Page 2 of 137 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Apr 17, 2015, 10:45 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #26

GUYS!! As Celtic Ruin's Costumes just pointed out to me, you can order swatches of the fabrics from Dharma! How cool is that?! I'm tempted to start ordering (or maybe leave the ordering to someone else more versed in fabrics?).

JJ Griffin - Duly noted. I will be the first to admit that my knowledge of 3D printing is very limited. I was just getting into it at my job before my car accident last year. So I was learning some of the equipment, but only scratched the surface. It does make much more sense for the staff to have been made in pieces. (Forgive me, I haven't had my morning tea...)

I thought of that too (especially after having worked on Mockingjay Part I and II. Every last costume item was created custom for the films, even down to the boots. So it would make sense that Lucasfilm would do the same. But since not many of us costumers are good with the cobbling front of things, modifying existing UGG boots sounds like the way to go.
  2. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    From
    Spain
    Apr 17, 2015, 10:49 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #27

TheLadyNerd said: View Post
    Boots I'm coming the same conclusion as well that her boots are some sort of modified UGG. Thankfully, there appears to be a lot of knock-off brands on Ebay. It'll just be a matter of finding the right shade/fabric. This'll be an adventure as I've never modified shoes before.
    Looks to be an easy modification as you already would have the leather from the boot, and also the patterns for the wool pieces.

TheLadyNerd said: View Post
    Staff - I know it was 3D printed, so I imagine that they did concept art and then rendered it to be printed as one full piece. (Or possibly multiple pieces that could be then assembled together).
    It has the original Darth Maul "short" handle so maybe they also used original moulds or pieces from the PT.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	protomaul.gif 
Views:	328 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	465626

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure they bought the cheapest chinese boots they could find over there.

JJ Griffin said: View Post
    Also, I'm pretty sure her boots are 100% custom fabricated like everything else we are seeing here. It's the same style as Ugg boots (which are just a brand of sheepskin boots) but I doubt it's an actual Ugg boot, as I don't think LucasFilm's costume department would use such an incredibly popular/obvious accessory for the main character's costume. That said, it's similar enough to an Ugg where I agree that you can just buy a pair of them (or any sheepskin boot) and weather/age them to achieve a reasonable facsimile.
  3. JJ Griffin is offline JJ Griffin
    Apr 17, 2015, 10:57 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #28

KaanE said: View Post
    Pretty sure they bought the cheapest chinese boots they could find over there.
    I suppose it's possible, although everything on the rest of the costumes we have seen seems so meticulously fabricated and custom-built-- nothing else looks even remotely "store bought"-- that I really feel like they probably had at least one cordwainer on-crew to fabricate the various footwear. *shrug*
  4. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    From
    Spain
    Apr 17, 2015, 11:08 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #29

What I meant is they bought the chinese boots to use them as a base, not to use them as is.
    Apr 17, 2015, 11:32 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #30

On note to fabrics, I'm wondering some things...

- Could the headwrap be cotton bubble? I can't tell if it's another fabric like it or if it is cotton bubble that's wrapped multiple times as to not be sheer.
    - Not sure what kind of cotton the arm wraps are..Hm.
    - I just ordered samples for
    - 55% Hemp / 45% Cotton Jersey Knit 26"
    - Viscose Rayon / Silk Blend - 58"
    - Osnaburg Cotton 45"
    - Cotton Bubble Gauze 50"
    - Quilter's Flannel Double Nap 108"

I'm actually surprised, looking at the leather wrist cuffs that they're not finished with some sort of seamline, just straight-cut (again, forgive me if my terminology is wrong). It'll definitely be simple to do, but again, interesting they chose to go that simpler looking route.
  6. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    Apr 17, 2015, 11:35 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #31

KaanE said: View Post

It has the original Darth Maul "short" handle so maybe they also used original moulds or pieces from the PT.

Name:	protomaul.gif 
Views:	328 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	465626
    Looks more likely to me like they cannibalized one of the old hasbro maul toys
  7. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    From
    Spain
    Apr 17, 2015, 11:43 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #32

Anakin Starkiller, Makes lots of sense as it has been made in the past, even at the OT with the TIE Bomber.
  8. JJ Griffin is offline JJ Griffin
    Apr 17, 2015, 2:30 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #33

Ah, gotcha.
    From
    Melbourne/Los Angeles
    Apr 17, 2015, 7:05 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #34

On closer inspection I'm wondering whether the boots could even be a felted wool with a leather sole? (There are plenty of these online, too, if you don't feel like felting a pair of booties...!) Something like this:

Name:	rubber_sole_felt_wool_boots_brown_natural_woolwalker_11q100-square.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	465820

As for the viscose, TheLadyNerd, if it's a fine chiffon/"lining" weight, the crinkly effect would be achieved by gathering and steaming; a little like a Japanese shibori technique but without the dyes: here's a good blog post on shibori pleating. Issey Miyake clothes are a good reference for this, too:

Name:	issey-miyake-pleated-black-dress-2.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	465819

To get a less considered/symmetrical look, you just get sloppy with your pleating/sewing!
    Also, dyeing and thrashing the fabric *after* the pleating would give it the worn look that Rey's tunic has.
    From
    Melbourne/Los Angeles
    Apr 17, 2015, 9:14 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #35

More on the boots - from the closeup from this photo post, it looks like they fasten with two straps around the back of the ankle (in about the same place the Ugg "Cardy" boots have buttons, haha)? I wonder if anyone got a shot from the back...

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 12.09.11 pm.png 
Views:	931 
Size:	619.0 KB 
ID:	465846

Nice closeup on the greeblies on the left shoulder-strap, too! Looks like they might have gone to town on some army disposals supplies for the loops, just like the old days... *weeps quietly*

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 12.12.32 pm.png 
Views:	1221 
Size:	878.2 KB 
ID:	465847
  11. Member Since
    Sep 2014
    Apr 18, 2015, 5:47 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #36

Thanks for starting this thread Lady Nerd. I was thinking of doing the costume for my daughter. In searching around I came across this Hasbro toy for Slave Leia. The Force pike looks somewhat similar to Rey's electrostaff. What do you guys think?

Name:	slaveleia_tape.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	466065

Also I have 3d Printer so If we can find decent 3d files I can print the staff for you. The closest thing I can find so far is the emperial force pike... which is close but not close enough: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:518633
  12. JJ Griffin is offline JJ Griffin
    Apr 18, 2015, 5:57 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #37

The staff should not be difficult or expensive to get modeled as every part of it is geometric for the most part (not a whole lot of sculpting necessary, thankfully).

Name:	Star-Wars-Celebration-The-Force-Awakens-Props-Costumes-Exhibit-Characters-Models-127.jpg 
Views:	1170 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	466066
    From
    Melbourne/Los Angeles
    Apr 20, 2015, 5:52 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #38

JJ Griffin said: View Post
    The staff should not be difficult or expensive to get modeled as every part of it is geometric for the most part (not a whole lot of sculpting necessary, thankfully).

Name:	Star-Wars-Celebration-The-Force-Awakens-Props-Costumes-Exhibit-Characters-Models-127.jpg 
Views:	1170 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	466066
    Yep - and the wrapping just looks like cotton (either cheesecloth, calico or bandage) and leather cord!
    Apr 20, 2015, 10:47 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #39

One of my friends was SUPER kind enough to nab me some closeups of Rey's costume, specifically of the side of the shoes (thanks for the idea, Clembot!) Looks to be some sort of tab fastening...or maybe...y'know, I'm not entirely sure what that fastening is. Ideas?

Closeup of the shoe fabric. Definitely a wool knit. That's going to be interesting to find (and then rough up).

15. Member Since
    Apr 2015
    Apr 20, 2015, 10:48 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #40

I've been scouring the images trying to figure out the fabrics since I want to make this myself, and the head wrap to me looks almost like a light weight blanket. Similar to the ones you are given in a hospital to keep warm. Not much more than a woven sheet. I'll see if I can find an image.
  16. Member Since
    Apr 2015
    Apr 20, 2015, 10:54 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #41

Name:	Bath_Blankets5-900x650.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	466828

Like this actually..
    Apr 20, 2015, 11:04 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #42

Dlarian Ferrel - Did you see the fabric list I posted on Page 1? There was actually a list of the fabrics inside the exhibit case for Rey's costume at Star Wars celebration. As to the specific fabrics, I'm not 100% sure what types of cotton, though Celtic Ruin's Costumes and I have made some educated guesses. I just ordered fabric swatches from Dharma Trading this weekend. I'll post pictures when I get them and see if we can't figure it out.

I ordered a swatch of Osnaburg Cotton for the headwrap. It may not be the right one, but it looks to have a similar weave (and the description says it's soft after washing). could be wrong though (as I'm still learning about the different types of cotton). http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/...n-45-inch.html
  18. Member Since
    Apr 2015
    Apr 20, 2015, 11:57 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #43

I did see the list, I have a copy of it saved. The blanket seemed to have the right texture for the head wraps to me, so I may see if I can find one to get a good picture of to show what it looks like. I planned on getting some swatches too, so I can find out if it is available locally.
    From
    Walnut, CA
    Apr 20, 2015, 2:06 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #44

clembot said: View Post
    More on the boots - from the closeup from this photo post, it looks like they fasten with two straps around the back of the ankle (in about the same place the Ugg "Cardy" boots have buttons, haha)? I wonder if anyone got a shot from the back...

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 12.09.11 pm.png 
Views:	931 
Size:	619.0 KB 
ID:	465846

Nice closeup on the greeblies on the left shoulder-strap, too! Looks like they might have gone to town on some army disposals supplies for the loops, just like the old days... *weeps quietly*

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 12.12.32 pm.png 
Views:	1221 
Size:	878.2 KB 
ID:	465847
    Those loops don't look quite like mil-surp to me, just some canvas or cotton webbing sewn onto a backing to form loops. In fact, I have a belt that came with a pair of shorts that looks almost exactly like those loops, they're a simple web belt go through 2 metal D rings and hold closed with friction. I don't know if this style of belt is sold separately anywhere but it should be easy enough to find the webbing. In fact, here's some at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Yard-Cotton-We...cotton+webbing the weave looks to be about the same and the color is very close, just needs a little dye and/or weathering to match.

Here's a side by side comparison.

From
    Melbourne/Los Angeles
    Apr 20, 2015, 5:50 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #45

Ahh, should have clarified - British army disposals, not US

Name:	britishpouch.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	467046

Wouldn't surprise me - since she's a scavenger - if they hacked up some British surplus to save on weathering new webbing. It's a very dense cotton canvas (a bit like yoga straps), and looks the right width for those loops:

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 9.15.58 am.png 
Views:	157 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	467054 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5592690asgelhr.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	467055

The good news is these are like $10 max, and I'm thinking the rest of the fabric could be repurposed for Rey's belt pouch.

(As you can see I'm really focusing on the most important bit of the costume)
    Last edited by clembot; Apr 20, 2015 at 6:19 PM. Reason: added additional images
  21. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    From
    Spain
    Apr 20, 2015, 5:52 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #46

What's it supossed to be?
    From
    Melbourne/Los Angeles
    Apr 20, 2015, 7:09 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #47

Just found some INCREDIBLE detail shots over at Original Prop Blog!

Name:	Star-Wars-Celebration-The-Force-Awakens-Props-Costumes-Exhibit-Characters-Models-125.jpg 
Views:	707 
Size:	927.3 KB 
ID:	467085

Name:	Star-Wars-Celebration-The-Force-Awakens-Props-Costumes-Exhibit-Characters-Models-130.jpg 
Views:	592 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	467090

Name:	Star-Wars-Celebration-The-Force-Awakens-Props-Costumes-Exhibit-Characters-Models-118.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	966.0 KB 
ID:	467092

Name:	Star-Wars-Celebration-The-Force-Awakens-Props-Costumes-Exhibit-Characters-Models-128.jpg 
Views:	687 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	467083

There's loads more on the blog!
    From
    Melbourne/Los Angeles
    Apr 20, 2015, 7:16 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #48

Now we just need someone to ID all the greeblies:

Name:	Star-Wars-Celebration-The-Force-Awakens-Props-Costumes-Exhibit-Characters-Models-117.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	467093
  24. RPF Premium Member MasterEdi's Avatar
    Apr 20, 2015, 10:07 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #49

I'm not an expert in women's boots, ugg or not uggs, but It does look like you could modify uggs to work... Here you all go, my pics.....you can thank me later

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	643 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	467172Click image for larger version. 

Views:	600 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	467173Click image for larger version. 

Views:	956 
ID:	467174Click image for larger version. 

Views:	699 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	467175Click image for larger version. 

Views:	494 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	467176
    From
    Melbourne/Los Angeles
    Apr 21, 2015, 1:14 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #50

MasterEdi said: View Post
    I'm not an expert in women's boots, ugg or not uggs, but It does look like you could modify uggs to work... Here you all go, my pics.....you can thank me later

Views:	643 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	467172Click image for larger version. 

Views:	600 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	467173Click image for larger version. 

Views:	956 
ID:	467174Click image for larger version. 

Views:	699 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	467175Click image for larger version. 

Views:	494 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	467176
    Screw that, I'm thanking you right here and now!! Amazing! I was just about to ask if anyone got a shot of the heel. Incredible!