TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

I plan on getting one of Roman's replicas to do my TFA saber and I've heard those won't be available until probably June so I have no problem waiting. The bluray will be out soon enough so plenty of time to nail down the finer details.

The TFA edge connector clamp cards are now available!
http://wannawanga.com/products/edge-connector/

View attachment 585410

As you can see I also have a clamp cover in this picture. This is a sample version.

It's not available yet, I actually need your opinions!

Here are some more pictures:
View attachment 585411 View attachment 585412

View attachment 585413

View attachment 585414

View attachment 585415

This part is stainless steel (0.15 mm) sheet. This is much tougher than you might think. (I tried 0.2 mm, but that's too hard to bend)
As you can see, I made the grooves as cutouts instead of engraving (also called embossing). This gives a very sharp and precise definition.
I also created tabs that go underneath the rectangular Graflex bars. This is a very convenient method of assembling and it's not at all visible as was the case with the much thicker Force FX clamp test.
The surface of the steel comes mat and without brushed texture, but you need to brush it by hand (with 600+ grid sand paper)

So the question is: shall I make THIS version available? (price $15, available in 1-2 weeks)
Or shall I continue the development and make it with engraved grooves and WITH a brushed texture? ($15, available in 5-6 weeks)

Let me know what you think!
This is awesome. Would love to get a brushed version if they are made available.

So I got bitten by the TFA bug and started working on a Graflex. As I was lurking this thread I came across the wonderful veneer made by our very own @E Williams. After ogling his work I sent a PM asking if he planned on producing any for forum members. To my surprise he offered to send me two to test out for free (trust me I tried to offer money but he declined)!!! What a thrill. I received them yesterday but didn't get around to adding them to my build until tonight. They look flawless! Exactly like they do in all of the photos even down to the darker color. The only thing of note is that they aren't as thick as some of the ones in the photos. I presume that they used an actual metal veneer but it could be a trick of the eye.
I've taken this moment to give a sneak peak at the crystal chamber I'm building. Eagle eyed RPF members will notice that the clamp is flipped upside down because I'm going to screw it to the bottom of the 3Cell so I get more reveal when removing the cover. I know I know... for shame. Well I'm planning on making it 96% movie accurate. I even purchased some original t-tracks from the junkyard a few weeks back and am debating adding them.

Thank you so much E.Williams. It's a magnificent part and it fits like a charm. I'm sending you a PM with my comments which are basically, "this is perfect!". I might create a thread on my build when it's all done if it doesn't blow up in my face. I hope it doesn't explode.

edit (PS): Still debating whether to go with the gap on the t-tracks or not. I feel like gaps will give the saber a more svelte look... decisions decisions

IMG_0155.JPGIMG_0154.JPGIMG_0147.JPG

Last edited:
The thin trace lines do not appear to be thin enough to be TFA and are not off center, but looks like a possible match to the ESB v2 clamp card. Compare to Slothfurnace's recent replicas.

On second thought the thin traces on his V2 are thin as well so it's hard to say for sure without knowing the dimensions.

Last edited:
Coming from a card guy, those are close but not a match. The thick plug leads are too thin, and the thin traces are too thick. Wrong shape all around, keep searching!

I did recently find a match, but I sold it to a member. If hes comfortable talking about it, we can share

Coming from a card guy, those are close but not a match. The thick plug leads are too thin, and the thin traces are too thick. Wrong shape all around, keep searching!

I did recently find a match, but I sold it to a member. If hes comfortable talking about it, we can share

If new evidence of more accurate layouts are found, I will not hesitate to update my card layouts and get a new batch ordered. Just throwing that out there.

Sloth's current V2 cards have the ESB pattern on the opposite side. It probably would have been less confusing to call it his V2/ESB card.

Well, I have two cards. One ROTJV2 on one side, with the squared thick trace ESB on the other side. The other, newer card has the TFA layout on one side, and the "ESBV2" layout on the other side. That one has the rounded thicker traces. I only put that on there since I've had requests for it.

Eventually, to save confusion, I might put both ESB layouts on one card, and move the ROTJV2 and TFA layouts together.

Well, I have two cards. One ROTJV2 on one side, with the squared thick trace ESB on the other side. The other, newer card has the TFA layout on one side, and the "ESBV2" layout on the other side. That one has the rounded thicker traces. I only put that on there since I've had requests for it.

Eventually, to save confusion, I might put both ESB layouts on one card, and move the ROTJV2 and TFA layouts together.

Ah. sorry. Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, my Graflex conversion will be an ESB, so having both options on one card would be great.

I personally like your choice to have ESB\TFA front and back, you have every thing you need card wise for a conversion.

Shots are starting to pop up on youtube. I think we'll get a HD blu ray copy very soon. It's funny that the T-Track edges look slightly angled unlike the fathead.

The TFA edge connector clamp cards are now available!
http://wannawanga.com/products/edge-connector/

View attachment 585410

As you can see I also have a clamp cover in this picture. This is a sample version.

It's not available yet, I actually need your opinions!

Here are some more pictures:

This part is stainless steel (0.15 mm) sheet. This is much tougher than you might think. (I tried 0.2 mm, but that's too hard to bend)
As you can see, I made the grooves as cutouts instead of engraving (also called embossing). This gives a very sharp and precise definition.
I also created tabs that go underneath the rectangular Graflex bars. This is a very convenient method of assembling and it's not at all visible as was the case with the much thicker Force FX clamp test.
The surface of the steel comes mat and without brushed texture, but you need to brush it by hand (with 600+ grid sand paper)

So the question is: shall I make THIS version available? (price $15, available in 1-2 weeks)
Or shall I continue the development and make it with engraved grooves and WITH a brushed texture? ($15, available in 5-6 weeks)

Let me know what you think!

That looks amazing, Roy. I'll be picking one up with an edge connector as soon as it's available. I actually like the cut grooves--it adds a lot of definition. I also don't mind doing the brushing myself--If you decide NOT to produce these and end up having samples leftover, let me know! I'd rather have the cut grooves anyway.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back