TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

Looks like some sort of covering / wrap to me. For this reason:

This small piece of sheet metal should be the same color from end to end.
Notice the 'clip' section (bubble holder) is a different color from the rest of the mid-band.
Well, that should be a good indicator that it is covered.

grflxclip.jpg

Image below as well.

Forget the side-bars & lever... Notice the 'clip' section is a different color from the rest of the band... It should NOT be, since it's one piece of sheet metal. I do believe it is wrapped.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Sounds good. It just seems like we need to know what it was wrapped with, and how they added the lines while removing the text.

Looks like some sort of covering / wrap to me. For this reason:

Notice the 'clip' section (bubble holder) is a different color from the rest of the mid-band.

Image below as well.

Forget the side-bars & lever... Notice the 'clip' section is a different color from the rest of the band... It should NOT be, since it's one piece of sheet metal. I do believe it is wrapped.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=557361&d=1448055282

thanks, that better describes what I was trying to point out :)

You do realize a screw can be changed right? That still doesn't account for the different finish on the inside top. I'll post a picture later so you can see a side by side difference.

Yeah but why would they try to make a repro look antique, the brass pins are dark as an old vintage flash, which in a parks are brass color, the shine on the middle left picture corresponds to my vintage flash on the middle right, in the bottom it's the vintage flash to the left and parks to the right, you can see the parks has a more matte finish, also if you look at the sides of the bunny ear, on parks there are regularly scratches on the metal probably made while they where making the hole for the bunny ears, in a vintage flash you don't see them only the smooth satin finish.

Not really.
Light and sightline can easy cause different shines due to the different angle the surfaces have.

I know some here are biting on their believes like little dogs fearing to loose their toy - but at this moment each opinion is as useless as any other.

I tend to agree with the wrap theory, like Roman explains.

I do have a hard time when people write that they KNOW something for sure! It's all just speculation based on images and experience. We better respect each ones opinion and be open to their insights. We get a better chance of getting closer to the truth that way than pursueding others by saying that they KNOW for sure like a religious fanatic. :)

It looks like it might be covered with a thin sheet of metal, the lines are probably cnc'd out with a tiny router bit. I'm sure bending the new facing to fit the clamp would be a simple procedure. You can see the lip very clearly in the little square punch-outs in this pic
attachment.php

It could be a gap filler underneath, but I'm seeing a clear colour tint difference on the surface of this particular saber.

thanks, that better describes what I was trying to point out :)

You're right! I see you posted my idea first!!! :lol :lol ;)

Not really.
Light and sightline can easy cause different shines due to the different angle the surfaces have.

I know some here are biting on their believes like little dogs fearing to loose their toy - but at this moment each opinion is as useless as any other.

I understand the angle thing, but with the clamp reflecting at 360 degrees... somewhere that clamp should have the same coloring as the clip, but it doesn't. The easiest explanation would be a covering.

I don't believe most people / anyone are worried about their toys / logos. I think at this point everyone wants to know if it's a vintage clamp wrapped with some sort of covering. No logo clamps are readily available and solve this "problem" easily. But I honestly don't think that's what's going on here. I just think we are ultra-anal about details and want to replicate as exact as possible. :D:D

Well, i don´t intend to waste a Graflex on this saber :D, so my interest is only theoretical - but nonetheless....

The clamp i have has a equal shine over it, Not partial differing due to it´s curvature, it´s just completely changing. From one direction it looks Graflex, from another darker ...... but always completely. Darker and brighter places due to shadows, just as the Graflex above and under it, but the difference to the Graflex is always the same.

Regarding "as possible" ....... a to wide clamp would be no shortcut, it would have been made completly new, as no old one of any kind could be used. Sure, glueing some tape would be cheaper to replicate.

I tend to agree with the wrap theory, like Roman explains.

I do have a hard time when people write that they KNOW something for sure! It's all just speculation based on images and experience. We better respect each ones opinion and be open to their insights. We get a better chance of getting closer to the truth that way than pursueding others by saying that they KNOW for sure like a religious fanatic. :)

I KNOW FOR SURE you are right. :lol

Me personally,..I'm always right,...sometimes. Okay that's a Will Smith line but I love it.

BTW I am sooo close to finally getting your ANH saber kit to finish my Vintage Graflex. Sooo excited.

Tom

I can't seem to see the bend from the clamp tabs. Were those filed off?

I can't seem to see the bend from the clamp tabs. Were those filed off?

I don't see them either, but I don't think they were removed because you would have to use screws going through the holes of the clamp to have the top and bottom fixed. or having the clamp very tight, but doesn't seem convenient.

If the bends were covered by a wrap, we would be able to part of the tabs and a small gap where the bend would be and where the wrap was. However, the clamp has no indication of any sort of bend or gap. It also doesn't have any tabs, which us why I think it may be a repro, possibly from an MR. As for the different finishes, many repro clamps have had some strange finishes on them. I believe that there was a JY thread not too long ago selling a clamp that had some inconsistent finishes. There are many possibilities as to the different finishes between the cylindrical surface and the bubble/card holders.

EDIT: Looks like the JY thread I referred to was deleted. I can post a picture of what I am referring to soon.

What hex screw diameter do you guys think was used on the Disney exhibit prop? Somehow I feel 8mm is too wide :unsure

Not really.

Anyone notice how the "off color" clamp here looks kinda like an electronic device that comes with that really thin factory plastic covering on a screen or flat surface? Looks like it has those tiny little bubbles.

Btw, full disclosure, my 8 year old microwave STILL has that factory plastic covering over the keypad :eek:

Edit: hmmm... photo didn't show up here...

comparison.jpg

Anyone notice how the "off color" clamp here looks kinda like an electronic device that comes with that really thin factory plastic covering on a screen or flat surface? Looks like it has those tiny little bubbles.

Btw, full disclosure, my 8 year old microwave STILL has that factory plastic covering over the keypad :eek:

Edit: hmmm... photo didn't show up here...

View attachment 557797
You mean the clear plastic to protect the surface? Yeah that's why I think it's a tape, it has a different shine you don't get on metal unless it's polished, but on the graflex with the white background you don't get that shine, but on the teaser #2 it does, lighting does play it's part.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back