Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Awesome. Watched half of it last night. Looks helpful.

So I was thinking it might be fun to bring my Sphero BB-8 to the premiere as an accessory. And then I realized I have no bag as a purse planned out. So I may make the canvas bag so I have a purse. But I was browsing yesterday online and I found this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81on6ZFM9sL._UY879_.jpg

So, I bought it :) That might do the trick if I don't make a bag!

I was looking at the small carry on luggage with BB-8 as a potential costume carry case.
IIRC Target had it on sale for $25 last night. (got off work at midnight and saw it in passing)
link

Then there is this one from the Disney Store
link

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at the small carry on luggage with BB-8 as a potential costume carry case.
IIRC Target had it on sale for $25 last night. (got off work at midnight and saw it in passing)
link

Then there is this one from the Disney Store
link

Oh I noticed that Target one yesterday. But that Disney one is super cute! That's a great idea for carrying it.

My leather punch and leather is arriving today. Might have something to show for the cuff/bracer and the staff clips by Monday. The staff parts arrived (thanks JJ!) but haven't gotten to working on it. Made a trip to Home Depot for the pieces to assemble it on Wednesday. Hopefully can work on that this weekend too. So much to do!

Looking at some alternative sources for the hemp cotton jersey. Might even modify an existing shirt if I can find one. Time is running out! Less than 3 weeks left! Can't believe it.

Like everything, I'm making it up as I go.:lol

Scaled it out to only needing a little over 2", think I did about 3 after ironing it out. (looks a bit sloppy but once weathered should be alright)
Only took about 4-5 hours with a machine.
Mark, fold, pin, sew, fold, pin, sew, repeat.....
Space between pleats is 3/8"

On my monitor it looks grey even though it's listed as beige.

Alrighty, I'm ordering the raw silk fabric from Dharma Trading for the pants today. Alas, the undershirt fabric (hemp & jersey cotton) is sold out but expected to be back in soon. So I'll hold off on that.

Question: Does anyone know what the top of Rey's pants look like? I'm currently trying to figure out what kind of waistband to do.

Do we think the raw silk is the best silk option for the pants? I'm reading mostly people mentioning the raw but one person said it was too nubby. Any thoughts from someone who ordered it?

--------

Division 6 - Nice work! Can't wait to see it!

It is a beige with grey for sure. I just went ahead and ordered what you did!

Last edited:
The Master pieces for my GF's Rey staff (and the eventual resin kits) arrived today. I went ahead and hit them with some primer, then some matte black enamel.

EOtI6k2.jpg

The pieces themselves have a really nice, slightly gritty texture to them that I think lends them a more screen-accurate look than being completely smooth.

iunUW3T.jpg

I plan to hand-weather the staff before applying a sandy wash followed by some Fuller's earth to complete the beaten-up look of the hero staff.

I know the staff wraps are simply medical gauze, but what are people using for the leather attachments for the D-rings/sling strap and where are you all getting it from~?

I know the staff wraps are simply medical gauze, but what are people using for the leather attachments for the D-rings/sling strap and where are you all getting it from~?

I bought a leather scrap bag by Realeather that had a lot of black pieces at Hobby Lobby. I also bought silver snaps, d-rings, rivets, and a leather punch. I wouldn't know where to start looking as it doesn't look like anything else I've seen personally, so I'm just going to make these myself. If it turns out to be pretty easy, I might sell them in my Etsy shop. Not totally sure what the rules here are and if I'd need a premium account to let people know where to buy or that it would need to go through here or what. But that's for another day...don't have enough time for that yet! Would love to hear what everyone else is doing too.

There's some conflicting opinions on whether the d-rings are black or silver. Had anyone seen the costume in person?

lighting makes really hard to tell.
Originally I thought they where black, then I wasn't sure due to highlighting but the pix on the Fathead site show they are black.

The raw silk from Dharma is slightly nubby after being washed. I'm going to use it anyway and just change them later for different silk since I already have it.

The material from what I can tell should be sturdier than standard silk, but still thin enough to be comfortable and breathable.

The reference image in this thread says silver. I bought silver but can exchange for gunmetal. They look black, but it seems like they might just be catching a reflection. Not sure. If they're black, then the staff has silver, bronze and black pieces to it! That's a lot of metal mixing.

I think I might order a different silk then. Don't want nubbiness :(

Forgive my ignorance, but what does nubby mean (when it comes to fabric)? Oh dear...I only have limited funds to spend on this costume. I really hope I didn't buy the wrong fabric. :(

Forgive my ignorance, but what does nubby mean (when it comes to fabric)? Oh dear...I only have limited funds to spend on this costume. I really hope I didn't buy the wrong fabric. :(

The "nubby" fabric has a texture that has rougher nubs or bumps raised on it. Where as the silk pants we see in photos are smooth.

I bought some simple black belt leather from my local fabric store for the leather attachments. I cut strips down making them a little uneven to give them a "scrap look". To clarify the edges are uneven, not the length, that obviously needs to be the same to wrap around the staff. I attached snaps and weathered the leather, which I actually might need to do a bit more of, judging by reference pictures. I haven't attached the middle leather with rivets yet because I'm waiting on my D-rings to show up.

rey strap2.jpgrey strap1.jpgrey strap.jpg

Got the placket sewn onto the top. (watched that video a second time)
Did the initial part with the machine than all the visible parts by hand.
If done by machine it only takes a few minutes, it's actually pretty easy.
By hand takes a few hours. (at least for me) :p

I am super proud how this turned out. Sure it is not perfect (the goggles are a bit too large) but still, I am happy and proud. Made it all from scratch, except the boots. The goggles were made from craft foam, fabric and the clasps are made from clay.
I did order the gloves and they will arrive this week. Then I need to alter them and paint them.
Hopefully I can also make the backpack and shoulderpad before the release. Would be cool.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back