Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Luckily Dharma Trading is the go-to for all things SW and Jedi fabrics! They have all of her fabrics:

Hemp/jersey: http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric...52-inch.html?lnav=fabric.html&hc_location=ufi

Viscose: http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric...ch-wide.html?lnav=fabric.html&hc_location=ufi

Full cotton section: http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/cotton/cotton-fabrics.html?hc_location=ufi

Full silk section...and their raw silk is cheap and amazing! Possibly what her pants are?: http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/silk-fabrics.html

Oh yes! I'm so happy this thread exists. I've been eyeing Rey since I saw the first trailer. I may have to drop another cosplay to do hers, but I'm all for that. This outfit looks like it'll work perfectly for Dragon Con's weather so I may do it for that.

Hair - I'm curious too. Even closeups of her, show only the front of her face, so it's nigh impossible to see what's going on in the back. So here's to hoping they'll be nice enough to release more images of Rey for us. (I mean, hey, they already provided a handy fabric list with the costume exhibit! So there's hope!)

Fabric - Thank you Nadine for the amazing links to Dharma! I always get nervous with fabric hunting online as I'm still fairly uneducated past the basics (vs. being able to actually hold it and see it in hand at a store. I'll totally check out Fine Fabrics and Gail K. Fabrics up here in Atlanta, but I have a sneaking suspicion they're not going to have these.).

Though on note to the wrap dress, are there different kinds of viscose? I just did a quick search on the fabric, and it seems to lay like cotton, so I'm curious how best one would get the ripple-y sort of effect going on with dress. Perhaps it's just how the fabric lays? Or...? (I would just be worried about buying say, the Dharma viscose rayon/silk fabric and having it lay flat without the 'wrinkles' (forgive me, I'm lacking in proper terminology) the wrap dress has).

Boots I'm coming the same conclusion as well that her boots are some sort of modified UGG. Thankfully, there appears to be a lot of knock-off brands on Ebay. It'll just be a matter of finding the right shade/fabric. This'll be an adventure as I've never modified shoes before.

Staff - I know it was 3D printed, so I imagine that they did concept art and then rendered it to be printed as one full piece. (Or possibly multiple pieces that could be then assembled together).

Dharma is excellent at swatches! And I know a lot of people go to them for Jedi fabric. Definitely order your self a set of swatches to get a good feel. They are my go-to for any natural fabrics. And they all dye beautifully. They're who I went to for the handwoven cotton for Gandalf! It was a dead on match.

I know it was 3D printed, so I imagine that they did concept art and then rendered it to be printed as one full piece. (Or possibly multiple pieces that could be then assembled together).

I can 100% guarantee you that staff was printed in multiple sections. While you can technically modify certain 3D printers (like a Delta) to have an "infinite" z-axis, even the $100,000 industrial printers would not be able to print something like that in one go. It's definitely multiple parts, and possibly able to be disassembled to make it easier to transport and less likely to be damaged when stored between use.

Also, I'm pretty sure her boots are 100% custom fabricated like everything else we are seeing here. It's the same style as Ugg boots (which are just a brand of sheepskin boots) but I doubt it's an actual Ugg boot, as I don't think LucasFilm's costume department would use such an incredibly popular/obvious accessory for the main character's costume. That said, it's similar enough to an Ugg where I agree that you can just buy a pair of them (or any sheepskin boot) and weather/age them to achieve a reasonable facsimile. :)

GUYS!! As Celtic Ruin's Costumes just pointed out to me, you can order swatches of the fabrics from Dharma! How cool is that?! I'm tempted to start ordering (or maybe leave the ordering to someone else more versed in fabrics?).

JJ Griffin - Duly noted. I will be the first to admit that my knowledge of 3D printing is very limited. I was just getting into it at my job before my car accident last year. So I was learning some of the equipment, but only scratched the surface. It does make much more sense for the staff to have been made in pieces. (Forgive me, I haven't had my morning tea...)

I thought of that too (especially after having worked on Mockingjay Part I and II. Every last costume item was created custom for the films, even down to the boots. So it would make sense that Lucasfilm would do the same. But since not many of us costumers are good with the cobbling front of things, modifying existing UGG boots sounds like the way to go.

Boots I'm coming the same conclusion as well that her boots are some sort of modified UGG. Thankfully, there appears to be a lot of knock-off brands on Ebay. It'll just be a matter of finding the right shade/fabric. This'll be an adventure as I've never modified shoes before.

Looks to be an easy modification as you already would have the leather from the boot, and also the patterns for the wool pieces.

Staff - I know it was 3D printed, so I imagine that they did concept art and then rendered it to be printed as one full piece. (Or possibly multiple pieces that could be then assembled together).

It has the original Darth Maul "short" handle so maybe they also used original moulds or pieces from the PT.

protomaul.gif

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure they bought the cheapest chinese boots they could find over there.

Also, I'm pretty sure her boots are 100% custom fabricated like everything else we are seeing here. It's the same style as Ugg boots (which are just a brand of sheepskin boots) but I doubt it's an actual Ugg boot, as I don't think LucasFilm's costume department would use such an incredibly popular/obvious accessory for the main character's costume. That said, it's similar enough to an Ugg where I agree that you can just buy a pair of them (or any sheepskin boot) and weather/age them to achieve a reasonable facsimile. :)

Pretty sure they bought the cheapest chinese boots they could find over there.

I suppose it's possible, although everything on the rest of the costumes we have seen seems so meticulously fabricated and custom-built-- nothing else looks even remotely "store bought"-- that I really feel like they probably had at least one cordwainer on-crew to fabricate the various footwear. *shrug*

On note to fabrics, I'm wondering some things...

- Could the headwrap be cotton bubble? I can't tell if it's another fabric like it or if it is cotton bubble that's wrapped multiple times as to not be sheer.
- Not sure what kind of cotton the arm wraps are..Hm.
- I just ordered samples for
- 55% Hemp / 45% Cotton Jersey Knit 26"
- Viscose Rayon / Silk Blend - 58"
- Osnaburg Cotton 45"
- Cotton Bubble Gauze 50"
- Quilter's Flannel Double Nap 108"

I'm actually surprised, looking at the leather wrist cuffs that they're not finished with some sort of seamline, just straight-cut (again, forgive me if my terminology is wrong). It'll definitely be simple to do, but again, interesting they chose to go that simpler looking route.

Last edited by a moderator:
On closer inspection I'm wondering whether the boots could even be a felted wool with a leather sole? (There are plenty of these online, too, if you don't feel like felting a pair of booties...!) Something like this:

rubber_sole_felt_wool_boots_brown_natural_woolwalker_11q100-square.jpg

As for the viscose, TheLadyNerd, if it's a fine chiffon/"lining" weight, the crinkly effect would be achieved by gathering and steaming; a little like a Japanese shibori technique but without the dyes: here's a good blog post on shibori pleating. Issey Miyake clothes are a good reference for this, too:

issey-miyake-pleated-black-dress-2.jpg

To get a less considered/symmetrical look, you just get sloppy with your pleating/sewing! :lol
Also, dyeing and thrashing the fabric *after* the pleating would give it the worn look that Rey's tunic has.

More on the boots - from the closeup from this photo post, it looks like they fasten with two straps around the back of the ankle (in about the same place the Ugg "Cardy" boots have buttons, haha)? I wonder if anyone got a shot from the back...

Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 12.09.11 pm.png

Nice closeup on the greeblies on the left shoulder-strap, too! Looks like they might have gone to town on some army disposals supplies for the loops, just like the old days... *weeps quietly*

Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 12.12.32 pm.png

Thanks for starting this thread Lady Nerd. I was thinking of doing the costume for my daughter. In searching around I came across this Hasbro toy for Slave Leia. The Force pike looks somewhat similar to Rey's electrostaff. What do you guys think?

slaveleia_tape.jpg

Also I have 3d Printer so If we can find decent 3d files I can print the staff for you. The closest thing I can find so far is the emperial force pike... which is close but not close enough: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:518633

The staff should not be difficult or expensive to get modeled as every part of it is geometric for the most part (not a whole lot of sculpting necessary, thankfully).

Star-Wars-Celebration-The-Force-Awakens-Props-Costumes-Exhibit-Characters-Models-127.jpg

One of my friends was SUPER kind enough to nab me some closeups of Rey's costume, specifically of the side of the shoes (thanks for the idea, Clembot!) Looks to be some sort of tab fastening...or maybe...y'know, I'm not entirely sure what that fastening is. Ideas?

Closeup of the shoe fabric. Definitely a wool knit. That's going to be interesting to find (and then rough up). :D

I've been scouring the images trying to figure out the fabrics since I want to make this myself, and the head wrap to me looks almost like a light weight blanket. Similar to the ones you are given in a hospital to keep warm. Not much more than a woven sheet. I'll see if I can find an image.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back