Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Bath_Blankets5-900x650.jpg

Like this actually..

Dlarian Ferrel - Did you see the fabric list I posted on Page 1? There was actually a list of the fabrics inside the exhibit case for Rey's costume at Star Wars celebration. As to the specific fabrics, I'm not 100% sure what types of cotton, though Celtic Ruin's Costumes and I have made some educated guesses. I just ordered fabric swatches from Dharma Trading this weekend. I'll post pictures when I get them and see if we can't figure it out. :)

I ordered a swatch of Osnaburg Cotton for the headwrap. It may not be the right one, but it looks to have a similar weave (and the description says it's soft after washing). could be wrong though (as I'm still learning about the different types of cotton). http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/osnaburg-cotton-45-inch.html

I did see the list, I have a copy of it saved. The blanket seemed to have the right texture for the head wraps to me, so I may see if I can find one to get a good picture of to show what it looks like. I planned on getting some swatches too, so I can find out if it is available locally.

More on the boots - from the closeup from this photo post, it looks like they fasten with two straps around the back of the ankle (in about the same place the Ugg "Cardy" boots have buttons, haha)? I wonder if anyone got a shot from the back...

View attachment 465846

Nice closeup on the greeblies on the left shoulder-strap, too! Looks like they might have gone to town on some army disposals supplies for the loops, just like the old days... *weeps quietly*

View attachment 465847

Those loops don't look quite like mil-surp to me, just some canvas or cotton webbing sewn onto a backing to form loops. In fact, I have a belt that came with a pair of shorts that looks almost exactly like those loops, they're a simple web belt go through 2 metal D rings and hold closed with friction. I don't know if this style of belt is sold separately anywhere but it should be easy enough to find the webbing. In fact, here's some at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Yard-Cotton-W...qid=1429556713&sr=8-4&keywords=cotton+webbing the weave looks to be about the same and the color is very close, just needs a little dye and/or weathering to match.

Here's a side by side comparison.
61FKSl9p-ML._SL1000__zpsbxyzeqkn.jpg

rey-star-wars-force-awakens-build-open-everyone-screen-shot-2015-04-18-12-12-32-pm-png-465847d1429323191_zpss7kbmjbl.png

Ahh, should have clarified - British army disposals, not US ;)

britishpouch.jpg

Wouldn't surprise me - since she's a scavenger - if they hacked up some British surplus to save on weathering new webbing. It's a very dense cotton canvas (a bit like yoga straps), and looks the right width for those loops:

Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 9.15.58 am.png IMG_5592690asgelhr.jpg

The good news is these are like $10 max, and I'm thinking the rest of the fabric could be repurposed for Rey's belt pouch.

(As you can see I'm really focusing on the most important bit of the costume)

Last edited:
I'm not an expert in women's boots, ugg or not uggs, but It does look like you could modify uggs to work... Here you all go, my pics.....you can thank me later:D
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Well, definetly not UGGs... I would love to find a sole with the same pattern, although it looks familiar...
I was just saying to a friend that it looks like cork pinboard material :lol Could be a textured rubber?

- - - Updated - - -

You are an absolute superstar!!

You are an absolute superstar!! [/Quote]
Ok, now you did it!.... Just because you Rock!!! My grand finale. Enjoy! Can't wait to see some of the costumes that come out for Rey... May the Force be with you! ... Always...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting to think that they might have commissioned Ugg's to make shoes for the movie? Ya know movie companies do that, right? ;)

Cause they're dead on, just another type of material with the logo removed off the leather heel and a different sole.
shopping

Not all the time. Costume designers source fabric and pieces from all over. Take for instance Ngila Dickson, the costume designer from LotR; she flew from NZ to the UK to source fabric/notions. And she ordered from the US. Many designers do this.

Regardless...they might not be, but just a though!

I have seen that for fabrics, but I always hear about the boots/shoes being a knock-off/cheap replica, they bought locally. That's just my 0.02$

I'm starting to think that they might have commissioned Ugg's to make shoes for the movie? Ya know movie companies do that, right? ;)

Cause they're dead on, just another type of material with the logo removed off the leather heel and a different sole.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...v1LUhWuSj64tc61X0A0MsI4_vzEO-k5Ts9BG&usqp=CAY

Even if they didn't use the Ugg Cardy boots shown here I think--as you've said--they are the best place to begin. One would have to cut them down (easy) and add a suede strip up the back seam (a little harder matching the suede) and add some suede loops to the sides because the boots lace closed in the rear. But I think the Ugg Cardy boots are prolly the best ones to use for most of us.

Now.... Grey or Tan? I say tan... and make them REALLY dirty.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back