So...what fabric is it? I know it's a silk, but...where are you guys getting yours from?

For the pants this is by far the best that I can find. Since it is silkessence it is much cheap. If you have a Jo-Ann's near you stop in the store and check out the grey. It is nearly perfect

http://www.joann.com/sew-classic-silky-solid-silkessence/prd7633.html#q=silkessence&start=1

- - - Updated - - -

You could also try sanding it with like a palm or belt sander!

On another note, the raw silk from Dharma is nubby and not very smooth at all. (For my pants, I just used some off-white muslin, then dyed it a bit).

And just throwing this out there, but I think I have maybe 1/2 yd of the knit shirt fabric from Dharma leftover. I'd have to check when I get home, but if anyone would like to take it off my hands, pm me. You really don't need that much fabric for the shirt anyhow.

a 1/2 yard isn't going to be enough to make the henley, though... that's like a 5 'x 1-1/2' strip. maybe if you're more slender even than daisey ridley is....

I bet my 6 year old might be able to fit it. I could use it.

Head wrap shirt confirmed.
ELLE interview.

Michael Kaplan, costume designer for the upcoming Star Wars sequel, The Force Awakens.

I take all my cues from the script. Those cues might be the climate, the economic background of the character, the type of work or action they'll be doing.

Rey is written as a very strong character and it took all the elements that I mentioned earlier, the fact that she's working, doing very hard work in a very hot and dusty climate that might get cold at night. Everything that she's wearing and everything that she's carrying has a reason for being there.

Something I've never said to anybody about the costume is that she wears a head wrap. It's almost like a turban that she has on her head. It's actually a long-sleeve t-shirt that she put over her head and then took the sleeves and wrapped them around. That's the garment that she would carry with her if it got cold at night. Yet, she doesn't want to have to deal with her hair getting all full of sand and dust, so she tied it around her head during the daytime. Everything is dealt with like that.

If you look at the goggles that she wears closely, you can see that the lenses are actually old Storm Trooper eyes; maybe she found them in one of the old starships that she's been scavenging from. Then she's made them into goggles so she doesn't get dust in eyes. Coming up with that just adds ingenuity to her character...plus it's a bit of an inside joke.

Well after about 14+ hours of sewing (over 4 days, mostly by hand) I finally finished the shirt.:eek
Never said I was fast. lol

Your costume looks absolutely amazing, miradarkstar!! Stunning job. :)

Question: what did you use for the arm wraps?

Thank you! For the arm wraps I used the no hurt self sticking bandages and dyed them with grey rit dye. They don't stick very well after doing that so I may use wig tape at the top and bottom when I troop to prevent it from slipping.

Wrap dress - I don't think the viscose fabric from Dharma Trading is right...looking at the swatch and the hi-res pictures of Rey's wrap dress, it just doesn't look like a match. But I haven't been able to find anything close. What is everyone else using?

Undershirt - I did manage to snag the Hemp/Jersey material when it came back in stock on Dharma Trading. Should be getting that in the mail soon.

Wrap dress- So far everything I have read is that people are using the viscose from Dharma. I am just shy of 5'4", so I ordered 5 yards and I think that will work for the full wrap length.

Undershirt- I just got my cotton in from Hemp Traders that division 6 said she ordered. It is the perfect color. I ordered 4 yards because I'm paranoid.

Pants- I went ahead and ordered the silk knit from Dharma: http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/silk-knit-45.html?lnav=fabric_silk.html

The silk and the rest of my supplies have shipped, so I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives.

It's not going to be fun to work with from the description. My mom sews and she used to sew a LOT (she made me a corset for my ren faire costume!) so she was kind enough to agree to work on them next weekend. I bought the pattern someone posted here a while back: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00889RZ62?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 Only $10.75 with free Prime shipping. My mom said all knits should have some stretch, and she thinks that pattern will be ok. I only needed 2 yards plus the silk thread, so that part wasn't too terribly expensive. The dying process will be interesting though...

Belt- I found a tooling leather shoulder at Hobby Lobby for $34.99 and it was 30% off of that. It's a good 4.5' so it should work perfectly for the belt. I will need to dye it however.

I bought silk for my pants, but I bought it in person at a shop called Fabrics and Fabrics in downtown L.A. It's called crepe. It's got a rather smooth texture, but it's still a bit nubby. It's a bit see through. I would suggest if anyone wants to buy silk off the internet get a crepe. Other types that might work--brushed silk, crepe back satin or satin (use the wrong side), silk charmeuse. China silk might work, but it tends to be really thin. It's hard to buy it online and I've never really done that much. I'll have to though to find the shirt fabric. *sigh*

Sorry I don't have any pics yet. I'm not doing well with my camera.

Also, is there anyone out there with the real shoes who might be willing and able to get a clear shot of the back of the boot as I'm making mine by hand? Would it also be possible to get measurements for the leather tabs and the height of the boot? Thank you so much if anyone can do this.

Thanks too for the info about the head wrap!

Also, is there anyone out there with the real shoes who might be willing and able to get a clear shot of the back of the boot as I'm making mine by hand? Would it also be possible to get measurements for the leather tabs and the height of the boot? Thank you so much if anyone can do this.

Thanks too for the info about the head wrap!

Here are some pictures I took after I got mine. They aren't handy for measuring though - can possibly do that later.

There actually is no leather. The sign about the costume says that, but the boots are vegetarian. The heel material has a strange almost cork feel to it, except smooth. Not sure how to describe it or what else would work to replicate it. Leather would give it that sort of look though.

Hope these might help.

File_000 (1).jpegFile_001.jpeg

So I have been looking at this thread for a while now and I finally decided I REALLY want to do this costume however I think I am going to do it in a different color scheme to allow it to complement my skin tone. Do you think people will have an issue with that?

So I have been looking at this thread for a while now and I finally decided I REALLY want to do this costume however I think I am going to do it in a different color scheme to allow it to complement my skin tone. Do you think people will have an issue with that?

It's your costume, do what you want. ;)

Mira, costume looks great.

Stella, I can get you some pix and measurements this evening after work.

Visited the Discovery Times Sq SW: Power Of Costume exhibit yesterday (outstanding). Shot lots of pix, but since no flash is allowed and the place is dark, they're meh. I'll be posting the best here and there. Started a Flickr album I'll be updating all week.

Hope these help.
Rey 1.jpgRey L 1.jpgRey Rt Full.jpgRey Head R Close Up.jpgRey Shoes Closeup.jpg
Ret Rt Arm Closeup.jpg
Rey Rt Glove Closeup.jpg

Last edited:
I did buy those but didn't think they looked right. So I went to one of my local hardware stores and bought a pair of deer skin work gloves to modify. I dyed them with a few different colors and then weathered them with acrylic paint.

View attachment 562993
Wow! That is exactly what i was looking at using for gloves. The deerskin ones. What material did you use for the cutout parts? Those look awesome.

Wow! That is exactly what i was looking at using for gloves. The deerskin ones. What material did you use for the cutout parts? Those look awesome.

I used some duck cloth that I had already from a prior project. And a word of advice, take the gloves fully apart to add the incerts. I did it the other way and it was a pain. lol

My friend finished the staff for me :D He completely built it from scratch and I am impressed by the result. It is scaled to my height.
Tomorrow I will receive it and can I add the fabric wraps and the sling.

Visited the Discovery Times Sq SW: Power Of Costume exhibit yesterday (outstanding). Shot lots of pix, but since no flash is allowed and the place is dark, they're meh. I'll be posting the best here and there. Started a Flickr album I'll be updating all week.

Hope these help.
View attachment 562973View attachment 562974View attachment 562992

Thanks so much for these! Do we know if they're using the screen costume at this display?

The d-ring on the staff attachment is clearly bronze in this exhibit...it's like they're purposely TRYING to mess with our heads!! :wacko

Darkstar - your costume looks great! Awesome work!! Did you just wrap the arms wraps or are you attaching them to a sleeve?

Puck - that staff is amazing. Your friend did a wonderful job!

Thanks so much for these! Do we know if they're using the screen costume at this display?

You're most welcome. Frankly not sure if all the displayed costumes indeed are screen-used or back-up copies. There were numerous Amidala and Prequels costumes that might have been, but not sure about the Ep. 7 stuff.

Started a Flickr album that I'll be adding to throughout the week as the pix are cleaned up.

Closeup of the strap hook:
Rey Strap Hook Closeup.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back