TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Has the saber at the end when Rey holds it out been identified? Is it the Mas or the Finn hero with the turned down glass eye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has the saber at the end when Rey holds it out been identified? Is it the Mas or the Finn hero with the turned down glass eye?

I think its the Finn/Rey version. http://graflexbank.com/viigallery.html

i think so too, i call this the long grip version.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys, i was keeping up with this thread for some time awhile ago but missed quite a bit over the last couple of months.

Anyhow, i was just wondering if there was anu consensus regarding the grip screws/rivets on the screen used saber?

I took a ride over to Disney's launch bay over the weekend and I can definitely confirm that the saber on display does have the star shaped slot screws...but dont know if this translates to the screen used saber as well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...2-F59B-441D-8BDD-21841E5A7E2E_zpsm4xrxfvu.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...4-581A-4590-A47F-492B7DFEC2CD_zpsswwlwqvm.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...3-F509-46FC-A048-4B76E2EF5717_zpsku2qbkix.jpg

thank you for sharing these pictures. do you have any more of this saber? maybe closer to the end profile of the grips? i am so back and forth over the grooves in the clamp cover... these pictures look like they are etched in to me.. lol i love this stuff but it drives me nuts!

These are the only other ones i have-

340FF906-0209-41B1-8173-4813F1417E6E_zps9wxreflx.png

0C91BC7E-0083-4231-A416-2F17D85F361C_zps0p8q2zjg.png

5A0711C5-6B88-48BC-BD42-6B01C71316FD_zpsn7kil3pd.png

BE7B276F-087A-4B6F-96DB-78AC8DE7D15F_zpsudlhjtw1.png

Just for fun (on a very sad day) I tried to match the light of Maz Kanatas castle and took some photos of my Graflex.
The clamp cover on my clamp has cut grooves. I think it looks pretty good, but it's no perfect match to the one on screen. I don't know whether that is because the lighting is different or whether mine is a bit thicker or they used a stamped one in the movie. I'm happy with it, though... :)

Match2.jpg

-- EDIT --
Here is another one that is much closer. The look of the grooves varies vastly, depending on the lighting.

Match3.jpg

Last edited:
Just for fun (on a very sad day) I tried to match the light of Maz Kanatas castle and took some photos of my Graflex.
The clamp cover on my clamp has cut grooves. I think it looks pretty good, but it's no perfect match to the one on screen. I don't know whether that is because the lighting is different or whether mine is a bit thicker or they used a stamped one in the movie. I'm happy with it, though... :)

View attachment 693505

-- EDIT --
Here is another one that is much closer. The look of the grooves varies vastly, depending on the lighting.

View attachment 693589

There's also the fact that it also uses different lenses etc

What's the thread pattern on the slotted screw above the glass eye? I got my adapter and blade plug in yesterday, and would like to set the plug temporarily until my replica flash arrives next month.

What's the thread pattern on the slotted screw above the glass eye? I got my adapter and blade plug in yesterday, and would like to set the plug temporarily until my replica flash arrives next month.

On the 2.0 it is 4/40. I assume its the same the adapter?

No, it's the KR Sabers adapter which came with a blade plug. Similar to the Solo's Hold adapter, it's designed to replicate the vintage bulb hardware (so the thread pattern should match a vintage). Until my flash shows up, I'd like to just get a screw at the hardware store to lock down the blade plug in the adapter.

EDIT: It's a #4-40. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thinking of an idealized (aka frankenstein) saber myself. ANH glass eye & tabbed red button, ESB clamp card, grip size/positions, ESB Kobold/ring, TFA screws in grips (6-lobed torx/torx+ or 5-lobed "penta-lobed" style). Now I'm just trying to decide whether I cover up the Graflex logo on the clamp or not.

Last edited:
Thinking of an idealized (aka frankenstein) saber myself. ANH glass eye & tabbed red button, ESB clamp card, grip size/positions, ESB Kobold/ring, TFA screws in grips (6-lobed torx/torx+ or 5-lobed "penta-lobed" style). Now I'm just trying to decide whether I cover up the Graflex logo on the clamp or not.

Oddly enough, I've contemplated a similar idea. I really like the exposed Graflex logo on the clamp and bottom. I kinda wish they didn't cover it up for TFA, but I understand why.

Unfortunately I'm not sure my OCD would be satisfied with a less than accurate representation of the saber. Still... it is tempting.

Unfortunately I'm not sure my OCD would be satisfied with a less than accurate representation of the saber. Still... it is tempting.

My intention has been to have only a single "Luke" Graflex saber and the first plan was straight-up ESB with two red buttons, no tab, six grips, etc. But now looking at what's been changed/done for TFA, part of me wants that little ANH character/homage there as well. I can't bring myself to cover up the entire clamp on Roman's excellent replica, so at most it's a choice of whether to use some mylar or similar metallized tape to cover only the logo. I don't intend to cover the bottom on this saber nor the ROTJ Vader I plan to use the second Graflex replica for.

Last edited:
My intention has been to have only a single "Luke" Graflex saber and the first plan was straight-up ESB with two red buttons, no tab, six grips, etc. But now looking at what's been changed/done for TFA, part of me wants that little ANH character/homage there as well. I can't bring myself to cover up the entire clamp on Roman's excellent replica, so at most it's a choice of whether to use some mylar or similar metallized tape to cover only the logo. I don't intend to cover the bottom on this saber nor the ROTJ Vader I plan to use the second Graflex replica for.

I definitely dig that! I'd love to see some pics when you finish it! It is hard to settle for just one saber and it's very expensive to build more than one. Plus it could end up changing some in Episode VIII anyway. Might as well be happy with something that honors the legacy as well as the craftsman ship that goes into making these beautiful pieces.

Anyhow, i was just wondering if there was anu consensus regarding the grip screws/rivets on the screen used saber?

Using a grip width of 13mm for reference, it looks like T-9 Torx drive flat head (non-countersink, aka wafer head) screws with a 6mm head diameter (maybe M3 threads). Hard disk drive screws are close at just under 5.5mm head diameter (might be these if the grips are narrower than 13mm)

Last edited:
Using a grip width of 13mm for reference, it looks like T-9 Torx drive flat head (non-countersink, aka wafer head) screws with a 6mm head diameter (maybe M3 threads). Hard disk drive screws are close at just under 5.5mm head diameter (might be these if the grips are narrower than 13mm)

Wow, someone did their research!

Thanks for the input!

Thanks. I'm going with Torx based on your description of the drive socket being star-shaped - from the photos alone the could also be hex-drive with the light playing little reflection tricks.

If the cut-out in the tracks is about 6.5mm as Roy has listed in his blueprint, then these may very well be hard drive screws. They're certainly the easiest to scrounge up from all my searching today. It's very difficult in general to find flat screws by any name (wafer, extreme or ultra low profile cap, extreme or ultra low pan, cheese head, etc..) let alone using Torx or Hex drive. Philips is the most common and I have a hard time believing they'd have custom screws made.

I did find one site, Misumi, which had an interesting array of possible screws, but at over $6 per screw, I didn't spend too much time there. :)

Last edited:
So has the rivets / screw thing been confirmed? The Graflex bank says it's not but with the new pictures one wonders. I'm going for the one that Ray hands out to luke at the end, which is the same as the hero.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back