Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Nice progress.

The shoulder pad is attached to the pack strap with a loop of green webbing.
Same as the webbing that goes through it.
There is a buckle on the strap that goes around the arm.

Hmmm... I wonder what i could use these for...?

12208768_10207521338487921_6667839889308471021_n.jpg

Division6.... what do you reckon the front of the goggles is made of? Is that pig skin with the lenses stitched to it from behind, or do you think it's something stiffer like the rawhide chew toys you buy for dogs? i'm going to start on the goggles soon, now that i have the lenses, and I imagine I'll want to start with mounting the lenses into whatever that is the front is made of. Just interested in your thoughts.

I'm guessing the lenses were taken from old Stormtrooper helmets from original trilogy. She prolly scavenged them off an old helmet and made her own visor. The old trooper lenses were green from what I'm told.

Rey13.jpg

Last edited:
The goggle front looks like leather or something as sturdy as leather to me, but still flexible enough and soft enough to stitch through it. The rigidness is from the padding in the back to make them fitted to the face and to keep sand out of the eyes. I saw somewhere online where someone was mounting the bubble lenses to the base of a pair of work goggles that you see in a lab, the shape does kind of resemble that, so it may work as a base with some modifications.

As far as I can tell the goggles are pig skin. (I'll double check when I get home this afternoon)

The green lenses are from OT stormtroopers.

Behind the leather looks like wool felt then fabric behind that, possibly the same material as the shoulder pad.

OK. I got the ST bubble lenses today, so I'm wanting to get to work on this. I did notice that the "reference" pics just a few posts above this show goggles that don't appear to have as many layers to them as the ones we saw in the Celebration display. It's making it very tricky with all of the variations we're seeing in displays lately. LOL.

CELEBRATION:
1VrwMVE.jpg

"Reference" from a few posts ago:

Rey13a.jpg

In the first pic it looks like you can see the rather jagged material shown in the second photo, only with yet another layer on top of it (in the first pic) whereas in the second pic it's just the jagged layer (jagged around the eyeholes) but without the "pigskin" additional layer over top.

Confusing...

Last edited:
if you zoom in close to both pictures, you can tell they are not exactly the same. its likely that the second were either an extra pair used or that one pair were made strictly as a display piece. they are very similar, but if you look at the stitches, you can see differences, as well as in the cut of the leather around the lenses. Also, I noticed in the Celebration image that there are straps just above the lens on the right in the picture left side of goggles when worn.

There are little grey tabs the go from behind the outer skin, over the edge of the wool to the back.
You can see it's a sheet of leather behind the wool.
You can also see an orange / red fabric the in some pix looks a lot like the material used for the shoulder pad.

Goggles.jpg

Kristen,
I used a sheet worbla cut to shape, punched holes for stitching, then covered it with white deerskin leather.
It stitched easy and then rubbed pastels into the leather for weathering,
Westarsmith

prostreetnotch -- your plan for the arm wraps looks fabulous!! What width gauze are you using here? Gotta buy me some..

I think the width was about 2 or 3 inches.

- - - Updated - - -

Great idea! Any pics of the finished product?

So far so good on the 3D printed staff parts... they fit snugly onto a 1" poplar dowel from my local Lowe's :)

View attachment 555777

This looks great! I am jealous!!! :)

here is a pic of the two longarm stretch shirts.

of course the darker one is the better choice!!

the belt isn´t that bad for the staff, but i just ordered the right material yesterday!

- - - Updated - - -

a friend of mine is doing the other leather parts for me! :) hope to get them soon. so pics to that later!

Last edited:
Nice progress.

The shoulder pad is attached to the pack strap with a loop of green webbing.
Same as the webbing that goes through it.
There is a buckle on the strap that goes around the arm.

Thanks a lot! I totally missed that detail that it is attached to the pack.

that's looking very nice! How did you do the belt?

Thank you!

For the belt I started with the pattern posted by Division6 in this thread.
I did change the dimensions a bit to fit me a bit better. But I was so happy with his pattern as a starting point.
First I made two test versions out of paper, then one out of fabric and one out of some fake (thin) leather I had still lying around.
When I was fully satisfied I made it out of the actual leather.
The only thing I would do different next time is add a slight curve to the belt instead of a straight line.

Here are two close ups of the belt

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back