TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Some new screenshots:

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-23 um 09.53.31.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-23 um 09.53.31.png
    322.4 KB · Views: 238
  • Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-23 um 09.50.03.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-23 um 09.50.03.png
    345.3 KB · Views: 276
  • Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-23 um 09.43.27.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-23 um 09.43.27.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 223
  • Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-23 um 09.42.43.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-23 um 09.42.43.png
    400.7 KB · Views: 275
  • Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-23 um 09.37.37.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-23 um 09.37.37.png
    461.4 KB · Views: 256
  • Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-23 um 09.37.05.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-23 um 09.37.05.png
    704.7 KB · Views: 278
  • Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-23 um 09.35.07.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-23 um 09.35.07.png
    494.6 KB · Views: 245
  • Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-23 um 09.34.31.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-23 um 09.34.31.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 296
Last edited:
It looks like the edge connector in the pic where Finn is holding it has the thin traces on the opposite side from existing replicas. On the left side of the thicker trace instead of the right, so it would appear both versions are screen accurate. It's difficult to tell for sure, but it almost looks like the lines in the clamp wrap are not cut all the way through the material. There's definitely some shadow indicating some depth, but there's also some lighter color in there as well. To me this indicates either it's not cut all the way through or it is cut all the way through and that lighter color is the actual clamp underneath. You would expect to see the actual clamp lines under the cut outs but maybe it didn't line up perfectly...?

Also, it appears as though the Maz box saber and the Rey handing to Luke saber are possibly the same Hero prop based on the length of the grips.

Or maybe by pushing the saber into the snow the bottom tube is pushed some millimeters farther inside than in the other scenes xD

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100G mit Tapatalk

Or maybe by pushing the saber into the snow the bottom tube is pushed some millimeters farther inside than in the other scenes xD

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100G mit Tapatalk

That wouldn't explain the grips going all the way to the pommel end of the tube though. A clear difference from the Hero in Maz's box where they stop short by a millimeter or two.

In the snow, are the rivets closer to the pommel as well, or is the section below the rivets simply longer? It seems to me the whole grip is shifted toward the pommel.

I'm with the long grips crew and anyone who has owned a real G R A F L E X knows that there is a certain amount of play with the bottom and upper tubes in the clamp. you can pull down on the lower tube and create a gap that gives the illusion of shorter grips. Also, like anything in this hobby.. there are several versions of the prop and it all depends on which we're looking at.

You're right it could very well be that the grips are the same length on Hero and stunt, it's just the placement that is different on the bottom tube. The Hero clearly has them with a gap on each end, but the snow saber, I'm assuming to be a stunt of some sort, has them lined up to the end of the tube.

You're right it could very well be that the grips are the same length on Hero and stunt, it's just the placement that is different on the bottom tube. The Hero clearly has them with a gap on each end, but the snow saber, I'm assuming to be a stunt of some sort, has them lined up to the end of the tube.

Ohhh I see what you're saying.

the rivers holding the grips to the tube, are they tamper proof flat head screws? or are we sticking with rivets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick fun-fact concerning the snow scene.

I was listening to the March 11th Nerdist Podcast with J.J. Abrams and Dan Trachtenberg and just learned some additional information about the climatic snow scene. During the interview J.J. Abrams explains that he was unhappy with the snow scene because it didn't feature enough close-ups of Rey. In order to get the shots he wanted he actually reshot the close ups for the snow scene in his California Bad Robot studio. He (J.J.) specifically mentioned the shot of Ren and Ray face to face before Rey overpowers Ren. J.J. never mentions the props used but maybe the stunt saber used in the reshot scenes could actually be a quick 3D-Print job, especially if the original props were no longer available for the stateside reshoot.

the rivers holding the grips to the tube, are they tamper proof flat head screws? or are we sticking with rivets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far I'm betting on rivets!

In the plane back home on Monday, a Boeing dreamliner, TFA was in the entertainment system! So I had another good look at the Maz box scene:

e464b0e973453b585a8ebb2d76c80147.jpg

Still hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure :)

Roy
www.wannawanga.com

I knew HD screen caps would answer all our questions.

Absolutely, the grips on the saber in the snow do look like they go all the way to the end of the bottom tube. With that said, every other saber seems to show short grips that are short on both ends, short of the clamp and short of the tube endcap.

If the snow saber was a stunt due to a practical effect it may be different than the Hero seen in every other single shot in the movie.

I can't wait for the Blu-Ray and the special features.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back