Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

I'm trying to finalize with my original client the price and deadline for the master copy of the staff, and it made me realize I should try to find out what deadline everyone else has for this. I know a few of you have expressed that you need the staff to take to SDCC in July, but unfortunately because of other projects I've already booked I know I won't be able to finish it by then. It looks like the date he's shooting for is Christmas, so please let me know if that potentially being the completion date won't work for you and I'll see what I can rearrange based on interest. So far, people who have PM'd me include (in no particular order):

Last edited by a moderator:
I got some of the osnaburg material at Walmart today. Only $3 a yard! Most of the time if they don't have it, the department manager can order it in for you. If anyone needs the UPC to give the manager, just let me know.

I'm trying to finalize with my original client the price and deadline for the master copy of the staff, and it made me realize I should try to find out what deadline everyone else has for this. I know a few of you have expressed that you need the staff to take to SDCC in July, but unfortunately because of other projects I've already booked I know I won't be able to finish it by then. It looks like the date he's shooting for is Christmas, so please let me know if that potentially being the completion date won't work for you and I'll see what I can rearrange based on interest. So far, people who have PM'd me include (in no particular order):

If you think you can get it done and shipped before opening day put me on the list.

I could definitely wait longer as I'm planning to have my costume ready in time for the premiere. So fall/x-mas *could* work... as long as I had it before the premiere.

Hmm...deadline is a good question. Definitely for the premiere. I was going to message to see if by end of August (for Dragoncon) would be possible as I hope to have the costume done then (and the staff is a major part for me personally, as due to injuries from a car accident last year, I might need to have the aid of a walking stick (aka the staff). But if that's too early, no worries at all. I've got some prop people around here I can talk to. :)

October or November would work for me as well, honestly anytime after DragonCon would work for me.

Emily over at The Stylish Geek is doing a really nice looking staff so far. I'm tempted to private message her and ask her cost of parts (as little ol' me is a on a budget...). https://www.facebook.com/thestylishgeek?fref=ts

If the staff is light, I'm considering putting some sort of weight on the bottom to weigh it down so I can better use it as a walking stick (hopefully I won't need a walking aide by Dragoncon, but who knows. Better safe than sorry!).

While I'm still nosing around for fabrics, I guess the next step is patterns. So...who's got guesses on patterns for Rey's various costume pieces? :D

Emily over at The Stylish Geek is doing a really nice looking staff so far. I'm tempted to private message her and ask her cost of parts (as little ol' me is a on a budget...). https://www.facebook.com/thestylishgeek?fref=ts

If the staff is light, I'm considering putting some sort of weight on the bottom to weigh it down so I can better use it as a walking stick (hopefully I won't need a walking aide by Dragoncon, but who knows. Better safe than sorry!).

While I'm still nosing around for fabrics, I guess the next step is patterns. So...who's got guesses on patterns for Rey's various costume pieces? :D

The parts I'm going to be selling for the staff will be parts that can slip over a 1" PVC pipe. That should leave the staff fairly light, but the one I'm planning on finishing will probably have the pvc filled with resin with some kind of metal rod(s) inside to keep everything rigid. Maybe look into doing something like that with yours as well? Sorry to hear you're potentially having walking problems.

That's certainly an idea. :) I look forward to seeing how your staff (and subsequent pieces) comes out. (Alas, I was in a nasty car acccident last year that shattered my hip, so I currently walk with a cane. I'm hoping to be stronger by Dragoncon, but one never knows).

When looking at a 1" PVC pipe at the hardware store it seems really wide for the staff. I though a 3/4" was more reasonable. Thoughts?

I grabbed a piece out of my scrap pile and measured the outside with calipers and it came out to be like 1.125" diameter, but you're probably right actually. The pvc number actually comes from the inside size, so to get something close to 1" on the outside is probably actually 3/4" inner diameter. The piece I'd grabbed wasn't a section that had already been cut and didn't have any numbers printed on it so my idea was to take that piece to the store to match the size when I bought more. But yes, the short version is that it'll be the pipe that's sold as 3/4."

Last edited:
I grabbed a piece out of my scrap pile and measured the outside with calipers and it came out to be like 1.125" diameter, but you're probably right actually. The pvc number actually comes from the inside size, so to get something close to 1" on the outside is probably actually 3/4" inner diameter. The piece I'd grabbed wasn't a section that had any numbers printed on it so my idea was to take that piece to the store to match the size when I bought more. But yes, the short version is that it'll be the pipe that's sold as 3/4."

Awesome, thank you for explaining, I feel a lot better now. I was worried after checking them out in the store. :)

I had the same problem when looking for pieces for a Jack Frost staff. I think plumbing pipe and electrical pipe are measured differently - I think plumbing pipe is measured on inside diameter, and electrical pipe is measured on outside diameter (but this was a couple of years ago, so I could be mis-remembering!). Just be aware of that when you're shopping!

I want to thank TheLadyNerd for starting this thread, as well as all the contributors so far. I'm working on this costume for my granddaughter and the information has been invaluable. I've scaled things down to her size. Here's what I've done so far. The white is a cardstock pattern for the backpack. I've included a picture of the climbing gloves that I bought immediately after seeing them in this thread. Looks like the best starting point you could ask for. 2007_0518ella0006.JPG2007_0518ella0007.JPG

westarsmith - You're most welcome! I love starting community threads rather than personal build threads. It helps more people out that way. :) Great job so far!

Currently I'm on the hunt for patterns (as I can't buy fabric until I know exactly how much I need).

For Rey's undershirt it looks to be like a sort of sleeveless henley. (This is the only picture that shows the top closure)
e6540fb623b6d4912085260daa7dcaa1_zpsgc9delwi.jpg

I'm thinking they're a sort of harem-type capri with a bound and/or elastic bottom. (Probably a wide waistband at the top with no sort of closure or buttons). Though a friend mentioned that they ALMOST look like they took calf length pants and rolled them up like a dress shirt sleeve. You know where you fold the bulk fabric towards the back and then roll it up to the knee?
Pantspattern_zpslcbz57xz.jpg

My PC is down so I can't post pix.
If you can find the close ups of the legs it shows that the bottoms are bloused with a band at the bottom that the strapping is added to.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back