Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Met some other Reys, friendly Kylos, and even Master Luke at Pax East this past weekend! After walking around with the bag drooping down my leg, my next step is to shorten the lower belt piece. Anyone here with experience cutting and sewing leather who can give tips on what equipment to use?

Here is a small album from the event:

http://imgur.com/a/hPGFv

Met some other Reys, friendly Kylos, and even Master Luke at Pax East this past weekend! After walking around with the bag drooping down my leg, my next step is to shorten the lower belt piece. Anyone here with experience cutting and sewing leather who can give tips on what equipment to use?

Depending on how you've assembled it, it may be as simple as unstitching the buckle end, chopping off some length and re stitching it.

You just need a utility knife with a sharp blade in it to cut leather. If you post a pic showing how yours is done where it connects might be able to give better info on shortening it.

For those who would like Rey's bag but don't want to pay an arm and leg for it. You can search for Rey's bag on Ebay. It's not an exact replica but it's close enough to get away with it after you weather it.

Last edited:
Primalstorm...FYI you aren't allowed to post links to eBay on therpf...unless they are your own in the junkyard...I know it's silly but don't want you getting in trouble with the mods.

I would say tell people to search Rey bag TFA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A small update on the Boots Arm Wrap front:

I've spoken to my contact in UK, and she has ordered a case from the company direct, rather than driving all around trying to gather them up.

As soon as they hit my door, I will be contacting you all on the list for your addresses so I can send you your FREE arm wraps. :thumbsup

NOTE: This is FREE.

ALSO, there is no money involved.

In ADDITION, it's Pro Bono.

In OTHER WORDS: You don't have to pay.

PLUS, it costs nothing.

AND, you get them for less than a song.

Do you think you will be getting these wraps before Motor City? I'm pretty unhappy with what I'm using now :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Here is a small album from the event.

Very Cool how you are handing Luke the light saber. As said You Guys Rock these costumes. Very Cool indeed can't wait for wonderfest going to be fun. Thanks....Jim

Does any have any extra lobster claw clasps to use on the sling to connect to the staff? I have ordered some, but they don't look like they are going to show up in time for the convention I'm going to in 2 weeks :( halp!

dressing the galaxy thing is up on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j04HpWIuB1s

Sweet! Will watch later. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I've spoken to my contact in UK, and she has ordered a case from the company direct, rather than driving all around trying to gather them up.

As soon as they hit my door, I will be contacting you all on the list for your addresses so I can send you your FREE arm wraps. :thumbsup

PLUS, it costs nothing.

(Do you think I shouted that message loud enough...? :lol )

- - - Updated - - -

I may just take the side seams in on my head wrap a bit more in the "neck" area as you've done here. Mine does get a bit bulky there, and it shifts around on my shoulders alot with the backpack straps running over it. I wonder if slimming the "neck" would help on both fronts?

Good show!

SQUEE! Thank you, Kristen!

And as someone who has recently decide to most likely update from regular Rey to full scavenger, thanks for the advice on the head wrap, too, you fine folks!

- - - Updated - - -

I totally recommend that bag! I mean, i made another from scratch...and that's uber cool too. BUT...the Amazon bag was alot less money and effort. LOL

I'm likely going this route, too. Eventually. Because yeah. I want to cut my hair, so full scavenger it will be. ;)

You look great!

And as someone else said, it's easy-peasy to adjust the belt length. I had to do that, too. But once you get it right, the bag sits well. I read somewhere that some folks are putting a hidden piece of Velcro on the back side and then on the hip of their pants to keep it from sliding, but I've had no issues once shortening the belt.

You just trim it with your Exacto knife and pull it through the loops more.

- - - Updated - - -

For those who would like Rey's bag but don't want to pay an arm and leg for it. I found this on Ebay. It's not an exact replica but it's close enough to get away with it after you weather it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REY-SIDE-BA...922693?hash=item210a4fccc5:g:uZMAAOSwFNZWxW9L

This is a great find. Wish I'd have seen it before I made mine! :)

Does any have any extra lobster claw clasps to use on the sling to connect to the staff? I have ordered some, but they don't look like they are going to show up in time for the convention I'm going to in 2 weeks :( halp!

I don't have extra, but if you're in a bind, I *might* be able to get you some from Tandy Leather. Wasn't planning a trip that way in the next little bit (it's about and hour away from me in some pretty nasty traffic, so it takes some doing), but they had some last time I looked. New/shiny, though, and not quite perfect. Depends on how accurate you are going for. Maybe look online? Shipping should be able to get them to you that quickly? Try craft stores? Or even Home Depot and Lowe's will have similar enough clips - might not be screen accurate, but would do in a pinch until you can get some better ones?

PLUS, it costs nothing.

Do you think you will be getting these wraps before Motor City? I'm pretty unhappy with what I'm using now :/

No... Motor City is in about two weeks. I reckon it'd take at least that long to get here from UK.

Primalstorm...FYI you aren't allowed to post links to eBay on therpf...unless they are your own in the junkyard...I know it's silly but don't want you getting in trouble with the mods.

I would say tell people to search Rey bag TFA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for letting me know. I made the change.

Kristen,

Could you please give me the link for the Amazon bag?

Thank you

Lou

here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S9LG22W...e=df0&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B00S9LG22W

- - - Updated - - -

I found mine at Jo Ann believe it or not. They are in the aisle with the snaps, grommets, rivets, etc.

Thanks you everyone for posting this information. It has helped me so much as I created and now am improving my costume. I know I had promised to post patterns as I went along, but I've been having some severe mental health issues since November. They are getting better and perhaps I'll be able to make some more patterns. I also feel super intimidated because everyone's stuff is better than mine is.

I have a few questions that hopefully someone can help me with.

1. The British 1937 satchel is sold out again and is a bit out of my price range considering I saved for the Po-Zu boots. I found a complete Israeli jump/flight harness at my local surplus store that was a decent color and has a ton of buckles and webbing. It's moderately sized, but I think it's possibly too big. Does anyone have the dimensions for the original British satchel?

*Never mind, found this. THANK YOU DIVISION 6!!!!*

2. Does anyone have suggestions for the lenses for Rey's goggles? I made the frames with anti-fatigue foam and am going to use leather to cover it.

3. Do most people still believe that Rey wears two shirts? I have two shirts after the discussion around page 50, but am looking to upgrade and was wondering what the group consensus was on the issue especially after seeing some high res screen caps.

4. This is unrelated to the costume, but I have a large tattoo on my leg that is very colorful and I've had a hard time covering it with some of the makeup I bought from Cinema Secrets. I want to be able to cover it for events with the Rebel Legion/501st, but I need something more than what's suggested on their website. I was thinking of makeup and maybe tights? If you know anything, please PM me so we can keep the thread on topic.

5. Does anyone still need a pattern for the head wrap? It's the one thing I'm very happy with.

6. Anyone started Rey's ending outfit? I really like it and was thinking about trying it.

Thank you so much for your time and help! And please forgive me as I catch up, I left off at page 60 or so and am working backwards. I'm on page 93 now...

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back