TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

The tops and bottoms are plated brass. The clamps are steel.

There was a dramatic illustration of this fact in a recent eBay auction; the top and bottom were in nice shape while the clamp was rusted to hell.

Now that I can see the pictures bigger, is it me or does the kobold look way off? Do we still think the grips are riveted or are those flat headed socket screws. Makes me think they are the socket screws in these pictures

I'd say, for the Disney display saber, the grips are no more than 90mm, maybe even a bit shorter. There is a small gap between the grips and the clamp and a larger gap between the grips and the bottom. The veneer is definitely peeling away. It looks like thin sheet metal. Also, the Kobold appears to have countersunk holes where the screws go in.

not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but looks like the Kobold clip is attached on by screws, rather then rivet?

image.jpeg

If the veneer were made of metal, it would have been rolled to match the diameter of the clamp -- Adhesive would be used to keep it from sliding but there's no possibility of "peeling" unless the edge caught on something (and I don't see a crease or other indication of damage). And the edges would be SHARP on metal that thin (read: a liability).

What's on that clamp seems to be a laser or die cut sticker with adhesive that's giving out. As linked previously in the thread, there are a lot of metalized polyester film/vinyl wrap/etc materials out there that have a realistic metal look.

Last edited:

A bit off topic from the current discussion, but I thought I might bring this up. A theory on the antenna was that someone off camera would turn the saber on, and that has been confirmed by John Boyega here: https://youtu.be/MjWHpwihkZw?t=416 He says, "I was going to push it, and have JJ go for sound effects, but apparently that's too much..."

A bit off topic from the current discussion, but I thought I might bring this up. A theory on the antenna was that someone off camera would turn the saber on, and that has been confirmed by John Boyega here: https://youtu.be/MjWHpwihkZw?t=416 He says, "I was going to push it, and have JJ go for sound effects, but apparently that's too much..."

I don't think he meant "push" as in push a button. He means push the issue and ask JJ to add on-set sound FX in addition to the light-up blades.

In that interview, Boyega mentions that the blades would flash white on impact... interesting.

Now that I can see the pictures bigger, is it me or does the kobold look way off? Do we still think the grips are riveted or are those flat headed socket screws. Makes me think they are the socket screws in these pictures

The Kobold does look thicker to me.

Wired posted a larger version of the graflex pic on their blog a while back. It's in black & white, but you can see some key details:
View attachment 562664

I see rivets

andy is it me or does it look like the heads are counter sunk into the kobold?

Yeah looks like it, maybe that's why at first glance I don't like the look on that kobold

I'd say, for the Disney display saber, the grips are no more than 90mm, maybe even a bit shorter. There is a small gap between the grips and the clamp and a larger gap between the grips and the bottom. The veneer is definitely peeling away. It looks like thin sheet metal. Also, the Kobold appears to have countersunk holes where the screws go in.

That's a very big gap for the bottom of the grips I also see, I like them starting from the bottom better. As for being a tape on the clamp, I don't believe that anymore, agree on being a metal sheet that was glued and is peeling off, tape doesn't return to it's original shape like that.

I was thinking Kobold clips were nickle plated brass, so if you drill into them to countersink the bolts you would see brass.

I wonder if the clips are new machined aluminum by the prop dept?

Here's the '03 MR SE Edition 'Kobold'

kXDZTGR.jpg

Sure looks the right thickness to me.

Maybe they yanked one of these off and made a few casts?

This would follow suit with the MR DL-44 parts they used.

Last edited:

I agree the Kobold is 100% not a real Kobold. At least not the ones in these pics. The finish is wrong. As James Kenobi 1138 mentioned, there is no brass showing in the countersunk areas. As thd9791 stated, it does also seem a bit thick. On top of that, it seems highly unlikely they'd shell out the requisite dough for a real Kobold flash just to use the clip...only people from this board do that.

Plus, our friend did offer up a real Kobold to Foodles and they didn't want to buy it, if memory serves me correctly. To me, though, the finish is the immediate give away.

Based on the grip height, it looks like the saber shown in Finns jacket pocket may be 'the' Hero saber and these display sabers may be stunt or production made.

I don't think it really makes sense to make this type of distinction between stunt and hero here. There doesn't seem to be anything "stunt" about this prop. It's not resin or rubber. It's not fitted out for any fx purposes. It's not specially engineered for an action sequence. I think they just made a bunch of hero props that all have a little difference between each of them and with all the various location shots this film has, I wouldn't be surprised it a whole lot of different variations got used along the way.

Compared to the ROTS Graflex 'interpretation' I think we as a bunch of prop loving maniacs have nothing to complain about - which is a first for me ;)
I'm just so happy how much effort went in to this prop. I totally get why they left the glass eye in, and I think I have come to terms with it already! :)
I'm a bit giddy about seeing it on screen again.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back