Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

I just spent the last few days pouring over 105 pages of AWESOME! The work that has been done is simply amazing and will help immensely as I build a Rey for my daughter. I'm going to start with the basic outfit and will build up to "full scavenger" assuming I can pull off the basic.
I've started collecting the fabrics, got some leather for the belt and bracer, contacted (or initiated contact with) JJ about the staff, and I actually have a British WWII para impression that has a large pack for the material to make the satchel out of. I found some taupe palazzo pants on eBay that should serve as a base. She has already seen the PoZu shoes and likes them so will get some of those too.
For the fabrics, I wasn't able to get the viscose from eBay that kristenhenry70 mentioned... does anyone have another option or source?
The leather I got from Tandy should work fine for the bracer. But, now I'm seeing it may be too thin for the belt. Has everybody been using a "belt blanc" to build from?

Thank you all so much to those who blazed the trail on this. Again, your work has been amazing!

Hi Kristenhenry70, I have followed this forum since last year, as I put together my Rey. I don't really know how to post, so I hope this works! Is there any way I can get on your list of the Boots arm wraps from UK? That has been my biggest struggle, wearing my Rey at appearances - the arms loosen up terribly, no matter how snug I start. thanks!

Hi Kristenhenry70, I have followed this forum since last year, as I put together my Rey. I don't really know how to post, so I hope this works! Is there any way I can get on your list of the Boots arm wraps from UK? That has been my biggest struggle, wearing my Rey at appearances - the arms loosen up terribly, no matter how snug I start. thanks!

Unfortunately i was only able to secure 34 sets of the bandages from y connection in UK. So I don't have any more slots available for that. However i did find cotton crepe bandages on ebay which will ship to the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Used a whole bottle of taupe....second time no tan and a whole bottle. I'm going to weather the color away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm... you could do that or you might try to RIt colour remover first to see if you can take out the peach tones and then try to redye.

Unfortunately i was only able to secure 34 sets of the bandages from y connection in UK. So I don't have any more slots available for that. However i did find cotton crepe bandages on ebay which will ship to the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm... you could do that or you might try to RIt colour remover first to see if you can take out the peach tones and then try to redye.

Funny you say that. I went to Joanns in a mad dash last night before they closed. Got that turned the water heater up a bit thinking maybe the temp was an issue. Re dyed with only taupe...after the color remover. It made it a very light kinda khaki...but went with my Fett weathering technique this morning...pics soon. The fabric is drying.

Funny you say that. I went to Joanns in a mad dash last night before they closed. Got that turned the water heater up a bit thinking maybe the temp was an issue. Re dyed with only taupe...after the color remover. It made it a very light kinda khaki...but went with my Fett weathering technique this morning...pics soon. The fabric is drying.

How did the color look right after you used the remover? I wanted to lighten my pants, but didn't know if they would just lighten, or be drastically altered in color.

Did you use the ratio kristenhenry70 posted awhile back?
That's what I started with, then put my test piece in and stirred, and watched, and stirred and watched. I had to add a little more tan, and quite a bit more taupe, and I ended up doing two test pieces because the first came out waaay too tan.

I hope the color turns out for you. Messed up dye is frustrating!

I did. It was looking decent when I left for work. After weathering it...hope to get home and it be just right lol. I didn't go heavy with the weathering so might need to do another pass but it was waaaaaaaaay better looking then yesterday. I've never had much luck with Rit dye.

Still not as dark as id like it to be. But way better then it was Sunday night. Will weather again tomorrow...about as light as I went today so as not to over do it.
2ecfc426520fe63b89f8247ea5c5c392.jpg

Well comparatively it's a bit light compared to the pants. Using the dictionary photos...pants not pictured here are pretty spot on.

Looks good to me, Fett4Real!

I know the ends of the viscose shouldn't be finished, but what about the sides? I split my fabric in half before I dyed it, and the long sides are starting to get a lot of threads that pull the fabric. Also, does the viscose need to be cut down again? My sister was telling me that she thought it looked too wide.

Edit: Ok, I just went answered part of my own question. After looking at my reference pictures again, it appears none of the edges are finished.
Which just leaves my last question. Will merely cutting the fabric in half lengthwise be ok, or do you all think it should be narrower?
I know I really need to get some pics up.

Last edited:
Looks good to me, Fett4Real!

I know the ends of the viscose shouldn't be finished, but what about the sides? I split my fabric in half before I dyed it, and the long sides are starting to get a lot of threads that pull the fabric. Also, does the viscose need to be cut down again? My sister was telling me that she thought it looked too wide.

Edit: Ok, I just went answered part of my own question. After looking at my reference pictures again, it appears none of the edges are finished.
Which just leaves my last question. Will merely cutting the fabric in half lengthwise be ok, or do you all think it should be narrower?
I know I really need to get some pics up.

it totally depends on the size of the model. But you just have to scale it to yourself. My wrap dress is about 24" wide...but I have it gathered down to 5" on the shoulders to get the necessary fullness and pleating.

Went another step darker. It's not dramatic but I think it's where it should be. Or very close. Pants aren't done the wife is working on sewing those and the Henley. I'm working on another belt as this one is a bit to big around and to thin I think.

43060fc0269445adc6eea2b335e67e6c.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back