TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Here's my solution for turning a vintage style glass eye to remove the knurling. This is from Roman's new graflex. I pushed it on to one of these new-fangled Dremel drums that expands when you pop it down. It was a tight fit but it worked. Just ran it along a file a few times and then sanded smooth.

View attachment 697304View attachment 697305View attachment 697309

That's ingenious.

I did it old-country way with a metal file. It was pretty easy. Was done in about 10 minutes and it looks great.

I had my kid hold the glass eye above his head. I set a small file to it, and I just ran circles around him really fast for about 7 hours. It came out perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh boy, I guess now I get to figure out which is which in the gallery and label them accordingly! Looking at them now, there's one sideways, one standing up and one angled... Are there 3 or was one moved at some point?

By the way, I've been meaning to ask - would a thread on the RPF sourcing information for the Graflex Bank be okay? I'm still pretty new on here, and there's lots of information I want to add that I haven't been able to find yet.

Now that I look at your pics, they seem the same to me after all. ARRGGG!!!!

When I was at Disneyland last week and saw it in person I could have sworn they were darker. Probably going again within the next month or so, I'll be sure to take pictures.

Oh boy, I guess now I get to figure out which is which in the gallery and label them accordingly! Looking at them now, there's one sideways, one standing up and one angled... Are there 3 or was one moved at some point?

By the way, I've been meaning to ask - would a thread on the RPF sourcing information for the Graflex Bank be okay? I'm still pretty new on here, and there's lots of information I want to add that I haven't been able to find yet.
I'm in the same boat, green to this stuff and am willing to learn.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hmm, so the 2 are different for sure? I had not taken this into account

Mind pinging me if it turns out they use different screws so I can update the Graflex Bank? :)

i did not know you were the one behind the graflex bank. wicked awesome site, its one of my favorites! you know i wondered why no one covered any photos of the disneyland graflex? lol

thank you for all the hard work that has gone into your site, i greatly appreciate it and use it all the time as reference! :thumbsup

i did not know you were the one behind the graflex bank. wicked awesome site, its one of my favorites! you know i wondered why no one covered any photos of the disneyland graflex? lol

thank you for all the hard work that has gone into your site, i greatly appreciate it and use it all the time as reference! :thumbsup

Hohoo yeah, less than half a year into this hobby and I'm over a thousand bucks poorer and have poured so many hours into the site... Can't really complain though, beautiful Graflex 2.0 and a vintage Kobold (w/ original box!) on my shelf, Roman's on the way and Graflex Shop replica preordered :)

Glad the site is getting used! Thanks!

Hohoo yeah, less than half a year into this hobby and I'm over a thousand bucks poorer and have poured so many hours into the site... Can't really complain though, beautiful Graflex 2.0 and a vintage Kobold (w/ original box!) on my shelf, Roman's on the way and Graflex Shop replica preordered :)

Glad the site is getting used! Thanks!

No! Thank you for providing a fantastic point of reference for those of us that love, admire and respect such an iconic prop

I must be driving Roy crazy because every time I check this thread I find a new part I need to order. ;)

Am I alone in ignoring the Launch Bay saber as far as not fully representing what was on screen?

Just visited http://graflexbank.com

Exactly what I've been looking for!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

After owning this vintage Graflex flash for over a year and carefully following this amazing thread, I have finally finished my Maz's box saber. It was done with Roy's grips and D-ring and clamp card from Sloth (I have a wannawanga clamp card on the way too).

It was my aim to build this saber without drilling into the Graflex at all, I did this by filing down the rivets to make them flat then gluing them to the t-track, with the D-ring I activated the rivets before attaching it to the flash then filed them down to be flush with the bottom of the flash, also added some light weathering to the D-ring.

Big thanks to all of you here and especially Roy for his parts and blueprints to go off!

IMG_2406.JPGIMG_5190.JPGIMG_0866.JPGIMG_3404.JPG

After owning this vintage Graflex flash for over a year and carefully following this amazing thread, I have finally finished my Maz's box saber. It was done with Roy's grips and D-ring and clamp card from Sloth (I have a wannawanga clamp card on the way too).

It was my aim to build this saber without drilling into the Graflex at all, I did this by filing down the rivets to make them flat then gluing them to the t-track, with the D-ring I activated the rivets before attaching it to the flash then filed them down to be flush with the bottom of the flash, also added some light weathering to the D-ring.

Big thanks to all of you here and especially Roy for his parts and blueprints to go off!

View attachment 697876View attachment 697873View attachment 697874View attachment 697875

It looks fantastic! Excellent job! How did you get the grips so straight? I haven't received my Graflex shop hilt yet, but that has been one of my reservations about doing the Maz box hilt. I feel like it is going to more difficult to line up the grips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 697876View attachment 697873View attachment 697874View attachment 697875

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!! :p

Slightly off topic, but does anyone sell just the smooth metallic tape for an ESB clamp? I was gonna do a true TFA with a clamp cover, but I think I want to do an ESB/ANH hybrid.

I think you can get it from a hardware store. 1/2" mylar tape is what you need.

Looks great! Do you plan on adding the clamp cover plate?

I must be driving Roy crazy because every time I check this thread I find a new part I need to order. ;)

Am I alone in ignoring the Launch Bay saber as far as not fully representing what was on screen?

I can't say I can ignore the launch bay sabers. Though they aren't shown on screen I still respect them and the artists involved in making them

Personally one day I hope we get TFA grips. Once we do I want to make a launch bag saber with the tamper proof screws

Beautiful job! The box saber is my favorite out of them all! I'm a big fan of not drilling into the bottom half as well!

I like how you chose rivets! ;)

It looks fantastic! Excellent job! How did you get the grips so straight? I haven't received my Graflex shop hilt yet, but that has been one of my reservations about doing the Maz box hilt. I feel like it is going to more difficult to line up the grips

I made a 4.5mm mark from the bottom of the hilt and a 3.5mm mark from the clamp as per Roy's blue print and then eye-balled it. The first grip I line up exactly with the clamp card, second grip directly opposite that. It helps to line them up with the red button and glass eye when you're looking from the bottom of the hilt. It took a bit of fidgeting to get them perfectly straight. Just remember every grip has another grip directly opposite it.

I made a 4.5mm mark from the bottom of the hilt and a 3.5mm mark from the clamp as per Roy's blue print and then eye-balled it. The first grip I line up exactly with the clamp carp, second grip directly opposite that. It helps to line them up with the red button and glass eye when you're looking from the bottom of the hilt. It took a bit of fidgeting to get them perfectly straight. Just remember every grip has another grip directly opposite it.

Thank you for your advise! I like how you didn't drill and I like that you didn't cover up the stamping!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back