Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

The goggles were made from craft foam, fabric and the clasps are made from clay.
I like the foam idea as a foundation for the goggles, but it seems like the foam would be too flimsy with the light attached. Did you have any issues with the weight of the light attaching to foam?

Last edited by a moderator:
In case you didn't notice.
The Hero goggles at D23 had a large metal washer on the side to help with the weight of the light.
Probably one on the inside as well.

Thanks everyone for your super nice comments!

I used a LED key chain light. It had te right size and I put some worbla over it to make it easier to paint and to get the detail on it.

A Garrison friend is working on the staff for me. I was so happy he offered to make this.
He scaled the staff to my size, because I am bit taller than Daisy Ridley.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb87/Puck_015/12305825_10204872041272018_1947124495_n.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb87/Puck_015/12325127_10204872041152015_1706935504_n.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb87/Puck_015/12305949_10204872041472023_2085121733_n.jpg

This looks great!! What did you/he use for the silver portions? They look really nice.

12325127_10204872041152015_1706935504_n.jpg

Last edited:
If you can't find one easy enough the large pack could easily be made into it, the flap edge is already the correct shape.
I payed extra for one in good condition with no outer markings (some have satchel signals printed on top)

If anyone needs more pictures or measurements let me know.

View attachment 478888

With the current exchange rate it's going to be $40 to get this from Endicotts :( I've spent so much already! I found these three packs on Amazon that could work for the small bag/pouch on her belt.

I think this one might be closest size and flap wise, but might be too green: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052ZBRW8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Then the cheap bag mentioned earlier: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013O579G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2GCQML4KT1OIF

One other option, close to the right shape: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=AUE67479NT0Y8

Not sure what to do unless someone found a source in the US for the signal satchel?

The other smaller pack in the british m37 web gear could work as well, and it's generally cheaper than the signal satchel. it takes more work to be accurate than the signal one, but couls still work

Hmm, guess I'll have to just make a decision...

Found this image. Don't recall it being posted but might help with the people making blasters. It's in one of the TV spots that Han says she's going to need it and hands it to her.

Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 7.19.44 AM.png

i saw that map case one before i got the one i used and i came to the conclusion that it was a little too large.

that gas mask one does look good, a little tall but prob easier to mod it by shortening the bottom than the one i used. Only issue would be getting that stenciling off of it.

Yeah I was hoping I might be able to sand it off and that'll help weather it anyway. If I shorten from the top, I could cut off the flap and flip it inside out actually. That might work. I ordered the hardware online today for the side buckles and the front. Hmm.

What sort of weathering techniques has everyone been using for the bag? I saw sand mentioned. I've never weathered anything before. I did buy Fuller's Earth for the staff and costume though.

I gave up - I found a great canvas material at Hobby Lobby last night. I bought that and a matching strap and matching thread. Will just make it semi-screen accurate from scratch :)

Still curious about the weathering techniques used on the bag though.

Still curious about the weathering techniques used on the bag though.

There are a number of ways to weather canvas. If this were summer, I'd say get it wet and leave it in the sun. After a good day in the back window of your car on a sunny day it will fade out to khaki quite nicely.

Alternatively, try immersing it in a salt water bath and drying it in the dryer... this should sort of bleach it and make it a bit more rugged looking. If you have success with this, you can then "dirty" it up pretty well using acrylic poster paint... just pick some earthy colours and dry brush them on i areas where things typically get soiled.

There are a number of ways to weather canvas. If this were summer, I'd say get it wet and leave it in the sun. After a good day in the back window of your car on a sunny day it will fade out to khaki quite nicely.

Alternatively, try immersing it in a salt water bath and drying it in the dryer... this should sort of bleach it and make it a bit more rugged looking. If you have success with this, you can then "dirty" it up pretty well using acrylic poster paint... just pick some earthy colours and dry brush them on i areas where things typically get soiled.

Awesome, thank you!! I do live in Texas (I'm from Kalamazoo though, so I understand this wouldn't work up in MI!) so I can most likely leave it outside or in the back of my car and still have some success :)

Something I have done several times is lightly spray with paint then put it in the shower and go over it with a scotch pad.

It does 2 things.
1. Knocks down the paint so it's mainly in the grain of the fabric.
2. Ruffs up the surface.

You could also try sanding it with like a palm or belt sander!

On another note, the raw silk from Dharma is nubby and not very smooth at all. (For my pants, I just used some off-white muslin, then dyed it a bit).

And just throwing this out there, but I think I have maybe 1/2 yd of the knit shirt fabric from Dharma leftover. I'd have to check when I get home, but if anyone would like to take it off my hands, pm me. You really don't need that much fabric for the shirt anyhow.

So far, I have most of my fabric and some leather. I am only trying to get the soft parts of the costume done for the premiere, but I've been sick for awhile so I don't know what I'll get done. I just got a camera for my birthday so I'll post some pics of what I have so far.

As for the shoes, I can't afford the real ones, so I've bought some fabric to cover these shoes that I inherited from my grandma who died this summer:
51X8wd+l9qL._UY395_.jpg

I thought the soles looked similar. They are called SAS Walkers and still kind of expensive at $100-$150, but they didn't cost me anything so I thought I'd use them.

Does anyone have any idea what the shape of the head wrap is?

Just a heads up- if you're planning on going to the premiere with the 501st/Rebel Legion, Disney has asked people not to bring anything that looks like a gun. There's been some discussion about it, but I'd check with your local group first.

I don't think that this is come up yet -- my apologies if I missed it, but my friend just shared this interview with Episode 7 costume designer Michael Kaplan (http://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/news/a32073/interview-with-the-force-awakens-costume-designer/) and in it he says that the head wrap is actually a shirt, and I realized that makes it sit perfectly with the waist around the shoulders and the head through the neck hole and the arms are twisted and wrapped around the head.

Now to see if I can remake my headscarf into a shirt! (I borrowed a coworker's sweater this morning and it totally works.)

image.jpeg

I don't think that this is come up yet -- my apologies if I missed it, but my friend just shared this interview with Episode 7 costume designer Michael Kaplan (http://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/news/a32073/interview-with-the-force-awakens-costume-designer/) and in it he says that the head wrap is actually a shirt, and I realized that makes it sit perfectly with the waist around the shoulders and the head through the neck hole and the arms are twisted and wrapped around the head.

Now to see if I can remake my headscarf into a shirt! (I borrowed a coworker's sweater this morning and it totally works.)

View attachment 562184

Yeah, I think some here have been referring to it as a shirt for a while now. Does anyone have any links to good shirts that might work for this purpose?

Oi vey...I'm tearing my hair out over here over the fabric. I've been to a few fabric stores around town trying to find the right materials, but coming up empty handed.

Wrap dress - I don't think the viscose fabric from Dharma Trading is right...looking at the swatch and the hi-res pictures of Rey's wrap dress, it just doesn't look like a match. But I haven't been able to find anything close. What is everyone else using?

Undershirt - I did manage to snag the Hemp/Jersey material when it came back in stock on Dharma Trading. Should be getting that in the mail soon.

Pants - Ordered the raw silk from Dharma Trading, but now hearing from multiple sources that it's too nubby, not the right fabric. So...what fabric is it? I know it's a silk, but...where are you guys getting yours from?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back