Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

While looking through my pix last week I noticed that the top of the boot in front as a seam down the middle.
It can be seen in the pix I linked to.

I threw together a pattern today, took about 6 minutes:). It is 6 1/2" (at the widest point) x 22" long. The small end is 1/2" wide. This fits a 6" wrist. Also, the grain pattern resembles Camel not Cowhide. (sample inbound) Enjoy!
Picture1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work.
Looking forward to seeing what you find.

On a side note I'm seeing more details on my laptop than my PC.
In at least one pic I can see the printing on the top of the signal pouch.:facepalm

I noticed that the wrappings on the legs are hand stitched and spliced at least once, maybe more.
It almost looks like the bottom band and wrappings may be a different material, they looks to have a pattern on them and in a few pix are a different color (could just be the lighting)
Also the wrappings come out of the outside seam on the bottom band.

Trying to figure out the opening on the Henley top.
Open oval but can't make out if it V's in before the button area.

Yeah, it appears to have a ribbon woven through the opening (or velcro tabs)
You can sort of see it in the pic of her cleaning the greeblie.

Oh great...that's going to make things harder (I think). Wonder what kind of ribbon it is.

I'm going to try to find a Henley shirt at Goodwill and take it apart to build a custom patterns. Alas, I haven't found a good pattern for the pants. And I have no idea what to use for the wrap dress (as I think the jury is still out on how exactly it attaches/folds around the belt/etc.)

I think that the part that goes around the belt and over the left shoulder is an add on piece.
It's not present in the basic version of her outfit that starts and ends on the right side and loops on the left.
Might be good to tack the overlaps together to keep everything in place.

I've found a few tutorials on doing the opening for the shirt.
The shirt goes down just below her crotch so it's longer than most Henley shirts out there, more like a mini dress.
For some reason in some pix and at the exhibit it was pulled up in front.

I'm trying to finalize with my original client the price and deadline for the master copy of the staff, and it made me realize I should try to find out what deadline everyone else has for this. I know a few of you have expressed that you need the staff to take to SDCC in July, but unfortunately because of other projects I've already booked I know I won't be able to finish it by then. It looks like the date he's shooting for is Christmas, so please let me know if that potentially being the completion date won't work for you and I'll see what I can rearrange based on interest. So far, people who have PM'd me include (in no particular order):

I would like to get on this list, I am also interested in the staff. I don't post much but I'm always lurking around. My deadline is November.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I was looking at the boots again to get an idea on how to fabricate them or modify another pair to look like them, I came to a crazy idea. What if they are loafers with the top added to make them boots? The bottom back loop sits right where one sits on alot of slide on shoes to help pull them on. Brown leather loafer with an added topper out of a woven fabric lined with what appears to be fleece. The length of leather up the back just looks like the longer leather bit with loop from a taller boot was added to make it appear as though they were always a boot. In some shots, you can see a distinct outline of a loafer style shoe at the ankle. I am going to see if I can find a pair that look similar to try modding since boots are so costly to just have to tear them apart and beat them up.

I've been saying that for a while.
The bottom also looks added on, it's the wrong size with the rest of the shoe.

I've been looking at slippers and shoes trying to find something with the right shape.
That flat toe area is a tough one. most have a more rounded shape.

Men's or boys shoes alot of times have a squareish toe. Also, I'm noticing a lot of British elements, so maybe a British or European maker. I may come up with a suitable close enough for the release, then switch out later.

I agree the bottom looks added on. It doesn't look like any sole I have seen in my searching. It is such an odd design.

I've been general and UK searching of shoes, slippers, flats, ankle boots, booties (don't spell it with a "Y", trust me) and boots. (several other things)
Sole producers.
Nothing close.
Think I've already spent close to 24 hours looking already.

The design of the sole looks really familiar.
Showed it to friend yesterday and he said he saw something like it at Target but I did a search while at work today and didn't find anything.

Found the pic here.
This is probably a better pic.
The rest of the pix are here.

Thank you for those links! I hadn't seen those closeups. But that definitely helps with figuring some things out (I think....I hope. I'm still not well-versed in all things sewing).

Ah, then I think for now I'm going to ignore that third add-on piece (as right now, I'm just doing Rey's basic look, no headgear). I figure with the undershirt, it'd be easy enough to just add a few inches to the bottom of a pattern to make it longer. Yesterday afternoon I looked at Henley's at the local Goodwill, but didn't see any quite like her particular top. (Some Henley's come up higher, some lower, none seem to have that one side laid flat like hers appears to be. Hm....)

I was hoping to have this done for Dragoncon so I could have just one new costume for the year (and something comfy to wear to the con), but alas, I'm starting to resign myself to the fact that may not happen.

Keep up the awesome research with the shoes, Dlarian Ferrel! I can't even begin to think through the shoes, so I'm following your and Division 6's lead. :)

Division 6 - could you link to those tutorials you said you found for the opening of Reys undershirt?

I'm looking at the speeder bike pix from the Vanity Fair shoot, the shoe/slipper appears to be separating from the sole on the side.
The sole also has an inset on the bottom.

Boot looks dk brown with grey leather heel and strapping.

I found a pattern for sleepwear at walmart that I'm going to have a go at for the top and possibly the pants. Though with the tunic looking like 2 separate pieces, I may have to alter my thought process for it. But the shirt pattern has the right neckline and the top has a tunic length available. On the plus side I only paid 2 bucks for it, and it will work for comfy clothes if nothing else.

Pattern A1187 by It's So Easy - It's Simplicity

I believe they are meant to be a starter pattern and for the price you can't beat it.

I decided to just get some plain jersey material today for a temporary space holder until Dharma has the right one back in stock. I also found a pair of dark brown suede moon boot looking things that I can make look similar enough for the release until I can get more images to make a better boot. I will start a WIP thread in a few days once I figure out where I'm starting with things since I have most of the materials I need now to start. Though I'm worried about the raw silk I got for the pants. While, very nice, the texture seems off compared to the pictures of her pants. I'll see if its a problem later, I really don't want to have to buy more silk.

@ryanoh I'm hoping to have my costume done by the premiere, so maybe end of November/early December for the staff run?

On a different note: goggles. They look like they might be scavenged from an old Stormtrooper helmet and I'm not sure yet how to go about achieving that look. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I'm a new poster but have been following for a while as I've been seeking out the right fabrics all over San Francisco and Dharma Trading. I got my fabrics yesterday and here's what I like so far:

The Handwoven Natural Fabric looks SO incredibly close to the head-wrap after washing! I absolutely recommend it, it drapes perfectly and everything. I studied the super duper high res detail shots someone posted on Flickr from the costume display and the weave looks really right to me:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/cotton/handwoven-natural-fabric-55-inch.html

The wrap dress still has me stumped. I bought the Bubble Gauze from Dharma because the swatch looked so perfect but it is a lot fluffier than I expected. Here's what it looks like when you try to gather it into ripples, as shown in the attached photo. But in photos it looks much more flowy and drapey and thin, almost like a chiffon only crinkled. Anyone else having luck finding the right fabric for this?

FullSizeRender 8.jpg

Also wondering about how you all plan to dye white fabrics? I got Taupe RIT but thinking it looks too dark.

Thanks for letting a n00b like me join in!

Alexa

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back