TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

If all the FX clamps have the clamp grooves distanced from the square holes as pictured here, then it proves that the film prop doesn't use an FX clamp.

Except that the one in that photo isnt a film used saber, its a Disney launchbay prop, made specifically for that display, which varies from what weve seen in other promo photos and screencaptures.

I just got back from seeing EP7 again, and I'm going to make a bold statement.

The Hero, non-bladed, Screen-Used Lightsaber has grips that are short. There is a 1/8 or less space between the grip and the bottom, and 1/8 or less space between the grip and the clamp. The grips on the EP7 Lightsaber are shorter than the ESB Lightsaber.

You can write that down, save it for April when the Blu-Ray is released, and see that what I've just said is true.

In Maz's box, when Finn is handed the saber by Maz, in the snow, when Rey is bringing the saber up to ignite it, and at the end when Rey is holding the saber out to Luke. In all those shots, the saber grips are 1/8 short of the clamp.

Exactly like the VD.

The Maz box scene is interesting because of how it plays out.

Rey opens the box, but you don't see inside.
Cut to Rey's face.
Cut back to the box and see the saber, but the angle is bad to tell the grip length
Cut back to Rey's face
When it cuts back to Rey reaching in the box to touch the saber, you can clearly see the gap.

At the end, you get basically a side-shot in daylight when Rey first extends the saber and the gap is there.

If you don't believe me, no worries, I'll see you guys in April with the ably-Ray. But if you're making an EP7 Lightsaber and you want it to be accurate. you need to cut grips 1/8 short at the top and the bottom.

I just got back from seeing EP7 again, and I'm going to make a bold statement.

The Hero, non-bladed, Screen-Used Lightsaber has grips that are short. There is a 1/8 or less space between the grip and the bottom, and 1/8 or less space between the grip and the clamp. The grips on the EP7 Lightsaber are shorter than the ESB Lightsaber.

You can write that down, save it for April when the Blu-Ray is released, and see that what I've just said is true.

In Maz's box, when Finn is handed the saber by Maz, in the snow, when Rey is bringing the saber up to ignite it, and at the end when Rey is holding the saber out to Luke. In all those shots, the saber grips are 1/8 short of the clamp.

Exactly like the VD.

The Maz box scene is interesting because of how it plays out.

Rey opens the box, but you don't see inside.
Cut to Rey's face.
Cut back to the box and see the saber, but the angle is bad to tell the grip length
Cut back to Rey's face
When it cuts back to Rey reaching in the box to touch the saber, you can clearly see the gap.

At the end, you get basically a side-shot in daylight when Rey first extends the saber and the gap is there.

If you don't believe me, no worries, I'll see you guys in April with the ably-Ray. But if you're making an EP7 Lightsaber and you want it to be accurate. you need to cut grips 1/8 short at the top and the bottom.

I just watched TFA again last night and I agree with you. The only place that I saw the grips come flush to the bottom is when the saber is stuck in the snow and Kylo and Rey are both attempting to retrieve it. Not necessarily when it first hits the snow (not sure on that) but definitely in the close-up shots after it's in the snow. As for when Rey hands it to Luke, I think you're right but I could not tell for sure.

Just a note... as far as I'm concerned, only what appears in the movie is canon, not the trailers (which as we now know, have scenes in them that are not in the movie itself), nor any deleted scenes from the movie or any behind the scenes pics or vids. Movie only. I just wish everyone thought that same way. You end up with a lot less variations of the same damn hilt that way, lol.

Last edited:
I'm gonna place my bets with James. I think the gaps look great. Now we just gotta get those screws/rivets nailed down! As someone posted earlier I think the grip fasteners are these:http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Screw/p/sm/1049828834.htm which I first took to be ground down button head screws. But I can't find them in small quantities.

I'm going to kindly disagree. If you look at the fathead picture you can see how tall the grips are which is clearly different from the maz kanata saber. It's this version I believe is at the end of the movie. I posted a picture of the saber in the snow earlier in this thread. You can see there is no gap at the bottom of the saber. But like you said April we'll know for sure.

The Grips are short, even in every scene when it's sticking in the snow.

The saber in Finns jacket from the promo shots may or may not be a screen used saber, but the one in the movie has short grips.

maz

Snow shot. See how the T-Tracks are very square edged and go to the end of the grip unlike the Maz saber which has more rounded T-tracks. This straight edged T-Track saber looks very much like the Fathead Finn saber.

See how square ended the T-tracks are? No 30 degree slope unlike the Maz saber which has slightly beveled ends. Also, if you compare how tall the T-Tracks are on the fathead compared to Maz's saber. Loo at the T-Track compare to the activation (I guess length adjust now) box. It's almost as tall. Well, we'll see. Note here that I might be right in April.
:lol

P.S. I just noticed the Fathead also has no gap at the top.
Also, the Kobold ring is resting just at the top of the T-Track in the snow picture. Maybe someone out there can clean it up.

Last edited:
In the Maz photo you posted, you can see the short grips. Look at the top of the top grip up by the clamp and down at the bottom.

Gap. All day.

- - - Updated - - -

And by short grips I don't mean short vs tall, I mean the length is short.

In the Finn fathead, yes the grip height is taller than the other saber grips.

In the Maz photo you posted, you can see the short grips. Look at the top of the top grip up by the clamp and down at the bottom.

Gap. All day.

- - - Updated - - -

And by short grips I don't mean short vs tall, I mean the length is short.

In the Finn fathead, yes the grip height is taller than the other saber grips.

Yes, I agree. The Maz saber definitely has gaps. Clearly bigger than the ESB saber. I'm just maintaining that there are two hero props used. The snow saber has longer T-Tracks than the Maz saber I have quite a few photos but none that are great. IMHO the saber in the snow is the Fathead saber. It looks similar with tall T-tracks. I like that look better with the longer grips. The shorter ones remind me of Anakins ROTS saber which I really dislike.

But you guys are talking like there weren't variations in the saber hilts in ESB alone. I assure you there were. How many close-ups enough to see details were there?

In the Finn fathead photo, you can see in the grip in-line with the clamp the 1/8 gap.

The gap is there in all the other grips also, you just can't see it in that photo due to the angle.

The saber sticking out of the snow has a gap on both ends. If that saber is the Finn fathead saber, it would make sense as the Finn fathead saber grips are short in length just like all the other sabers used in the film.

The Grips are short, even in every scene when it's sticking in the snow.

The saber sticking out of the snow has a gap on both ends. If that saber is the Finn fathead saber, it would make sense as the Finn fathead saber grips are short in length just like all the other sabers used in the film.

I disagree as strongly as anyone can legally disagree (without taking any legal action). I intentionally watched for that very detail all throughout the movie last night. When the saber is stuck in the snow, the grips are 100 % flush with the bottom. I am not mistaking this with the Kobold D-ring base. I am as sure of this as I am that the Earth is round-ish.

The snow saber grips are definitely long. You can tell by the way the kobold ring rests at the top of the t track in the snow pic. If there was a gap you'd see it. Well to each there own. I'm pretty sure I'm right. Next time I see it in gonna bring a better camera.

Anyone can can think otherwise. No harm, no foul.

True but I am as sure that I'm right as anyone can be without being able to prove it, lol. ;) Of course, It's not like I am some sort of authority on the issue so I cannot expect everyone to just take my word for it.

I can understand why you think differently though. The first close-up shot of the Graflex in the snow is a different angle and side than the rest of the close-up shots. In that first shot, it shows the entire length of the Kobold D-Ring base and at an angle that can make it appear as if it is the "extra 1/8" inch past the grips that we see throughout other parts of the movie. However it is not quite as long as the diameter of the Graflex and of course has 90 degree squared-off edges that if you blink, you miss. The other close-up shots however are from a different angle and side of the saber that clearly show the grips going all the way flush to the bottom of the Graflex with no room for misinterpretation. As I said, I was paying very close attention last night, lol. Too bad I wasn't looking for the whole "screws vs. rivets" thing as I forgot all about it (I'm gonna use screws no matter what though so...).

Ps. Pretty sure the fathead doesn't have a gap at the top. Certainly not as big as the Maz shot. Maybe a mm. Can you point out where you see the gap in both the snow and fathead pic?

i was trying to keep track the last time i saw the film. i swear the saber in the snow has long grips. i was mostly focused on the saber in finns hands while the castle was being destroyed. i couldn't get a good view of the grips while in his hand

my theory like others here of the saber in finns pocket is not the screen used saber and built for photo ops... then again theres some photos with him holding the stunt (glow) saber... wish this was easier!!lol

Ps. Pretty sure the fathead doesn't have a gap at the top. Certainly not as big as the Maz shot. Maybe a mm. Can you point out where you see the gap in both the snow and fathead pic?

The blurry photo of the saber in the snow in this thread can't be used to determine anything. It's crazy too low-rez to show anything.

I'll see if I can find an app on my phone to point out the gap in the fathead photo, but it's right there.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back