TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

The fiberglass substrate my cards are made with also is slightly translucent such as that photo, and from what I can tell, the thin traces are silvered. Not a big deal, just things to note.

If I do put anything on the back, it will be the rounded ESB with thin trace version, I'll have t o find good shots of that. If, in fact, the ESB rounded layout is identical to the TFA rounded layout, then I'll not put anything on the back, and the same card can be used for both saber builds.

The only card we have from ESB is on the Skywalker Ranch saber. I think it's been matched with ones on Promo shots (with where they cut the board in relation to the traces on the ends) and it has rectangular leads. They can look a little rounded because of the transition to the thin silver fingers but they're most definitely not like the ones in TFA

LukeESB-04_zps7509d7ae.jpgLFA_LukeESBrs.jpg

The only card we have from ESB is on the Skywalker Ranch saber. I think it's been matched with ones on Promo shots (with where they cut the board in relation to the traces on the ends) and it has rectangular leads. They can look a little rounded because of the transition to the thin silver fingers but they're most definitely not like the ones in TFA

View attachment 557047View attachment 557048

Well, I will defer to consensus of experts before I send the layouts to be manufactured, but if you all have been happy with the quality of the cards I have been providing, I'd be happy to provide the TFA card for the community.

Right now, my plans are:

Card A: ROTJ V2 side 1; ESB Square thick trace side 2
Card B: TFA Rounded thick trace, right side offset thin trace side 1; To Be Determined Side 2

So, I'm seeing two different grip profiles on the saber in Wired and the saber at Disney. The Disney saber looks to have Gino/Roy style grips. But the grips on the Wired saber look like those from Blast-Tech or TFX

Anyone else see what I'm seeing?

Have visual dictionary photoshoots ever been definitive? I had a bunch growing up, but feel like I always thought things looked off to me. Like they're usually stunt props or castings vs. hero versions. If the Wired photos are from the Visual Dictionary, then it wouldn't surprise me if it had inaccuracies, or was just "close enough." Hopefully when the movie comes out we wont be too distracted staring at the saber, that we miss out on the movie :wacko

Have visual dictionary photoshoots ever been definitive? I had a bunch growing up, but feel like I always thought things looked off to me. Like they're usually stunt props or castings vs. hero versions. If the Wired photos are from the Visual Dictionary, then it wouldn't surprise me if it had inaccuracies, or was just "close enough." Hopefully when the movie comes out we wont be too distracted staring at the saber, that we miss out on the movie :wacko

Based on what I'm seeing, it's the opposite this time. The photos used for the VD actually are of the hero props instead of stunt props and replicas

That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

Hopefully because they know we're the type to kill for some solid references of stuff haha

Hopefully because they know we're the type to kill for some solid references of stuff haha

If we had our way the Visual Dictionaries would be more like Encyclopedia Britannica, with a whole volume for each prop :)

I had a thought that the reason why the plating on the Wired saber has a bit more of a gold tone could be because it's off of an Icons saber.

Dan

So, I'm seeing two different grip profiles on the saber in Wired and the saber at Disney. The Disney saber looks to have Gino/Roy style grips. But the grips on the Wired saber look like those from Blast-Tech or TFX

Anyone else see what I'm seeing?

Yeah, I commented on it on post #871

Here's the thing, we have heard several times that several Graflex flash units were bought from a member or members of the RPF for use in TFA. What is not commonly stated is that most likely, these flash units were already converted to look like the Graflex based lightsabers from the movies before being purchased. Even if they were all ESB style, we all know that not every one of them will be decked out exactly the same. My guess? The prop wranglers for TFA just used what was on hand, interchangeably, not caring about the little differences between each build. That said, these Graflex lightsaber props that are at the various Disney Parks and what is being used for the new visual dictionary and what was used in the TFA movie could all be the ones bought from RPF members. Who's to know? Who's to say? That's my theory though and it helps explain why they differ.

The exhibit had a TON of replicas on display - there was a whole room of OT studio scale models, none of which were screen-used. There were even some other lightsaber replicas on display. It's very possible that this was created especially for the exhibit.

However, the other TFA props all seemed screen used, so....

Jason

Here's the thing, we have heard several times that several Graflex flash units were bought from a member or members of the RPF for use in TFA. What is not commonly stated is that most likely, these flash units were already converted to look like the Graflex based lightsabers from the movies before being purchased. Even if they were all ESB style, we all know that not every one of them will be decked out exactly the same. My guess? The prop wranglers for TFA just used what was on hand, interchangeably, not caring about the little differences between each build. That said, these Graflex lightsaber props that are at the various Disney Parks and what is being used for the new visual dictionary and what was used in the TFA movie could all be the ones bought from RPF members. Who's to know? Who's to say? That's my theory though and it helps explain why they differ.

If I'm not mistaken, the Graflex units were in original condition, not converted.

At those prices now ..... each decision what to build has to be choosen well. So, having some unconverted is better than to hurry a decision. :D

And one unconverted on display, next to the build sabers. :cool

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back