Subscribe
  1. Mance Vader RPF Premium Member MCM's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore
    Apr 9, 2016, 1:58 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2276

Spyhunter2k said: View Post
    I'm DEFINITELY seeing hex screws in these shots. You can make out the outline of the hexagon-shaped indentations pretty clearly.
    Holy cow! I think you're right! You can especially see it in that first picture.
  2. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    Apr 9, 2016, 2:36 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2277

MCM said: View Post
    Holy cow! I think you're right! You can especially see it in that first picture.
    I don't agree. The blurry shadows and light make the holes look hexagonal. Well, you can see in it whatever you want. I stick to 3mm rivets.
    Apr 9, 2016, 4:46 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2278

Same here - I think people want rivets sooo bad - but it sure looks like hex
  4. JJ Griffin is offline JJ Griffin
    Apr 9, 2016, 5:08 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2279

roygilsing said: View Post
    I don't agree. The blurry shadows and light make the holes look hexagonal. Well, you can see in it whatever you want. I stick to 3mm rivets.
    My contact who worked on the props for the film confirmed when I asked yesterday: "Old school. Rivets." I consider my source very reliable, so for what it's worth, I'm with you.
    From
    Terrebonne, OR U.S.A.
    Apr 9, 2016, 5:44 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2280

They had several Graflex flash sabers in the movie. It's quite possible that at least one of them did have rivets in the grips... but considering all the other Graflex differences popping up from scene to scene, it's not hard for me to believe that it's also quite possible that at least one had screws in the grips instead of rivets.

From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Apr 9, 2016, 5:56 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2281

A) Logically I can't see why some would have rivets and others screws. I'd think there'd be some organized assembly protocol in the prop dept?
    B) I see the hex hole, but I also think it's a trick of the light. The domes of the fasteners don't appear tall enough for STANDARD hex screws.
    C) BUT there were those weird flat hex screws used in the Launch Bay sabers. They seem to be a weird, oddball item, but...I wonder if it's something like this: http://www.theinsertcompany.com/flat..._stainless.php
  7. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Apr 9, 2016, 6:09 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2282

JJ Griffin said: View Post
    My contact who worked on the props for the film confirmed when I asked yesterday: "Old school. Rivets." I consider my source very reliable, so for what it's worth, I'm with you.
    Incredible! Why don't you invite your contact to this thread, so he (or she?) can answer a bazillion questions?!!
  8. Member Since
    Aug 2014
    Apr 9, 2016, 6:15 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2283

Here's one of the Target Exclusive vids on weapons.

videoshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rit9p4oOub4
  9. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Apr 9, 2016, 7:01 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2284

Aha! I see a clamp cover on his workbench!

Roy
    www.wannawanga.com
  10. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Apr 9, 2016, 7:05 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2285

And here's a view on the wonky textile covered foam grips.

Roy
    www.wannawanga.com
  11. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Apr 9, 2016, 8:53 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2286

The diameter of the saber blade here is larger than I expected... looks large than 1-inch at least.
  12. RPF Premium Member
    Apr 9, 2016, 9:12 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2287

I can see a hex outline in the top rivet in that pic as well--not just the middle--and possibly the bottom. The odds of a "trick of the light" causing a round hole to look, not just like something else, but very much like the other suspected fastener type, and occur not just in one spot but affect the appearance of several fasteners that are attached in a curved plane...I mean, what are the odds of that?
    Last edited by Spyhunter2k; Apr 9, 2016 at 4:04 PM.
  13. JJ Griffin is offline JJ Griffin
    Apr 9, 2016, 9:16 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2288

roygilsing said: View Post
    Incredible! Why don't you invite your contact to this thread, so he (or she?) can answer a bazillion questions?!!
    I really do wish I could. But two things prevent it:

1) they are currently working on the production of the new films, so they're quite busy
    2) they are currently working on the production of the new films, so it could cost them their job

I really, really wish I could share more details or proof but it's an amazing opportunity to be able to work on the props and vehicles for these new movies and I don't want to risk costing anyone that kind of opportunity (or their livelihood).

Of course, no one need believe me! I know I'm just a relative newcomer (especially to Star Wars stuff) shooting my mouth off on the internet. I just wanted to add in my two cents and others are welcome to accept or ignore it as they see fit
  14. this space left blank RPF Premium Member James Kenobi 1138's Avatar
    From
    Dallas Texas
    Apr 9, 2016, 9:59 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2289

Looks like the dueling sabers were made from a solid tube made to look like a Graflex and not an actual Graflex.
  15. RPF Premium Member
    Apr 9, 2016, 10:03 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2290

James Kenobi 1138 said: View Post
    Looks like the dueling sabers were made from a solid tube made to look like a Graflex and not an actual Graflex.
    And it looks like one of those solid tube sabers has the word "Hero" written on it. Yeah, they're srewin' with us.
    From
    Terrebonne, OR U.S.A.
    Apr 9, 2016, 2:37 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2291

cayman shen said: View Post
    A) Logically I can't see why some would have rivets and others screws. I'd think there'd be some organized assembly protocol in the prop dept?
    B) I see the hex hole, but I also think it's a trick of the light. The domes of the fasteners don't appear tall enough for STANDARD hex screws.
    C) BUT there were those weird flat hex screws used in the Launch Bay sabers. They seem to be a weird, oddball item, but...I wonder if it's something like this: http://www.theinsertcompany.com/flat..._stainless.php
    You are assuming that the people responsible for said props and giving them the "ok" are as logical thinking and as caring about such details as most of the people posting in this thread. Everything we have seen so far shows that they are not, lol.

That's a cool looking screw head and I think a similar head may be what is on the grip screws on the Maz chest saber... if it isn't rivets that is.
    Last edited by ARKM; Apr 9, 2016 at 4:58 PM.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 9, 2016, 4:07 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2292

lol you know what i love, for how many months have we been dying for the bluray to finally answer questions? bluray is released and we are STILL arguing over rivets vs screws (hex screws now) lol this has to be a RPF tradition

I'm probably going to stick with rivets, this is like the whole, the dress is blue not green thing awhile back lol

love that work bench pic roy!
    Apr 9, 2016, 4:20 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2293

We can get hex screws and drill/strip the hex out to make it a circle and give it the rivet look ?!
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 9, 2016, 4:22 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2294

so I'm sitting here staring at the workbench picture roy posted and i just keep thinking... who is the guy and in the picture and does he know of therpf?! could you imagine if we could find him!?
  20. Mance Vader RPF Premium Member MCM's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore
    Apr 9, 2016, 6:17 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2295

halliwax said: View Post
    so I'm sitting here staring at the workbench picture roy posted and i just keep thinking... who is the guy and in the picture and does he know of therpf?! could you imagine if we could find him!?
    10 bucks says he's on the RPF already
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 9, 2016, 6:19 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2296

MCM said: View Post
    10 bucks says he's on the RPF already
    omg that would be too perfect...
  22. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Apr 9, 2016, 6:42 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2297

Enlarge his laptop screen... maybe you will see the RPF homepage!
  23. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Apr 9, 2016, 6:55 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2298

Are my eyes doing tricks on me or do I see T-bar strips where they should not be in this photo?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big_startfilmru1317068 copy.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	613082
  24. RPF Premium Member Remote People's Avatar
    Apr 9, 2016, 7:03 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2299

Perhaps he works nearby
    Last edited by Remote People; Apr 24, 2017 at 4:49 PM.
  25. Valar Morghulis RPF Premium Member Serenity's Avatar
    From
    over there
    Apr 9, 2016, 7:10 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #2300

nasaworm said: View Post
    Are my eyes doing tricks on me or do I see T-bar strips where they should not be in this photo?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big_startfilmru1317068 copy.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	613082
    Pretty sure it's just a reflection / trick of the light: