Subscribe
    From
    Central Ca
    Apr 26, 2015, 10:01 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #76

So was anyone at C7 to see the costume first hand?
    My question is this, is the belt pouch yellow as it appears in the colored lighting or green as it appears in the screen caps.

I'm helping someone with is and want to get it right.
    From
    Central Ca
    Apr 26, 2015, 2:33 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #77

Found a few more pix from the exhibit.
    link
    From
    Central Ca
    Apr 26, 2015, 5:17 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #78

Found enough pix to scale out the pouch using the ALICE clip as my ruler. (3 5/16"L x 3/8"W)
    Pouch is about 8"H x7.5"W x 2"D.
    Side webbing with loops is 1"W x 1.75"H

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reys pouch.jpg 
Views:	3893 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	469652
    From
    Melbourne/Los Angeles
    Apr 27, 2015, 12:44 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #79

division 6 said: View Post
    So was anyone at C7 to see the costume first hand?
    My question is this, is the belt pouch yellow as it appears in the colored lighting or green as it appears in the screen caps.

I'm helping someone with is and want to get it right.
    It looks somewhere between the two, like British Army canvas tan (bottom right):

Name:	HS004 MULTI 1.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	469885
    It's a kind of "fresh straw" colour.
  5. Member Since
    Apr 2015
    Apr 28, 2015, 7:00 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #80

I was wondering if everyone here posting so far was planning on just drafting sone patterns to use for her tunic and pants, or if they will be finding a pattern that looks the part. I personally need to find a pattern since I don't have much experience with making my own. This whole project will test my meager sewing abilities, so I am absorbing as much info from the more knowledgeable people out there.
  6. Member Since
    Apr 2015
    Apr 29, 2015, 7:55 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #81

A friend just shared an image on facebook of Rey. It shows her under tunic at the top a little better, just wish it were higher resolution. Though it does look like to me that the neck might have small buttons. Thoughts?

Name:	tumblr_nnio82DcmT1tdfi16o1_1280.jpg 
Views:	158932 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	471008
  7. Valar Morghulis RPF Premium Member kristen jones's Avatar
    From
    Flint, MI.
    Apr 29, 2015, 10:09 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #82

It looks like a Henley with the sleeves trimmed off. Milla Jovovich wore something similar in the outfit for Resident Evil Extinction
  8. Member Since
    Apr 2015
    Apr 29, 2015, 8:27 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #83

I have a few tops like it but couldn't remember what they were called.

It does look henley style, so that may be where I look for patterns to have it sewn. I noticed in a couple of the high res side shots that the stitching looks hand done, not perfect like a machine.
  9. Valar Morghulis RPF Premium Member kristen jones's Avatar
    From
    Flint, MI.
    Apr 30, 2015, 2:44 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #84

That was probably on purpose. Given that she's a scavenger it seems to follow that she may have had to make or repair her own clothing several times.
    From
    Central Ca
    Apr 30, 2015, 7:35 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #85

I put this together for the head piece range finder thingy.
    The arm assembly is from a "third hand" with the wing nut replaced with a Allen head screw, the area between the plates was filled in to make the molding and casting easier and stronger.
    The cylinder rings where made with tape, probably liner tape (you can see where they are misaligned and where the tape ends)

It would be really easy to install a LED in it of if you are feeling dangerous a laser.

Name:	range finder.jpg 
Views:	829 
Size:	655.4 KB 
ID:	471607

It looks like the material used on the face of the goggles is leather, looks like pig skin by the texture.

I've been looking at shoes trying to find something similar.
    It looks almost like they took slippers and added the upper part and glued on the sole.
    I've tried looking for the soles and treads to figure out the make but as of yet nothing has come up.
    The pattern looks familiar but I can't place it.
  11. Member Since
    Apr 2015
    May 1, 2015, 7:37 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #86

I think I may have figured out what the pieces on the goggles are. Latch action toggle clamps. I saw a clamp on the fire extinguisher at work last night and it got me searching.

Name:	latch-action-toggle-clamps-700-large.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	471777

A google search found them available in a variety of sizes from different sites. Obviously we don't need most of the mechanism, but that square latch u-bolt might be perfect.
  12. Member Since
    Apr 2015
    May 1, 2015, 11:32 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #87

Here is my gallery of images from he display at CVII. http://imgur.com/a/dlT0Y and the info from the display card about the costume is:

The costume info is:

Wrap Dress - Viscose
    Head Wrap - Cotton
    Top - Hemp and Cotton Jersey
    Trousers - Silk
    Backpack - Leather
    Wrist Cuff and Belt - Leather
    Pouch - Canvas
    Arm Wraps - Cotton
    Gloves - Leather
    Boots - Wool and Leather
    Staff - 3D Print

Hope that helps.
    From
    Central Ca
    May 2, 2015, 5:20 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #88

Great shots, they show lot's of detail.
    Thanks for sharing.
  14. Valar Morghulis RPF Premium Member kristen jones's Avatar
    From
    Flint, MI.
    May 2, 2015, 9:39 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #89

These just showed up in the mail today. I'm pretty sure I can do something crafty with them... ;-)

Once I work out what the sole on Rey's is like I reckon I can replicate it with EVA foam and use contact cement to fasten it to the bottom of these.

After that, I'll work on finding a match to the suede on the heel portion so that I can add the strip up the back seam and add the tie loops on the sides.

Then it will just be a matter of cutting the shafts down to the proper height and I should have a pretty good pair of Rey boots going on.

Name:	20150502_102010.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	3.94 MB 
ID:	472195
    May 2, 2015, 10:45 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #90

kristenhenry70 - I'll be SUPER curious to follow your progress on the shoes. I've been debating whether to buy one on Ebay or not. But I want to try to get them as close as possible, soooo...I'm going to wait and see how others do their shoes first. (Btw, did you see the photo a few posts ago that showed the back of the shoe? Looked like some sort of bungee cord-like gathering in the back.

DlarianFerrel - Definitely a Henley type collar. I'd be tempted to find the right-coloured henley top and alter it, but I doubt there's one in the right fabric. Most henley's are plain cotton or cotton with ribbing. I also like the idea of the stitching being hand-done (even though part of me wants to do it on machine to keep the seams reinforced and strong). That way if the stitching isn't just right and perfect, it's actually on character! :P

The big thing I want to know is what the back of her wrap dress looks like. That's the main missing piece. Well, if nothing comes up in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to do what I did with Quorra from Tron Legacy and draw a turnaround of Rey's costume for a sort of unofficial guide.
  16. Valar Morghulis RPF Premium Member kristen jones's Avatar
    From
    Flint, MI.
    May 2, 2015, 11:49 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #91

Yes.. it looked like they added pigskin loops to the sides of the boots and then used cord laced through those loops and also through a pigskin strip up the back seam of the boots to hold them closed. Once I find some suede which matches the heel caps on these boots well enough I'll be adding those details to these boots.

I'll be sure to keep you posted. I think a HUGE part of the look of these boots overall is going to be in getting them dirty and destroyed LOL
  17. Member Since
    Apr 2015
    May 2, 2015, 8:31 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #92

I was told that while its henley style, there aren't buttons. That area is hard to make out to be sure what is going on, but the source guaranteed that there are no buttons.

I need to get theboots so I can start tinkering. Oddly, the leather bits will probably be easiest for me, next to making it dirty.
    From
    Central Ca
    May 3, 2015, 2:39 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #93

I did some minor fiddling with the dodge (lighten) and burn (darken) tools in photo shop on the picture in post #81 and it looks like there is something woven on the top.
    From
    Greensboro
    May 3, 2015, 3:02 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #94

I would be willing to try and model the pike however I do not have access to a 3D printer and don't have to pay the ridiculous amounts that most 3D printing places charge. Would anyone be willing to work out a trade? My workhours and file (supposing I can find the time) for your 3D printer? More then happy to pay for 3D printing filament but not quite willing to pay a stupid charge for someone to insert a file and press print

BTW: Damn good show getting all this together! I have been perusing this thread for an hour and it is incredible how much you have all gotten done in such a short amount of time.
    Last edited by Zaan; May 3, 2015 at 3:02 PM. Reason: Mistake
    May 3, 2015, 4:10 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #95

Division 6 - Could you post that? (or a closeup of it?) I'd be curious to see what you speak of.

Zaan - Hm, I have friends who have 3D printers. Not sure how that would work out, buuuut....

Hehe, we're all a bit nuts here (as usual, Division 6 is a master at gathering intel). But we've been lucky that not only have there been some good shots of her costume, but moreso that Rey's costume was at Star Wars Celebration (and with a costume list! SUPER helpful!). It's like they want us to cosplay or something.
    From
    Central Ca
    May 3, 2015, 4:53 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #96

You make me blush.

Sadly the provided image is dark and low res but you get the idea.
    Notice that there are rectangles that lead me to thing it's some sort of ribbon woven in.
    Although it could just be velcro sewn on.

Name:	ribbon.jpg 
Views:	567 
Size:	357.2 KB 
ID:	472642
    From
    Central Ca
    May 3, 2015, 5:07 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #97

If the staff was to be printed I think it would be best if they where individual sections that could be slid over a PVC pipe, preferably one with hidden couplers for break down for easy transport and storage.
    From
    Central Ca
    May 3, 2015, 6:16 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #98

Something else for everyone to look at, the wrist cuff, bracer, what ever you want to call it.

Name:	cuff sm.jpg 
Views:	4569 
Size:	420.2 KB 
ID:	472681
  24. JJ Griffin is offline JJ Griffin
    May 4, 2015, 12:21 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #99

division 6 said: View Post
    Something else for everyone to look at, the wrist cuff, bracer, what ever you want to call it.

Name:	cuff sm.jpg 
Views:	4569 
Size:	420.2 KB 
ID:	472681
    Looks scratch-built from leather. Should be pretty cheap to get made since it doesn't have to look very clean/neat.
    From
    Central Ca
    May 4, 2015, 5:54 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #100

Probably take 5 minutes to make.
    Looks like a single piece of leather so all's you would have to do is cut the shape and a few slits and you're done.