TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

The TFA edge connector clamp cards are now available!
http://wannawanga.com/products/edge-connector/

edge-connector-TFA-2.jpg

As you can see I also have a clamp cover in this picture. This is a sample version.

It's not available yet, I actually need your opinions!

Here are some more pictures:
TFA-clamp01.jpg TFA-clamp02.jpg

TFA-clamp03.jpg

TFA-clamp04.jpg

TFA-clamp05.jpg

This part is stainless steel (0.15 mm) sheet. This is much tougher than you might think. (I tried 0.2 mm, but that's too hard to bend)
As you can see, I made the grooves as cutouts instead of engraving (also called embossing). This gives a very sharp and precise definition.
I also created tabs that go underneath the rectangular Graflex bars. This is a very convenient method of assembling and it's not at all visible as was the case with the much thicker Force FX clamp test.
The surface of the steel comes mat and without brushed texture, but you need to brush it by hand (with 600+ grid sand paper)

So the question is: shall I make THIS version available? (price $15, available in 1-2 weeks)
Or shall I continue the development and make it with engraved grooves and WITH a brushed texture? ($15, available in 5-6 weeks)

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
That's some nice work Roy. Do the tabs that go under the bars keep the cover rock solid? Does it cause the bars to push out at some wonky angle, or do the sidebars stay as parallel as they would without the clamp cover?

I'm so ready for these parts! BUT, I would much rather purchase it with the correct texture in place. Hand brushing with sandpaper has never given me quite the finish I'd like. I'd much rather have it done in factory. So, my vote is to wait a few more weeks.

Do we know if the grooves are cut or embossed? The cuts look good, but my gut tells me embossed is likely more accurate. My gut is often wrong however.

Both are good, I dont mind brushing it by hand. If its done by the time Kobold clips are back in stock I am a very happy camper if I get all the stuff in one shipment [emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's some nice work Roy. Do the tabs that go under the bars keep the cover rock solid? Does it cause the bars to push out at some wonky angle, or do the sidebars stay as parallel as they would without the clamp cover?

I'm so ready for these parts! BUT, I would much rather purchase it with the correct texture in place. Hand brushing with sandpaper has never given me quite the finish I'd like. I'd much rather have it done in factory. So, my vote is to wait a few more weeks.

Do we know if the grooves are cut or embossed? The cuts look good, but my gut tells me embossed is likely more accurate. My gut is often wrong however.

Yes, it's rock solid and it's perfectly straight. It doesn't make the bars wonky at all.

Texturing is very simple, can hardly go wrong, but I understand what you're saying.

Cut or embossed: I can only judge from the images! I'm worried that embossing makes them too soft, but the picture I took in the cinema from Maz's chest it looks like they're embossed rather than cut. But the in the pictures from the exhibition they look cut. :rolleyes

Yes, it's rock solid and it's perfectly straight. It doesn't make the bars wonky at all.

Texturing is very simple, can hardly go wrong, but I understand what you're saying.

Cut or embossed: I can only judge from the images! I'm worried that embossing makes them too soft, but the picture I took in the cinema from Maz's chest it looks like they're embossed rather than cut. But the in the pictures from the exhibition they look cut. :rolleyes

Haha BELIEVE me, I have gone wrong with texturing many times. I'll buy whatever version you offer, but I'd MUCH prefer it pre-brushed :) Circuit board looks great too btw.

Awesome work Roy : )

Like some of the others here, I'm eager to get my paws on a TFA kit, but I'm happy to wait for the more accurate version...

Looking forward to hearing the rest of the clans' thoughts.

024.jpg

New batch of clampcards are here, including my TFA / ESB V2 card.

ESB/ROTJ V2 Clamp Cards - GOLD plated, Silver Solder Available. Shipping Included.
Plain $21
Silver Solder on ESB Side $26
Silver Solder on ROTJ Side $30
Silver Solder on Both Sides $34

TFA/ESB V2 Clamp Cards - GOLD plated, Silver Solder Available. Shipping Included.
Plain $21
Silver Solder onTFA Side $26
Silver Solder on ESB V2 Side $26
Silver Solder on Both Sides $31

http://www.slothfurnace.com/ or http://www.arduinix.com/Main/Store.htm
Free shipping, make sure to choose your solder option.
Thanks!

New cards look great. It appears you chose not to leave a sliver of card showing on the outer edges of the outer traces on the TFA version. Is this correct?

Thanks

Not necessarily, I left a bit of material on either side of the outside wide traces, but on some it's a touch thicker than others, depending on how they cut them. It's there, but it's subtle. If a customer really wanted me to, I would dig around the stack to find one that's got more edge than the rest.

Damn, that was quick for the clamp covers and the cards.

In my opinion i would wait to see whats accurate regardng the clamp covers.
While the cut iut lines look cool im afraid they may look too deep. Do we know ifnthr screen used saber has the cut out lines?
I would also prefer the brushed steel.

I'd want to wait until we know exactly how the clamp cover was done on the hero saber. I'm in no hurry on making a TFA Graflex, so I'm perfectly happy to wait for total accuracy.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back