Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Ugh, this thread is so fabulous. I have been going back and forth on making this for Halloween and the Premiere. I am currently on a VERY VERY tight budget so those fabulous shoes are WAY out of my price range (they are so pretty though!)
Puck : What pants did you buy? I couldn't find your answer.

Does anyone have a good tutorial on how to put the head thing on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello simply! I made my boots with just some craptacular shoes I bought of amazon. There is a brand that looks a lot like the expensive ones and I only paid 15$. They passed legion approval so they must be close enough! :)

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Im using crappy moon boots from walmart that i found at a thrift store, but with fall right around the corner, the boots should be available. Just have to take out the fur.

My niece was just over dropping off leather supplies and pants to be altered.
Once I borrow some tools I can start on the pack.
Still need to get all the metal fittings and supplies for the greeblies.

Since the pants are apparently semi translucent she bought matching leggings to go underneath.(they end at the knee so no altering needed)
We also discussed possibly adding a insert panel in the top front since it looks like there may be a double layer of fabric in front, all the side shots show 2 colors on the top.
The other option is wearing a camisole if needed.

Pretty sure the sleeves are added since there appears to be a seam for it on the side shot of Rey next to the armored beast and BB-8
arm seam.jpg

She also asked if there was any update on the staff parts.

Last edited:
@Division6 I've been told by a reliable source that the sleeves are actually a second layer under a sleeveless tunic. Itmake sense given the way it looks but unfortunately there are no shots to show it better. If only we could ask someone who was putting it on the display at these events. I've even been tempted to email Mr. Abrams and ask for more info.

Interesting.
I guess having 2 shirts would eliminate the need for a front panel or camisole.

Lets hope that more information comes to light when they release the new trailer and all the merchandise next month.

By all means ask you ever you think might be willing to offer information. :thumbsup

Last edited:
But figures come with pictures.

Lots of other items besides toys will be coming out next month.
I've seen 3 pallets of merchandise so far at the store I work at.

What kind dye did you use for your trousers? I've tried Dharma Trading's Ecru dye and it came out too pink, and I'm considering their Safari Grey dye.

Would love to hear any one else who's had luck with dye?

Alexa

Hey everybody! Great thread and great finds! Today I found some time to work on my take of Rey's outfit, after I ordered some things a long time ago...
I started with customizing the white leather gloves by adding the fabric parts.
View attachment 512359
As I work from the little finger towards the thumb, I wondering if anybody found or took a picture where you can see the design of the thumbs. Is there a fabric part shaped like on the climbing gloves or is it a different design?

Furthermore, I dyed a pair of trousers to better match the color of the other fabric I bought.
View attachment 512360
Right now, I think it matches quite well.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Hey Alexa,
I'm sorry that this might not be very helpful, but I used a local German dye:
uploadfromtaptalk1440924413006.jpg
The colour is dark brown. Originally I wanted to use a lighter colour, but this was the only tone available in the local shop. Therefore, I decided to use just a little bit of the powder to achieve a lighter tone. I also dyed it in a basket so that I could easily pull it out when the colour seemed to be right.
uploadfromtaptalk1440924609097.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Hi everyone!

I've been meaning to post an update for a while, but I'm just getting over post Comic-Con depression. ;-)

Though I had to cut a few corners to get this done in time for San Diego Comic-Con (staff is PVC pipe, leather is vinyl pleather), I was relatively happy with how my costume came out, especially the drapey fabrics and garments themselves. The head-wrap (Handwoven Natural Fabric) was absolutely perfect, the pants and shirt definitely had the right look, and the wrap-dress was almost perfect (a little bumpier than I would have liked, but it had that perfect crinkled look once washed).

I've posted a guide to all of the fabrics and garments I ended up using here:
https://www.pinterest.com/ladylexy/becoming-rey-from-the-force-awakens/

My biggest challenge was getting it to be the right color. As you can almost tell from these photos, in the outdoor light, and especially the evening light, what looked like khaki indoors looked unmistakably rose-colored outdoors. And who's ever seen a pink Jedi?? Fortunately most of Comic-Con is indoors, in fluorescent lighting, where it looked spot-on, and it looked fine in pictures. But I'm still trying to re-dye the whole thing, and will let you know how that goes.

My hypothesis is that Dharma's Ecru is still the right color if you start with bright white fabric and don't filter the dye before dying (I also tried Safari Gray and the whole thing came out sage green in indoor light, sigh). But if you too end up buying white fabric and dying it yourself, give yourself plenty of time and fabric to experiment. Taupe/Khaki is apparently an extremely hard color to get right.

Alexa

DSC_9348.jpgDSC_9365.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure the sleeves are added since there appears to be a seam for it on the side shot of Rey next to the armored beast and BB-8
View attachment 521360

She also asked if there was any update on the staff parts.

Question. do you think the material is the same?? I always look at the sleeves and see a slightly different tone, I dont know if its because dye is reacting differently to different weaves of material or my eyes are playing tricks

Yes!!! That is me! (Although that's the exhibit staff, which they let me hold.)

Your costume was incredible... I would love to make that one too but don't know if I have that much dedication. Instead I'm going to try to re-dye mine for the 5th time...

DSC_0036.jpgDSC_0042.jpgDSC_0051.jpg

Hey Rey (Alexa)!! Is this a photo of you and me?? sorry the mask i could hardly see in and not very many people have the staff AND went to SDCC! so excuse me if this is not you! Also Hello!!!

View attachment 522521

Question. do you think the material is the same?? I always look at the sleeves and see a slightly different tone, I dont know if its because dye is reacting differently to different weaves of material or my eyes are playing tricks

Really tough call since finding a picture showing both the main body and the sleeve is hard enough, but then you have to factor in angle to light (shadowing and reflection) and that fact that the sleeves are dirty which will make them darker.

Looking at the behind the scenes screen cap the sleeves look white and the rest of the top looks tan.
But it could just be a trick of the light.

sleeve.jpg

Last edited:
See that's a fantastic shot. It's almost like it's the same material but the dye is different
Look where it cuts into the armpit. It looks so different

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back