TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Does anyone know how many (if there are any) screen-used original trilogy Graflex sabers still exist besides the "Skywalker ranch" saber? I know the tape and it's overall condition are not screen accurate, but I'd like to know if any others survived and have been documented?

Also, has anyone read Roger Christian's book Cinema Alchemist? I know he designed the original lightsaber, and he's featured on starwars.com in this video holding the
Skywalker ranch saber
http://www.starwars.com/video/designing-the-light-saber-star-wars-discoveries-from-the-inside

But he's seen in this video holding one that more resembles the ANH version.
https://youtu.be/tTn27yHN9Gc

I'd like to know if his book offers anything beyond what he says in these interviews.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interestingly enough, this one doesn't appear to have the grips tapered at the end.
b350033ef1cf7f64e5592c71485d22c0.jpg

Has the accurate exposed Graflex clamp as well

5b8548c47dc2436da38d44d474a09773.jpg

Does anyone know how many (if there are any) screen-used original trilogy Graflex sabers still exist besides the "Skywalker ranch" saber? I know the tape and it's overall condition are not screen accurate, but I'd like to know if any others survived and have been documented?

Also, has anyone read Roger Christian's book Cinema Alchemist? I know he designed the original lightsaber, and he's featured on starwars.com in this video holding the
Skywalker ranch saber
http://www.starwars.com/video/designing-the-light-saber-star-wars-discoveries-from-the-inside

But he's seen in this video holding one that more resembles the ANH version.
https://youtu.be/tTn27yHN9Gc

I'd like to know if his book offers anything beyond what he says in these interviews.

Thanks guys!

I've never seen this video before! thanks for sharing it. so roger is claiming the saber he holds in his hand right there is the actual saber in obiwans chest?

I'm sure others have seen this already but I just noticed it at my local bookseller. Don't recall seeing this promo shot before of Finn holding the TFA lightsaber complete with antenna protruding from the bottom of the hilt.IMG_6487.JPG

I'm sure others have seen this already but I just noticed it at my local bookseller. Don't recall seeing this promo shot before of Finn holding the TFA lightsaber complete with antenna protruding from the bottom of the hilt.star-wars-insider-special-edition-2017.jpg

I'm sure others have seen this already but I just noticed it at my local bookseller. Don't recall seeing this promo shot before of Finn holding the TFA lightsaber complete with antenna protruding from the bottom of the hilt.View attachment 688162

this is new to me!! im going to have to check my local book store, i would love to see more of the antenna

Wasn't the antenna for the mapping the blade movement for post? So wasn't that on the softy stunts? That thing looks pretty metal. In fact-- look at the weathering on the grips-- that makes them look metallic. Could be paint-- but still.. and are those rivets?

Can you make out on the photo if those are torex heads... maybe even hex? Could be rivets as well. Lots of detail down there on the enlargement of the photo. Can even make out ribbing in the antenna.

Alright, I did it.

I read all 121 pages of this thread, the 59 pages of Roman's thread, and the 19 pages of the Graflex Variations thread, in the last week. All I have to say is wow. I am so thankful this community exists and that you all spread your collective knowledge!

Oh, and I am HOOKED. I ordered a Roman Graflex after about halfway through reading his thread, and seeing how much work he had done. Couldn't waste an opportunity to snag such a perfect replica! And then today... I went and bought a genuine one. Hate to pay the prices that these are at now, but I think i found a good deal. I lost out yesterday on a really nice 3 cell, but picked up a 2 cell instead that I am hoping to find a 3 cell bottom for. I have reservations about permanently riveting/ screwing the T tracks into a real one, so I ordered an ANH kit from Roy for the real one, and a TFA kit from Roman for that build.

I am extremely excited for both builds, but this thread really inspired me. I grew up with the OT, and seeing this saber back on screen.... it felt so good. I damn near cried with joy when the trailer with Han and Chewie came out. So this build will probably be my favorite one, and I may do a crystal reveal later. The ANH build will be more historical, and will likely never come out from its case except on special occasions. I'm imagining that the TFA saber will live on my desk. ;)

Looking forward to posting some photos soon.

Alright, I did it.

I read all 121 pages of this thread, the 59 pages of Roman's thread, and the 19 pages of the Graflex Variations thread, in the last week. All I have to say is wow. I am so thankful this community exists and that you all spread your collective knowledge!

Oh, and I am HOOKED. I ordered a Roman Graflex after about halfway through reading his thread, and seeing how much work he had done. Couldn't waste an opportunity to snag such a perfect replica! And then today... I went and bought a genuine one. Hate to pay the prices that these are at now, but I think i found a good deal. I lost out yesterday on a really nice 3 cell, but picked up a 2 cell instead that I am hoping to find a 3 cell bottom for. I have reservations about permanently riveting/ screwing the T tracks into a real one, so I ordered an ANH kit from Roy for the real one, and a TFA kit from Roman for that build.

I am extremely excited for both builds, but this thread really inspired me. I grew up with the OT, and seeing this saber back on screen.... it felt so good. I damn near cried with joy when the trailer with Han and Chewie came out. So this build will probably be my favorite one, and I may do a crystal reveal later. The ANH build will be more historical, and will likely never come out from its case except on special occasions. I'm imagining that the TFA saber will live on my desk. ;)

Welcome! Yes as I am discovering this can be very addicting! Can't wait to see how your builds turn out!

Alright, I did it.

Welcome aboard! It's a crazy, expensive ride, but so worth it! I'm on my 2nd vintage Graflex with a Roman's on the way. Roy's parts are the best and I love Slothfurnace's clamp cards.

Be sure to post pics of your builds!

Alright, I did it.

congratulations! you have completed the graftex initiation. :thumbsup

Indeed welcome aboard SteakSauce ... looking forward to your G R A F L E X ANH lightsaber build :)

Kbuckne4 there's also the ROTJ Vader G R A F L E X based stuntlightsaber at the Lucasfilm Archives.

Chaïm

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back